Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mozilla Continues Advancing, Promoting Rust Language

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mozilla Continues Advancing, Promoting Rust Language

    Phoronix: Mozilla Continues Advancing, Promoting Rust Language

    The Mozilla developers driving the Rust Programming Language have released version 0.8 of their language and compiler. Rust 0.8 has more than 2,200 changes with many bug-fixes and a few language-related changes...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ3MDc

  • #2
    To me, Rust seems like a Scala for C

    Comment


    • #3
      As a programmer, I'm sick of having to deal with so many programming languages. I remember the times of CP/M and its Basic interpreter with nostalgia...

      A good slogan would be: Rust, the "new kid on the block".

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by wargames View Post
        As a programmer, I'm sick of having to deal with so many programming languages. I remember the times of CP/M and its Basic interpreter with nostalgia...

        A good slogan would be: Rust, the "new kid on the block".
        I agree, there are way too many languages out there that are general purpose. I have no major issues with languages designed for a specific purpose (such as database languages or robot languages and so on) but there are dozens of languages out there that could just simply "go away". Off the top of my head, ruby, D, and delphi are a few that don't need to exist. Obviously if we were to "vote a language off the island", there's always going to be somebody upset about it. But IMO it's all about what languages accomplish their goals the best.

        Comment


        • #5
          Just had a quick look into their docs, reads almost as someone tried to stuff as many keywords into it as possible. Reading somewhat more complex rust code must be serious fun... Not something I would expect from a modern, practical language.

          Comment


          • #6
            Multiprocess by default having good scalability on many (2-8-16-32-...) cores.
            Will be nice to have a browser/OS compiled in Rust.

            Comment


            • #7
              Linux kernel

              Imagine if the Linux kernel were ported to Rust...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                I agree, there are way too many languages out there that are general purpose. I have no major issues with languages designed for a specific purpose (such as database languages or robot languages and so on) but there are dozens of languages out there that could just simply "go away". Off the top of my head, ruby, D, and delphi are a few that don't need to exist. Obviously if we were to "vote a language off the island", there's always going to be somebody upset about it. But IMO it's all about what languages accomplish their goals the best.
                I'd say Python should go before Ruby, I really don't like languages that are dependant on white space.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by log0 View Post
                  Just had a quick look into their docs, reads almost as someone tried to stuff as many keywords into it as possible. Reading somewhat more complex rust code must be serious fun... Not something I would expect from a modern, practical language.
                  Our keywords: as, break, do, else, enum, extern, true, false, fn, for, if, impl, let, loop, match, mod, mut, once, priv, pub, ref, return, static, self, super, return, trait, type, unsafe, use, while, be, yield, typeof

                  34, compared to python's 31, C's 33, or C++'s 87. I don't really see what the problem is?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                    To me, Rust seems like a Scala for C
                    That's pretty much it. This looks exactly like the choice that C developers need.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X