Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireshark Is Being Ported From GTK+ To Qt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wireshark Is Being Ported From GTK+ To Qt

    Phoronix: Wireshark Is Being Ported From GTK+ To Qt

    The latest high-profile open-source project jumping ship from the GTK+ tool-kit and migrating to Qt is the Wireshark network analyzer...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ4ODM

  • #2
    If only LibreOffice, Thunderbird, and Firefox would switch. I know these don't actually use GTK+, but you guys know what I'm talking about.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by xeekei View Post
      If only LibreOffice, Thunderbird, and Firefox would switch. I know these don't actually use GTK+, but you guys know what I'm talking about.
      Exactly! There's no single reason to use gtk instead Qt.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
        Exactly! There's no single reason to use gtk instead Qt.
        There's one reason. Some fanatic *cough*FUNKstar*cough* don't like the fact that they make money with commercial projects wanting to use their framework.

        Qt is wonderful and should be standard

        Comment


        • #5
          I really like the Qt project, and I've also tried coding against it, and like that it's gaining more and more ground on different platforms. I own both a Nokia N900, N9 and pre-ordered and a Jolla.

          BUT, I really don't like how Qt looks in KDE. I think it's horribly ugly, wastes way to much space (just like Gnome is doing) and somehow looks old and un-designed.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by xeekei View Post
            If only LibreOffice, Thunderbird, and Firefox would switch. I know these don't actually use GTK+, but you guys know what I'm talking about.
            FireFox is being ported to GDK+

            Comment


            • #7
              From the article:
              GTK+ on OS X is a second-class..
              Gtk is a third-class citizen on Windows. Gtk3 hasn't even been ported, the latest "stable" Window$ port is an old version of Gtk2 - not the latest Gtk2 version, but an old version of Gtk2.

              In other words, it makes perfect sense moving to Qt if you care about OSX and Windows. Even on Linux the Gtk OpenGL support hasn't been ported to Gtk3 yet and no plans for doing so.
              Last edited by mark45; 10-17-2013, 10:22 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                I really like the Qt project, and I've also tried coding against it, and like that it's gaining more and more ground on different platforms. I own both a Nokia N900, N9 and pre-ordered and a Jolla.

                BUT, I really don't like how Qt looks in KDE. I think it's horribly ugly, wastes way to much space (just like Gnome is doing) and somehow looks old and un-designed.
                At least it's easy to change the theme in KDE

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                  BUT, I really don't like how Qt looks in KDE. I think it's horribly ugly, wastes way to much space (just like Gnome is doing) and somehow looks old and un-designed.
                  I also got bored of that and installed QtCurve. Problem solved, and it feels faster.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Instead of Qt, why those project don't use WxWidgets? It should adapt on the toolkit you use.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X