Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipelight: A Way To Get Netflix On Linux

Phoronix: Pipelight: A Way To Get Netflix On Linux

Pipelight is a new open-source project for getting Microsoft Silverlight applications to run within web-browsers on Linux, including the widely sought after Netflix Player on Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQzODk

Tried to get it to work on Fedora, had to jump through some hoops, got it to say
    Code:
    [PIPELIGHT] Init sucessfull!
    but it still fails to load

Comment

Hopefully pipelight will allow for GPU decoding, otherwise get ready for 100% CPU pegging and laggy as all hell video like we got with netflix-desktop

Comment

Using the more wine dependent Netflix hack. I am excited that there is progress towards more linux native options. I imagine it might take a few days/weeks to work out kinks...

Comment

This is using the same wine hack for silverlight but using xembed (as far as I have seen) to use it as a plugin for native browsers.
          https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...ozilla_Plugins

No idea if gpu decoding with silverlight through wine works (probably not) but the display in a native browser may help performance. Whenever I tried netflix-desktop the firefox in wine would often just freeze up or be laggy as hell, even when not even using the silverlight plugin.

Comment

I don't get it, I thought Moonlight was a way to watch netflix stuff on linux. I don't use netflix so I'm not sure if that's still valid or not.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I don't get it, I thought Moonlight was a way to watch netflix stuff on linux. I don't use netflix so I'm not sure if that's still valid or not.
              Moonlight doesn't implement the proprietary microsoft DRM netflix requires.
              This wouldn't be an issue because silverlight never got close to catching on, but for some reason Netflix is still using it albeit slowly moving towards html5(which linux probably STILL won't be able to use)

to be fair, if they used flash we probably still couldn't use it, HBOGO recently blocked me from viewing their content on linux and it's flash based.

Comment

Another soon to be dead project.

Netflix is ditching silverlight:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...e-dramatically

Comment

Got Silverlight 5.1 to work and the FPS is a lot better BUT I am not able to get Netflix to work. XEmbed patch or config is not correct.

Comment

Hi,

I am one of the developers of Pipelight. Did you also apply the other patches from Erich E. Hoover http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ehoover.../wine-patches/ which are required to get DRM working? If you have any problems, you can also find me in the #pipelight channel on Freenode.

Michael

Comment

For some reason nobody of the governmental regulation services think it's weird that basically all bigger streaming services are required to use proprietary microsoft technology that only works on microsoft or apple's operating systems. As far as I have read the film industry just says "use this microsoft drm or you won't get movie licenses"

This is not only netflix, but also amazon's lovefilm or the german watchever.de. Only hulu seems to use flash? Not sure, since I can't access it from germany to watch content anyway.

Comment

HOLY SHIT, STOP THE PRESSES!!! Larabel actually managed to post an article with a RELEVANT LINK and NO LINK BACKS TO PREVIOUS ARTICLES!

Someone call the authorities, something is very wrong with him today!

Comment

Can anyone confirm if the playback is any smoother than on netflix-desktop?

Comment

I don't know of the feature state of Moonlight but: why don't use it?

Comment

Fuck it indeed

I don't get it why people waste time bending over to Hollywood's greedy cocks. "Don't feed the trolls", as the Internet evergreen saying goes. As long as the Hollywood rather see me warez than paying for the content, I sure as hell will warez all night long. DRM means don't buy it.

Originally posted by madjr View Post
                              Another soon to be dead project.

Netflix is ditching silverlight:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...e-dramatically
                              Those HTML5 DRM APIs are experimental stuff, which may or may not ever become part of the actual standard. There was supposed to be a meeting last June, where some decisions were supposed to be made, but I can't find any news concerning the outcome. Anyways that DRM stuff might not be platform-independent, although the W3C specs said the target is to avoid strict dependencies. Basically the "HTML5 DRM API" is just a proprietary Internet Explorer (+ Chrome Book) extension at this point. Sounds familiar?
                              Last edited by curfew; 08-18-2013, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X