Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Won't Get Aura UI Stack Until Google Chrome 33

Phoronix: Linux Won't Get Aura UI Stack Until Google Chrome 33

While Google's Chrome 32 web-browser will feature the Aura UI stack from Chrome OS, the Chrome desktop web-browser on Linux won't get the GPU-accelerated interface until one version later...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Google's goal is to use the same UI stack across Windows, Linux, and Chrome OS (albeit not on OS X or other platforms)
    Why was OS X excluded?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      Why was OS X excluded?
      Google hasn't said yet (not even on their dev blogs) so far the best IDEA people have is that its some sort of technical restriction mac side. Interestingly *BSD isn't getting it either (in the form of Chromium), depending on how much Apple pulls in from the BSD userland, it may actually be a BSD restriction. But again, all speculation.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Google hasn't said yet (not even on their dev blogs) so far the best IDEA people have is that its some sort of technical restriction mac side. Interestingly *BSD isn't getting it either (in the form of Chromium), depending on how much Apple pulls in from the BSD userland, it may actually be a BSD restriction. But again, all speculation.
        There actually was a developer that responded, but I don't remember where. He basically said they don't plan to ever use aura on OSX, because cocoa already gives them a lot of hardware acceleration "for free", so it would just be a waste of development resources.

So not really a technical restriction on the mac side, more that its just not necessary on the mac side.

EDIT: here it is, reply from robert seek who is a chromium developer:

Jul 24
        The Cocoa UI frameworks on Mac provide a lot of rich, sometimes undocumented, behavior that we get for free. Being a true, native Cocoa application is the best thing on the Mac platform -- anything else will have Chrome falling into the uncanny valley. It would also be a lot of engineering cost for little to no benefit (or even a UX deficit).
        Last edited by bwat47; 16 October 2013, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Dammit Chrome, stop doing cool shit. You're making my love for Firefox seem stupid.

P.S. Awesome idea though. Good job. *walks away pissed*

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            Dammit Chrome, stop doing cool shit. You're making my love for Internet Explorer seem stupid.

P.S. Awesome idea though. Good job. *walks away pissed*
            Why would you ever walk away pissed when a web browser does something "cool"? Why not use the best that's available at the time? It's not like you paid a lot of money for your current web browser or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
              Why would you ever walk away pissed when a web browser does something "cool"? Why not use the best that's available at the time? It's not like you paid a lot of money for your current web browser or anything.
              A lot of people like firefox do to mozilla's better respect of user-privacy, and/or because of its superior customization, but become dissatisfied with how slow firefox moves on features such as hardware acceleration. Chrome, safari, and IE currently wipe the floor with firefox when it comes to hardware acceleration :/.

Comment

We don't like google? We don't like google spying on us? We don't know what if any backdoors Google has built into Chrome (not Chromium). I would LOVE to use Chromium but Google doesn't ship a PPEPI version of Flash separate. I COULD do: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/09/how-t...sh-player.html but I haven't tried it yet.

Personally I also LIKE what Mozilla is doing on the Firefox side, and want to show my support. Also all of my stuff is done through Firefox Sync, and I definitely wouldn't trust Google with all of THAT info.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Because I use both Firefox and Google chrome, both on the development branches (Nightly and Canary) and yet I prefer Firefox. Everything about it, in my eyes at least, is better. Google gets to play with cool things like this because their development team is so big, but there are fundamental things about Chrome that make me not want to use it.

If Firefox had more contributors (And if Servo would fucking hurry up) they would be able to play with cool things like this too, and that would make me very happy.

Firefox will remain my default browser, as my only computer is this shitty laptop with "Intel Family Chipset" graphics (AKA Intel graphics before they could be considered "usable") so this cool thing in particular doesn't affect me.

P.S. "What's best that's available at the time" is subjective in most cases.

P.P.S. I also want to support Mozilla as much as possible. If I were to put my faith in either Mozilla or Google, there would be no hesitation in picking Mozilla over Google.

Comment

ok, so the huge advantage of the Aura UI will be ... ?

Comment

Working...
                    X