Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.7.4 Continues With The D3D Command Stream

Phoronix: Wine 1.7.4 Continues With The D3D Command Stream

Wine 1.7.4 has been released as the latest bi-weekly development release of the open-source program to run Windows applications/games on Linux and other operating systems. This latest release continues focusing work on the Direct3D command stream changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

not sure if it is good. If wine will work great in a future, would that be competition against native programs and games? and maybe developers would release games for windows and wine compatible (no native mac and linux). In a close future, phoronix benchmarks of native games vs wine games will be a reality.
    Afterall, im so happy with the improvements.

Comment

The command stream multiple thread patch is just awesome Some native windows games supposedly runs even faster on Linux now. It sure gives a nice boost to World Of Tanks anyway, at some times hitting the 100 FPS mark on my desktop with 3.5Ghz i7-2700K and NVidia GTX 660Ti ^^ Now we need support for DX11.

Although i really hope Wine doesn't become some sort of an incentive for game devs NOT to make games for Linux, but merely as a last resort for Linux gamers to run popular Windows titles that will never get ported...

Comment

On friday compile wine 1.7.4 (previously tested 1.7.3 and before 1.7.1.deb with csm patch founded on linux gaming on reddit)

And i very impressed with wine 1.7.4 (this version is much better with 1.7.1 with patch) on git seems very interesting (pixel, vertex and another functions on command stream announce upgrades but its much better)

On some titles testing: Age of Empires II HD STEAM, Assasins Creed STEAM, Assasins Creed Brotherhood STEAM, Assasins Creed Revelations STEAM, Bioshock 2 STEAM, BloodBowl Legendary Edition STEAM, Bloodrayne 1 GOG, Bloodrayne 2 GOG, Burnout Paradise STEAM, Castlevania Lords of Shadow STEAM, Chaser GOG, Cities XL Platinum STEAM, Clive Barker Jericho STEAM, Confrontation STEAM, Crysis STEAM, Dead Rising 2 STEAM, Devil May Cry 4 STEAM, Divinity II STEAM, Doom 3 STEAM + Wulfen Pack, Enclave STEAM, FarCry STEAM, Game of Thrones STEAM, Guilty Gear XX Reload GOG, Hydrophobia STEAM, Just Cause STEAM, Mafia II STEAM, Mirrors EDGE STEAM, Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition STEAM, MX vs ATV Reflex STEAM, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2010 STEAM, Ninja Blade STEAM, Port Royale GOG, Realms of Ancient War STEAM, Rock of Ages STEAM, Shadow Warrior STEAM, Starwars The Force Unleashed STEAM, Two World II STEAM

Resume, various titles shows more fps performance: Assasins Creed STEAM Assasins Creed Revelations STEAM, Bioshock 2 STEAM, Bloodrayne 1 GOG, Bloodrayne 2 GOG, Burnout Paradise STEAM, Cities XL Platinum STEAM, Clive Barker Jericho STEAM, Dead Rising 2 STEAM, Devil May Cry 4 STEAM, Divinity II STEAM, Doom 3 STEAM + Wulfen Pack, Enclave STEAM, Guilty Gear XX Reload GOG, Hydrophobia STEAM, Just Cause STEAM, Mafia II STEAM, Mirrors EDGE STEAM, Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition STEAM, MX vs ATV Reflex STEAM, Ninja Blade STEAM, Port Royale GOG, Shadow Warrior STEAM, Starwars The Force Unleashed STEAM and Two World II STEAM

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
          On friday compile wine 1.7.4 (previously tested 1.7.3 and before 1.7.1.deb with csm patch founded on linux gaming on reddit)

And i very impressed with wine 1.7.4 (this version is much better with 1.7.1 with patch) on git seems very interesting (pixel, vertex and another functions on command stream announce upgrades but its much better)
          I tried using version 1.7.4 that is now available in playonlinux but there is no performance gain. The 1.7.1 patched version is still a lot faster. Or did you grab the latest git source and compiled? Can't see any mentions about the Direct3D command stream for the latest days....

Comment

Originally posted by birdstream View Post
            The command stream multiple thread patch is just awesome Some native windows games supposedly runs even faster on Linux now. It sure gives a nice boost to World Of Tanks anyway, at some times hitting the 100 FPS mark on my desktop with 3.5Ghz i7-2700K and NVidia GTX 660Ti ^^ Now we need support for DX11.

Although i really hope Wine doesn't become some sort of an incentive for game devs NOT to make games for Linux, but merely as a last resort for Linux gamers to run popular Windows titles that will never get ported...

Can You give relative FPS speed up for 1.7.4 vs no command stream vs 1.7.1+patches (So I can esstimate if WoT will run for me now..)?

(And point me to the guide for installing WoT, I'm struggling with PoL+1.5.4, PoL+1.7.4, Wine1.7.1+patches ... none will run WoT beyound installation )

BTW which kernel do You run?

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
              Can You give relative FPS speed up for 1.7.4 vs no command stream vs 1.7.1+patches (So I can esstimate if WoT will run for me now..)?

(And point me to the guide for installing WoT, I'm struggling with PoL+1.5.4, PoL+1.7.4, Wine1.7.1+patches ... none will run WoT beyound installation )

BTW which kernel do You run?
              Hard to say, really. Because the framrate on my system may vary a lot during gameplay depending on the map. Typically, if there is a lot of destructive objects (such as houses you can ram down and such) on screen the framerate may drop as to the low 20's, with or without the patch. This is something i believe some windows users seem to suffer from too, so it's likely related to the game itself. But generally, without the patch im somewhere around 25 fps and with the patch around 50-60 fps. So yeah, a little more than double the performance If i look up in the air or over a big empty field using the patch the fps shoots to over 100... this is with "ultra" settings!

Hmm.. should not be any issues really to install through PoL. What exactly happens when you try to start the game? What graphics card/drivers do you use? I'm on Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit using kernel 3.8.0 and NVidia driver 319.60 (manually installed)

Comment

I tried using version 1.7.4 that is now available in playonlinux but there is no performance gain. The 1.7.1 patched version is still a lot faster. Or did you grab the latest git source and compiled? Can't see any mentions about the Direct3D command stream for the latest days....
                Hi and sorry for wait for response and for my english (im spanish)

Yes i compile wine using this information:

i install recommended packages and after run ./configure as show "http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guide/installing-wine-source" for ask aditional packages

Only package with need find out kubuntu repository, this packages dont stay on kubuntu repository:

libhal-dev_0.5.14-8ubuntu1_i386.deb
                libhal1_0.5.14-8ubuntu1_i386.deb

My hardware specs is:

Wine 1.7.4
                Nvidia Drivers 331.13
                Kubuntu 13.10 32Bit - Kernel 3.11.0.11 PAE
                CPU: AMD Fusion A4 3300 2.5Ghz (Dual-Core) Stock Clock
                MEM: 8GB DDR3 1333 (2x4) Patriot value (128 bit dual channel: 21.3 gb/s)
                GPU: Zotac Nvidia Geforce GT630 (GK208 28nm: 384 Shaders / 8 ROPS) Zone Edition Passive Cooling 2GB DDR3 64bit 1800Mhz (14.4Gb/s)
                BOARD: MSI A55M P35

And if you have interested on wine, this is my blog:

Last edited by pinguinpc; 18 October 2013, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
                  Hi and sorry for wait for response and for my english (im spanish)

Yes i compile wine using this information:

i install recommended packages and after run ./configure as show "http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guide/installing-wine-source" for ask aditional packages

Only package with need find out kubuntu repository, this packages dont stay on kubuntu repository:

libhal-dev_0.5.14-8ubuntu1_i386.deb
                  libhal1_0.5.14-8ubuntu1_i386.deb

My hardware specs is:

Wine 1.7.4
                  Nvidia Drivers 331.13
                  Kubuntu 13.10 32Bit - Kernel 3.11.0.11 PAE
                  CPU: AMD Fusion A4 3300 2.5Ghz (Dual-Core) Stock Clock
                  MEM: 8GB DDR3 1333 (2x4) Patriot value (128 bit dual channel: 21.3 gb/s)
                  GPU: Zotac Nvidia Geforce GT630 (GK208 28nm: 384 Shaders / 8 ROPS) Zone Edition Passive Cooling 2GB DDR3 64bit 1800Mhz (14.4Gb/s)
                  BOARD: MSI A55M P35

And if you have interested on wine, this is my blog:

Your english is fine. I'm from Sweden

I'm sorry, i compiled straight from Git just now but still slower than with the csmt patched 1.7.1. I don't know if i might have missed something?
                  When you used the patched 1.7.1 version, did you also set StrictDrawOrdering to disable and added the HKCU\Software\Wine\Direct3D\CSMT=enabled registry key? so the registry looks like this:

Comment

Your english is fine. I'm from Sweden

I'm sorry, i compiled straight from Git just now but still slower than with the csmt patched 1.7.1. I don't know if i might have missed something?
                    When you used the patched 1.7.1 version, did you also set StrictDrawOrdering to disable and added the HKCU\Software\Wine\Direct3D\CSMT=enabled registry key? so the registry looks like this:
                    hi

I compile wine from here (i dont use GIT)

But i see your register entries and yes on wine 1.7.1 patched (i use .deb on linuxgaming on reddit) appears this entries but in this wine 1.7.4, CSMT and StrictDrawOrdering not appear i test 1.7.3 and on this appears CSMT for default (on wine 1.7.3 remains same speed) but in 1.7.4 boost on apps because if you see git summary road to 1.7.4, appears pixel, vertex and various buffers instructions to command stream, on 1.7.3 this not implemented

But resuming on practice, boost its too much on titles with works

:cool

Comment

Working...
                    X