Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gnash Flash Player Still Advancing, But No New Release

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Flash is still relevant on the web due to porno.
    Plus some older vidoes, animations and games that likely won't ever be ported to HTML5.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by dee. View Post
      Plus some older vidoes, animations and games that likely won't ever be ported to HTML5.
      Nobody really cares about those old pixly 240p videos and 1996 SWFv3 flash animations and games.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Nobody really cares about those old pixly 240p videos and 1996 SWFv3 flash animations and games.
        Right, because people totally stopped making flash animations & games after 1996.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Nobody really cares about those old pixly 240p videos and 1996 SWFv3 flash animations and games.
          You clearly haven't been in university for a long time! In a 120 person amphitheater, maybe at least half spend their time on video websites or flash games websites like Kongregate.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
            You clearly haven't been in university for a long time! In a 120 person amphitheater, maybe at least half spend their time on video websites or flash games websites like Kongregate.
            Yes, and if they didn't, well nobody is watching or playing that.
            Maybe a handful of people.

            Not enough to keep Flash alive.
            What is really keeping Flash alive is porno.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              What is really keeping Flash alive is porno.
              Amen.

              Originally posted by peppercats View Post
              Shumway IMHO is a much more interesting project.
              I don't really like the idea of something which in use tends to be relatively resource intensive on its own to be implemented in a scripting language.

              Comment


              • #17
                All those flash videos will probably port over to HTML5 around the time the new DRM extensions become widespread. That's the whole point of them, to finally kill off flash.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  All those flash videos will probably port over to HTML5 around the time the new DRM extensions become widespread. That's the whole point of them, to finally kill off flash.
                  IF they become widespread. There's still hope we can keep DRM away from web standards. Especially in the form of this shitty EME thing, since it really solves nothing and is actually worse than Flash. Flash at least is a single standard that everyone uses, and it works reasonably well on Linux. If EME becomes widespread, it'll just replace Flash with 10 zillion proprietary browser extensions, one for each corporation/website, and you can guess if they're going to support Linux...

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by dee. View Post
                    IF they become widespread. There's still hope we can keep DRM away from web standards. Especially in the form of this shitty EME thing, since it really solves nothing and is actually worse than Flash. Flash at least is a single standard that everyone uses, and it works reasonably well on Linux. If EME becomes widespread, it'll just replace Flash with 10 zillion proprietary browser extensions, one for each corporation/website, and you can guess if they're going to support Linux...
                    We've already had this discussion, and that's not true. The browser will form an abstraction layer. There will be 1 plugin for windows, 1 for mac, and.... Well, probably none for linux. Unless some corporation steps up and starts selling them.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      How come hulu does just fine without DRM but every other streaming service says they absolutely require it

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X