Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine 1.7.2 Brings A Couple Of Changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wine 1.7.2 Brings A Couple Of Changes

    Phoronix: Wine 1.7.2 Brings A Couple Of Changes

    The latest bi-weekly Wine development release, Wine 1.7.2, is now available...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ2MTQ

  • #2
    I'm waiting since years that Dungeon Keeper Gold finally works with WINE. :/
    http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3542

    Comment


    • #3
      We should constantly report issues on wine to their database. I am using playonlinux dont know how wine really works. They don't accept playonlinux so my reports are not valid. But I definitely have issues on games that I have tried. But they have started in many cases so with little tuning they might work well.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by deri View Post
        We should constantly report issues on wine to their database. I am using playonlinux dont know how wine really works. They don't accept playonlinux so my reports are not valid. But I definitely have issues on games that I have tried. But they have started in many cases so with little tuning they might work well.
        Playonlinux isn't valid since it mish-mashes wine versions and in some cases installs / runs programs with custom settings. It'd be like you ripping apart your /etc/ folder and then complaining to Fedora/Ubuntu/SUSE/Arch/etc that you broke your install. And yes, Crossover does the same thing, but its different because they KNOW the wine codebase and keep track of changed / custom settings, also THEY are upstream (In my above example they would BE the Fedora/Ubuntu/SUSE/etc developers, not the end-user)

        Comment


        • #5
          After all these years and it still sucks.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Playonlinux isn't valid since it mish-mashes wine versions and in some cases installs / runs programs with custom settings. It'd be like you ripping apart your /etc/ folder and then complaining to Fedora/Ubuntu/SUSE/Arch/etc that you broke your install. And yes, Crossover does the same thing, but its different because they KNOW the wine codebase and keep track of changed / custom settings, also THEY are upstream (In my above example they would BE the Fedora/Ubuntu/SUSE/etc developers, not the end-user)
            I wouldnt dramatize it that much Wine OOB just doesnt work you have to change something and yes main reason why Wine devs discards Playonlinux bug reports because most/always? of time POL uses really old Wine version
            Last edited by Ramiliez; 09-13-2013, 07:19 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Applying playonlinux using newer version of wine is not valid argument. IT's really easy. The most time is taken by your internet provider downloading files if you don't have them.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by wargames View Post
                After all these years and it still sucks.
                Works For Me (TM)
                Well, it used to, but after your tremendously helpful/insightful comment, I'm not going to use it anymore. Thanks for showing us the light!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  Works For Me (TM)
                  Well, it used to, but after your tremendously helpful/insightful comment, I'm not going to use it anymore. Thanks for showing us the light!
                  Everytime I've needed to run a Windows application it has not worked. And no, I don't want to use winetricks and install some dlls, because if it doesn't work out of the box I would rather install a copy of Windows XP under Virtualbox or qemu. And since I'm not Richard Stallman, I don't hate closed source per se unless it is abusive or bloated like the latest Windows versions.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by wargames View Post
                    Everytime I've needed to run a Windows application it has not worked. And no, I don't want to use winetricks and install some dlls, because if it doesn't work out of the box I would rather install a copy of Windows XP under Virtualbox or qemu. And since I'm not Richard Stallman, I don't hate closed source per se unless it is abusive or bloated like the latest Windows versions.
                    LOL. So to recap; Because you are unwilling to spend (literally) 1 minute, maybe two; installing various MS runtime(s), DLLs, Fonts and components that nearly all windows applications are going to require (via winetricks), In your mind it is Wine that is broken? LOL. ... Is your brain broken?

                    I think you have unrealistic / impractical expectations of the project. Wine Can't ship MS DLLs/runtime/etc and the only reason Wine doesn't work for you is because you won't install stuff that apps are going to need... May i ask; What do you do in Windows when you have to manually install something?? (or any other OS for that matter...because in all of them, you bump into situations where XYZ app does not run OOTB or needs something extra...it's not very uncommon.)...

                    EDIT: I'd also like to add; Wine works just great over here. I can run any of the programs that i want, no problem..

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ninez View Post
                      LOL. So to recap; Because you are unwilling to spend (literally) 1 minute, maybe two; installing various MS runtime(s), DLLs, Fonts and components that nearly all windows applications are going to require (via winetricks), In your mind it is Wine that is broken? LOL. ... Is your brain broken?

                      I think you have unrealistic / impractical expectations of the project. Wine Can't ship MS DLLs/runtime/etc and the only reason Wine doesn't work for you is because you won't install stuff that apps are going to need... May i ask; What do you do in Windows when you have to manually install something?? (or any other OS for that matter...because in all of them, you bump into situations where XYZ app does not run OOTB or needs something extra...it's not very uncommon.)...

                      EDIT: I'd also like to add; Wine works just great over here. I can run any of the programs that i want, no problem..
                      Head over to winehq.org and see if all programs work, because there are a lot rated as "garbage". About the DLLs... they shouldn't need to ship MS DLLs if they are trying to emulate them. If they can't, you end up with some kind of cyborg (half emulated - half native), for sure not open source anymore (Richard Stallman would cry if you used a closed source DLL). And that's exactly my point, why use a cyborg when you can use the "real thing" ? According to winehq.org, the project started in 1993, that's 20 years. If they have not managed to achieve a working piece of software in 20 years... well, maybe they should change business. This is obviously my opinion, and I respect yours.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Wine works just fine. I'm able to run fomat factory, virtualdub (using ffdshow for decoding), avisynth scripts, Emule Extreme (this was such an surprise), games like Medal OF Honor Pacific Assault and Cossaks for example. Even atube catcher worked for me.
                        Wine can be what it was supossed to be: a complete compatibility layer of windows that can run any windows app in linux. Back in 2008 the project was likely to fail but now they've managed to get something working properly. I kneel to these developers. They deserve our support.

                        P.S: Sorry for bad english.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by wargames View Post
                          Head over to winehq.org and see if all programs work, because there are a lot rated as "garbage". About the DLLs... they shouldn't need to ship MS DLLs if they are trying to emulate them. If they can't, you end up with some kind of cyborg (half emulated - half native), for sure not open source anymore (Richard Stallman would cry if you used a closed source DLL). And that's exactly my point, why use a cyborg when you can use the "real thing" ? According to winehq.org, the project started in 1993, that's 20 years. If they have not managed to achieve a working piece of software in 20 years... well, maybe they should change business. This is obviously my opinion, and I respect yours.
                          Why would somebody care about it being all open source or not if you are going to use it to run windows stuff ?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by wargames View Post
                            Head over to winehq.org and see if all programs work, because there are a lot rated as "garbage". About the DLLs... they shouldn't need to ship MS DLLs if they are trying to emulate them. If they can't, you end up with some kind of cyborg (half emulated - half native), for sure not open source anymore (Richard Stallman would cry if you used a closed source DLL). And that's exactly my point, why use a cyborg when you can use the "real thing" ? According to winehq.org, the project started in 1993, that's 20 years. If they have not managed to achieve a working piece of software in 20 years... well, maybe they should change business. This is obviously my opinion, and I respect yours.
                            I'm quite aware of WineHQ, thanks. I didn't say that ALL programs run, I said that "i can run all of the programs that I like". Which i can. I run several Plugin Suites / boxsets (VSTs) in Wine very reliably, good performance. Wine is intended to be able to use Windows DLLs / i don't think the idea is to re-write any and every dll in Windows. -> You may have the expectation that anything less than porting every last DLL / component, means that Wine is junk - but that's a pretty unreasonable expectation to begin. It also doesn't change the fact that your problem with Wine not working is your own fault... The problem is your thinking, not Wine.

                            Also, it does not make Wine any less oensource - Wine is LGPL to begin with - ie: it's intended to be able to be used with and/or have Non-GPL components linking against it; including proprietary S/W... Again, you claim that it isn't a working peice of software - yet i have tons of applications that run fine && you also must not be aware of the fact that Wine is used in several peices of Commercial H/W (high-end Proaudio gear). ie: i don't think they need to change business; Several successful commercial versions of Wine + winelib has been used to port many applications over the years in Linux && MacOSX. Other S/W also has leveraged Wine code / Codeweavers expertise; ie: paid work for those developers..

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The problem is that I don't know which combonents to install. An advice is to check wine database. But I don't learn anything from that when copying other users. I have no clue how they have solved the issues they are facing with wine. I have recently checked wine git and I have seen really empty files basically just some definations. No wonder those files don't work.

                              Get any game you want. Search it's name on youtube with +wine and you surely find a gamer that has got it working on wine.

                              But when I try to do the same I don't get the exact results.

                              Now I have tried metro 2033 and I have some weird issues on the starting screen.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X