Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H.264 / GStreamer Turned On For Firefox On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • H.264 / GStreamer Turned On For Firefox On Linux

    Phoronix: H.264 / GStreamer Turned On For Firefox On Linux

    New builds of Mozilla Firefox for Linux now support H.264 video content in conjunction with GStreamer...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM5NzU

  • #2
    Good, means more HTML5 on YouTube support

    Comment


    • #3
      But, but, my firefox had H264 through GStreamer for at least half a year!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by grigi View Post
        But, but, my firefox had H264 through GStreamer for at least half a year!
        By default?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          Good, means more HTML5 on YouTube support
          While i am not against it the main problem remains. Most websites still use h264 instead of something open. Apple as it seems is one of the main reasons for it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            While i am not against it the main problem remains. Most websites still use h264 instead of something open. Apple as it seems is one of the main reasons for it.
            h264 is actually open, but patent encumbered; something that matters in 4 or 5 countries.
            In any case, it is time for h265, vp9 and Daala.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
              h264 is actually open, but patent encumbered; something that matters in 4 or 5 countries.
              In any case, it is time for h265, vp9 and Daala.
              Which one of them is the US, where most computer tech is based and things like that matter.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                By default?
                I was using the Gentoo ebuild, with the gstreamer USE flag set. maybe it was just enabling experimental code?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by grigi View Post
                  I was using the Gentoo ebuild, with the gstreamer USE flag set. maybe it was just enabling experimental code?
                  Most likely.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by grigi View Post
                    I was using the Gentoo ebuild, with the gstreamer USE flag set. maybe it was just enabling experimental code?
                    AFAIK you had to built it with gstreamer support -as in your case- to get it to work. I don't think any distro was doing that.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X