Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Gets A Log Viewer For Systemd's Journal

Phoronix: GNOME Gets A Log Viewer For Systemd's Journal

There's a new GNOME application that experienced its first release this morning: GNOME Logs. While there's a lot of work left on the project, GNOME Logs is to serve as a centralized log viewer for the systemd journal on the GNOME desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Honton View Post
    How nice. Systemd is only optional for Gnome, but stuff like this makes the choice much easier.
    Uses glibc, which means CLA.

Time to pick something else, funky.

Comment

Too bad you failed to differ between CA and CLA.
      Even worse for you.

Comment

What do I care anyway? You are off topic because Gnome and systemd is actively opposed to CLA.
        They actively build on software which requires copyright assignment to a third party and whose license can change at any time.

Just like KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          They actively build on software which requires copyright assignment to a third party and whose license can change at any time.

Just like KDE.
          Eh... what? Do you mean GNU? So you think the Free Software Foundation would make all their software proprietary?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            Uses glibc, which means CLA.

Time to pick something else, funky.
            Did you actually check this, or did you just assume your silly troll was at least _technically_ accurate?

Most C code, especially high level GUI apps, doesn't specify a particular C library. So far as I can make out, neither systemd nor GNOME nor anything else mentioned in this article has a specific requirement for the glibc C library.

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
              Eh... what? Do you mean GNU? So you think the Free Software Foundation would make all their software proprietary?
              No, and I don't think Digia would either.

It's funkstar and his copyright assignment paranoia you have to convince.

Originally posted by AdamW
              So far as I can make out, neither systemd nor GNOME nor anything else mentioned in this article has a specific requirement for the glibc C library.
              I didn't claim it specified a requirement, I said they used the GNU libc, which is accurate for most Linux distributions. Including the one funkstar runs.

I apologise for the trollish post, but funkstar tends to provoke it with his hypocritical crusade against anything that's not GNOME.

Comment

It's amazing how predictable Honton is! The only thing I guessed wrong on is that he would spout his bullshit on the Pitivi article.

Related to the article: Good for GNOME I've just recently started using a distro with SystemD (Linux Mint uses Upstart... ) so the journals and stuff is foreign to me. Having a GUI would probably ease the transition by a lot.

Comment

You are forgiven. Still I find it pretty funny you decided to troll this thread to pieces. No one mentioned anything about CLA until you decided it was time to show the world you can't tell the difference between Commercial CLA and FSF CA.
                  Not sure what you're after, Qt or something else. Anyway: GNOME does not want CA or CLA. We say that we're part of GNU. However, nobody assigns their copyright to anyone and that practice is discouraged. See also https://wiki.gnome.org/CopyrightAssignment/Guidelines and https://wiki.gnome.org/CopyrightAssignment.

Note that above wiki mentions: With the Release Team and Board of Directors carefully applying these criteria, the GNOME Foundation hopes to keep the GNOME project unencumbered by control structures that do not align with the spirit of the GNOME community. and that I am on the GNOME release team.

Now glibc using CLA or CA also has nothing to do with GNOME. We're not a deritative.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                    so the journals and stuff is foreign to me. Having a GUI would probably ease the transition by a lot.
                    Journal is really cool because a lot of things are indexed. If you check the design for this Logs application, you'll see that the idea is that the journal would distinguish between the various applications and log their output. Meaning: no need to ask people to run some command in the terminal or look at stuff like ~/.cache/gdm/session.log (lately if not using journal) or ~/.xsession-errors (older), etc. Everything would be captured by default

Note: journal lately is a bit slow on my install, so that must be fixed. It used to be ok, guess some kind of regression.

Comment

Working...
                    X