Mozilla Firefox 23.0 Now In Beta With New Features

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by powdigsig View Post
    And there's no browser out there that still supports it? Firefox is not the only browser around.
    This is an example: lynx browser org
    True, but text-mode browsers will do only as long as XTerm supports blinking text. Right now it does. Unfortunately, the framebuffer console doesn't seem to support it, it will give a bright background instead. I haven't tried if kmscon supports it, I'm not doing it just now because I'm afraid that it could crash my X session.

Comment

Originally posted by peppepz View Post
      On a side note, I just discovered that you can no longer disable JavaScript in Firefox 23. The reason is fear that a stupid user could navigate deeply into the advanced preferences dialog box, disable JavaScript in there, see that the internets are no longer working for him, become more stupid during the process as to not being able to navigate into the preferences dialog box and turn JavaScript on again, and then recover his smartness at least for the time required to file a bug report to Mozilla about the internet being broken.
      Use noscript. Much more practical then disabling javascript completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Firefox 23 with h.264 support on Linux
        Kernel 3.10 with Radeon UVD support
        Kernel 3.11 with Radeon DPM support
        KDE 4.11 with some of the biggest changes (I think) in a long time

The next 2-3months are gonna be very interesting for the OSS community haha
        I just tried kde 4.11 on a kubuntu 13.10 live usb yesterday. man, on intel hd4000 its night and day. Not only is video tearing finally fixed, but Kwin's performance is massively improved, it was so butter smooth compared to 4.10. I'll probably be switching once 4.11 it comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by peppepz View Post
          On a side note, I just discovered that you can no longer disable JavaScript in Firefox 23. The reason is fear that a stupid user could navigate deeply into the advanced preferences dialog box, disable JavaScript in there, see that the internets are no longer working for him, become more stupid during the process as to not being able to navigate into the preferences dialog box and turn JavaScript on again, and then recover his smartness at least for the time required to file a bug report to Mozilla about the internet being broken.

A modest proposal to Mozilla: just disable the preferences dialog box, all of it. Advanced users can still manage their preferences through about:config, while non-technical users will be obviously scared away by the disclaimer they get when they try to get in there. You will decrease your support burden this way. Well, possibly your user base too, depending on whether you have more users who like to customise their browsing experience to the point of replacing the built-in browser which was comfortably installed by default on their operating system, or you have more users that disable JavaScript and then submit bug reports.
          </rant>
          Totally disabling javascript is rather stupid and will break most sites, it makes sense to move a "destructive" action like that to about:config to avoid users accidentally enabling it. They didn't remove anything, they just moved an advanced option to where it belongs.

I'd recommend using the noscript extension rather than disabling javascript completelty anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Firefox 23 with h.264 support on Linux
            [...]

What happens to distros which refuse to support proprietary codes and rely on Firefox as default browser?

so options they might have:
            • abolish their "no proprietary codecs" policy
            • make a exception of the policy or ignore that Firefox 23+ has h264 support
            • remove Firefox from their repository
            • include only a modified version of Firefox 23+ in their repo, which doesn't support h264

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
              What happens to distros which refuse to support proprietary codes and rely on Firefox as default browser?

• include only a modified version of Firefox 23+ in their repo, which doesn't support h264
              You seem to misunderstand. Firefox is NOT including H.264 by default. They are just using Gstreamer which has a plugin to support H.264 and distributions can choose to include that plugin ... or not. The only advantage is that if you do have that plugin installed, Firefox will play videos in that codec.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                [...]
                ah yes I did

Thank you for the clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post

Distros would absolutely not have to include a modified firefox. This change simply compiles firefox with gstreamer support, *Not* "h.264" support. All firefox is doing is generically supporting gstreamer, so that any content gstreamer has plugins installed to play, firefox can play. Nothing changes for distros, most distros don't ship with an h.264 plugin already. There is nothing proprietary about gstreamer itself.

For the end user they simply need to install the right gstreamer plugin to be able to play h.264 in firefox, and these plugins are easily available in most distros repos (and in some distros by default. Interestingly enough debian wheezy actually has the gstreamer ffmpeg plugin by default now so has h.264 support out of the box)
                  Last edited by bwat47; 06-29-2013, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                    Totally disabling javascript is rather stupid and will break most sites.
                    No, it's not stupid, to the point that there's a very popular extension that does just that and you're even suggesting me to install it. Anyway, I think I've whined enough about that, after all as long as Mozilla don't disable about:config in Firefox (which for coherence they should do, as it contains lots of "destructive" options), it's not a big deal to go and disable JavaScript in there the few times it's needed.

I haven't tried if kmscon supports it, I'm not doing it just now because I'm afraid that it could crash my X session
                    Ok now I've tried, kmscon doesn't support the blink attribute. :'-(

Comment

Working...
                    X