Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VP9 Codec Now Enabled By Default In Chrome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • VP9 Codec Now Enabled By Default In Chrome

    Phoronix: VP9 Codec Now Enabled By Default In Chrome

    Google has just enabled their new, royalty-free VP9 video codec within their Chromium / Chrome web-browser...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM5MDU

  • #2
    This is so important for me that I just MUST comment!
    I use WebM, VP8 (the previous version) and if youtube won't play the video for me in WebM in Chromium I just ./youtube-dl -tf it down and then open with Totem/VLC and just enjoy
    VP9 sounds cool. So what version of Chrome/Chromium? Must be dev version, right? Now I use 27.x.(which I got from Alex Shkop's ppa)
    Last edited by powdigsig; 06-17-2013, 09:52 AM. Reason: Hard to find PPA's that have fairly recent versions of chromium-browser

    Comment


    • #3
      Good, but we can always hope that codec will be popular... and I doubt it will.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by powdigsig View Post
        I use WebM, VP8 (the previous version) and if youtube won't play the video for me in WebM in Chromium I just ./youtube-dl -tf it down and then open with Totem/VLC and just enjoy
        I absolutely hate DRM platforms and that's why I'm doing exactly the same thing. This extension even makes it extremely convenient

        Comment


        • #5
          i disable vp8 (and any later version) in my browser, because youtube serve only webm if the browser can decode this. On an slow cpu i want to use the gpu decoder, but thats impossible wit vpX.

          Comment


          • #6
            I am curious, has any hardware manufacturer announced to support VP9 using hardware video decoding?
            Otherwise, although interesting, the use of VP9 in practice will surely be as limited as VP8 was.

            Comment


            • #7
              After the whole VP8 vs h264 debate last time, has anyone answered the question "Is VP9 better than h264?"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
                After the whole VP8 vs h264 debate last time, has anyone answered the question "Is VP9 better than h264?"
                I'll bet on "No, you are blatantly wrong for saying VP9 is superior to H.264.".

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                  I'll bet on "No, you are blatantly wrong for saying VP9 is superior to H.264.".
                  Who cares as long as it is good enough.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
                    Who cares as long as it is good enough.
                    yeah but is it ? is it at least close the h264? (quality, size, compression speed, decompression speed) =p

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X