Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPV, A New Fork Of MPlayer/MPlayer2

Phoronix: MPV, A New Fork Of MPlayer/MPlayer2

MPV is yet another fork of the mplayer/mplayer2 code-base, but it does at least offer up some changes over the code currently found in MPlayer2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sometimes the nuclear option is the only option you've got to shake people out of apathy. Personally I always hated the mplayer -> mplayer 2 fork, if youre gonna fork dont make your fork sound like a version-up its just douchey.

Best of luck to the MPV devs, i hope it wakes people up in both camps.
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Sometimes the nuclear option is the only option you've got to shake people out of apathy. Personally I always hated the mplayer -> mplayer 2 fork, if youre gonna fork dont make your fork sound like a version-up its just douchey.
      I sign under this.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
        I sign under this.
        I approve your signature.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          I approve your signature.
          First time we agree, I guess.

Comment

So how is SMPV coming along, then?

I used to use SMPlayer 2, then after the last reinstall I decided to give SMPlayer a try (as it's in Packman Essentials, while SMPlayer 2 is in Packman Multimedia). However, in my case it was super unstable. Going out of fullscreen tended to make MPlayer crash, if not freeze the whole system. So I'm back to SMPlayer 2 again. I like its interface a bit more than SMPlayer's, too.

Comment

FYI: mpv also supports wayland

Comment

mpv is not really new, it has been around and full of improvements for almost a year now.

Comment

Anyone have a clue what they mean "dead platforms" ?
                  I ask because I've been following threads like this one (link).

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
                    Anyone have a clue what they mean "dead platforms" ?
                    I ask because I've been following threads like this one (link).
                    os/2, irix, dos, 3dfx support and other stuff from the 90s / early 2000s

Comment

Working...
                    X