Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google To Bring New Packaged Chrome Apps To Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    never understood (and probably never will) the fascination with web-based applications and software.

    Always prefer to have all my software run natively within the operating system as installed native applications and not as some layer over a web application.
    You and me both. Which reminds me, if you happen to use Windows, rumor is Windows 10 will be completely Cloud based -- I guess that will not sit well with you either. I personally don't use Windows anymore, since 2012. I made the switch and never looked back. Unlike most, I didn't need to rationalize my use of Windows. App and Game replacements were everywhere and Steam had just arrived.

    I can't stand the cloud. The bad just outweighs the good and I like things to be in MY control.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
      You and me both. Which reminds me, if you happen to use Windows, rumor is Windows 10 will be completely Cloud based -- I guess that will not sit well with you either. I personally don't use Windows anymore, since 2012. I made the switch and never looked back. Unlike most, I didn't need to rationalize my use of Windows. App and Game replacements were everywhere and Steam had just arrived.

      I can't stand the cloud. The bad just outweighs the good and I like things to be in MY control.
      It's actually about 90+% who don't care nor like cloud related crap, unless its a rare legit use case like db or super computing. I recall stats a year ago only about 1% users using google's online office suite, pretty much anyone else preferred libre/ms office.

      Not that it's useless, in some cases its better, it's just overly hyped and technically unsound and inferior when it comes to native desktop solutions.

      Regardless, cloud = no security nor privacy.

      Cloud is a SAAS/SOA rebranded. Win 10 won't be cloud based unless as an option or they'll have to back down like they did with the start button in win 8 - usability always wins over hype and design.
      Last edited by mark45; 09-07-2013, 10:12 AM.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by abral View Post
        Firefox has supported this since last year (on every OS: Linux, *BSD, Mac, Windows, Android, Firefox OS).
        You mean Firefox Marketplace?
        https://marketplace.firefox.com/

        Well, there is no link to it anywhere from Firefox, and nobody have ever heard of it.
        I thought it was just for Firefox phones, until I looked it up today.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          never understood (and probably never will) the fascination with web-based applications and software.

          Always prefer to have all my software run natively within the operating system as installed native applications and not as some layer over a web application.
          The cloud hype comes from software vendors, not users. There are a number of advantages to web-based applications from the point of view of a vendor. You are trying to understand why user preference would be driving this, but fact is that user preference has nothing to do with it.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            It's actually about 90+% who don't care nor like cloud related crap, unless its a rare legit use case like db or super computing. I recall stats a year ago only about 1% users using google's online office suite, pretty much anyone else preferred libre/ms office.

            Not that it's useless, in some cases its better, it's just overly hyped and technically unsound and inferior when it comes to native desktop solutions.

            Regardless, cloud = no security nor privacy.

            Cloud is a SAAS/SOA rebranded. Win 10 won't be cloud based unless as an option or they'll have to back down like they did with the start button in win 8 - usability always wins over hype and design.
            I think the 400+ million GMail users would disagree. Cloud also doesn't have to be insecure, nor is it usually less secure than using your credit card online.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by Cybolic View Post
              I think the 400+ million GMail users would disagree. Cloud also doesn't have to be insecure, nor is it usually less secure than using your credit card online.
              I'll grant you this. Communications / social / collaborative functionality is better provided by cloud services.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by Cybolic View Post
                I think the 400+ million GMail users would disagree. Cloud also doesn't have to be insecure, nor is it usually less secure than using your credit card online.
                Gmail is great for anyone who wants his private life to be datamined and profiled for advertising. Same applies for using Chrome etc

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                  You and me both. Which reminds me, if you happen to use Windows, rumor is Windows 10 will be completely Cloud based -- I guess that will not sit well with you either. I personally don't use Windows anymore, since 2012. I made the switch and never looked back. Unlike most, I didn't need to rationalize my use of Windows. App and Game replacements were everywhere and Steam had just arrived.

                  I can't stand the cloud. The bad just outweighs the good and I like things to be in MY control.
                  I use (and very much enjoy) Windows 8 but they are going to have to pry local user accounts out of my cold dead hands.

                  Not that I can't see why Microsoft will recommend logging in to Windows using a Microsoft account; imagine logging in and having all your preferences and system configurations automatically transferred over from the home desktop PC to a notebook / Surface tablet without having to do a thing, and vice versa. It's a great idea that I can appreciate, except that I'm not ready to dump all my personal information in Microsoft's servers yet (or any organization's servers whoever they may be).


                  Originally posted by Serge
                  The cloud hype comes from software vendors, not users. There are a number of advantages to web-based applications from the point of view of a vendor. You are trying to understand why user preference would be driving this, but fact is that user preference has nothing to do with it.
                  Many people i know in my country are hopping onto webapps, both users and developers alike. User preference has got to play a part somehow.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                    You and me both. Which reminds me, if you happen to use Windows, rumor is Windows 10 will be completely Cloud based -- I guess that will not sit well with you either. I personally don't use Windows anymore, since 2012. I made the switch and never looked back. Unlike most, I didn't need to rationalize my use of Windows. App and Game replacements were everywhere and Steam had just arrived.

                    I can't stand the cloud. The bad just outweighs the good and I like things to be in MY control.
                    Even if Ballmer did intend to turn Windows 10 into a cloud OS keep in mind that that idiot is finally being kicked out and that means that someone else is going to be coming in who probably isn't going to agree with that idea, but until we know who the successor is going to be we can't make a for sure guess on that.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      You mean Firefox Marketplace?
                      https://marketplace.firefox.com/

                      Well, there is no link to it anywhere from Firefox, and nobody have ever heard of it.
                      I thought it was just for Firefox phones, until I looked it up today.
                      Yeah, I guess Mozilla is just not as good as Google when it comes to marketing

                      Anyway I don't see what's the difference between an application written in JS/HTML and an application written in any other language. It's just a language, a framework, there's no direct link between cloud apps and web apps. Any application, not only web-based ones, could use cloud services and could harm our privacy.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X