Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Features Coming To LibreOffice 4.1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Features Coming To LibreOffice 4.1

    Phoronix: Features Coming To LibreOffice 4.1

    For those curious about the features coming to the LibreOffice 4.1 open-source office suite, here's a list...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM4Mzg

  • #2
    - Fonts can now be embedded within Writer documents and the other LibreOffice components.
    Very useful, will help with portability of documents quite a bit.

    Maybe having fonts embedded for most fonts, except a few of the most common, as default would be a good idea?

    Comment


    • #3
      The sidebar should be a nice addition.

      now if we get new icons it should be as good as a nice UI as it can get imo.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by plonoma View Post
        Very useful, will help with portability of documents quite a bit.
        Only if other Programs can use them too. but i doubt that this will happen. Its nice if you only use LO but if you want to share the Documents with the World its still sux.

        Comment


        • #5
          @Nille
          At least LO supports it.
          One done, more to go, gotta start somewhere.

          LO and AO(AOOO) share a lot of development, could mean that this feature will also be added in AO in the foreseeable future.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by plonoma View Post
            LO and AO(AOOO) share a lot of development, could mean that this feature will also be added in AO in the foreseeable future.
            No. LibreOffice has the explicit policy to release own developments (even if these are only modifications to files imported from OO) under licenses that are incompatible with Apache policies.

            Comment


            • #7
              - Fonts can now be embedded within Writer documents and the other LibreOffice components.
              Fuck, yes!!! WYSIWYG AT LAST!


              Originally posted by Nille View Post
              Only if other Programs can use them too. but i doubt that this will happen. Its nice if you only use LO but if you want to share the Documents with the World its still sux.
              Wrong! For RO sharing - PDF. For RW sharing - ODT.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                No. LibreOffice has the explicit policy to release own developments (even if these are only modifications to files imported from OO) under licenses that are incompatible with Apache policies.
                Technically all changes are now released under the MPLv2 which explicitly states that as long as you also publish the original code under the same license, you can modify it and use a different license provided that constitutes a 'greater work', so technically AOO could use code released under the MPL as long as it was compatible with their own program, and that's an entirely different issue altogether.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                  Technically all changes are now released under the MPLv2 which explicitly states that as long as you also publish the original code under the same license, you can modify it and use a different license provided that constitutes a 'greater work', so technically AOO could use code released under the MPL as long as it was compatible with their own program, and that's an entirely different issue altogether.
                  As I said: They deliberately chose a license against the principles of Apache to ensure code transfer is a one-way street.
                  It's exactly the same tactic Apple used in the past: Taking code from the BSDs and release modifications only under Apple Public Source License.
                  It's legal in case of the Apache License but it's also pathetic (just as pathetic as adopting the sidebar the LO developers just a few weeks ago claimed was not available under a free license and IBM donated nothing and everything was just a marketing bluff, yaddayaddayadda).

                  No bigger FOSS project I know licenses modifications to existing code under a different license than the original file's license.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Nille View Post
                    Only if other Programs can use them too. but i doubt that this will happen. Its nice if you only use LO but if you want to share the Documents with the World its still sux.
                    What are you tokin' about? This is very useful even if you only use the same editor. Try add some crazy font in a word document, and then open that document in a different machine which doesn't have that font already installed... see how nice it looks...

                    Originally posted by plonoma

                    @Nille
                    At least LO supports it.
                    One done, more to go, gotta start somewhere.

                    LO and AO(AOOO) share a lot of development, could mean that this feature will also be added in AO in the foreseeable future.
                    What's AO anyway??

                    =====

                    One thing they should keep focuss on is speed I think. Even MS Office running on Wine starts faster that LO native... now that's one big LOL

                    That and the side panel, with a search funcion so you don't have to try to guess where the hell is an option that do what you want to do... or if is there any. That would be awesome.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by brosis View Post
                      Wrong! For RO sharing - PDF. For RW sharing - ODT.
                      And embedded Fonts are now Specified in ODF? I don't think so.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                        As I said: They deliberately chose a license against the principles of Apache to ensure code transfer is a one-way street.
                        It's exactly the same tactic Apple used in the past: Taking code from the BSDs and release modifications only under Apple Public Source License.
                        It's legal in case of the Apache License but it's also pathetic (just as pathetic as adopting the sidebar the LO developers just a few weeks ago claimed was not available under a free license and IBM donated nothing and everything was just a marketing bluff, yaddayaddayadda).
                        The whole point of Apache/BSD/MIT licence is to allow others to take the code and release it under a different licence. IBM pushed for Oracle to release OOo as Apache (presumably so that they can release closed source derivatives). If you want to be sure that derivatives stay licence compatible, then there are several licences that achieve that.

                        If you leave your bicycle unlocked on the street with a note that says 'feel free to take me', then you can't be surprised or cross when someone does.

                        Also LO was forked in 2010, when OOo was only available under GPL (or sun licence). How were the LO developers supposed to switch it to a permissive licence when they did not own the copyright. Later in 2011 AOO was released under the Apache licence. So you could just as easily say "The AOO developers deliberately chose a licence so that they could not use LO code"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                          As I said: They deliberately chose a license against the principles of Apache to ensure code transfer is a one-way street.
                          Pure lie period.
                          LibreOffice was formed in September (?) 2010, when a large group of OpenOffice developers decided to redraw from **Oracle's** (!!!) OpenOffice.org due to Sun's (and Oracle's) *restrictive* copyright assignment and due to Sun/Oracle more-or-less ignoring the so called Community Council (that was supposed to manage OpenOffice.org, at least as far as I know).
                          **Apache** OpenOffice was formed in, wait for it, December 2011, when Oracle decided its time to dump OpenOffice.org.

                          Now, please feel free to explain how LibreOffice chose "deliberately chose a license that goes against the principles of [OpenOffice.org *] Apache", when Apache OpenOffice.org was formed more than a year (!) after LibreOffice was formed?

                          ... But hey, don't let the fact confuse you.

                          - Gilboa
                          DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB + 2x3TB, GTX780, F21/x86_64, Dell U2711.
                          SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F21/x86_64, Dell U2412..
                          BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F21/x86-64.
                          LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F21/x86_64.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                            ... But hey, don't let the fact confuse you.
                            +1

                            To original poster: "Advocating" Apache OpenOffice.org by attacking LibreOffice. Seems to happen on various sites (noticed also on LWN.net). Try maybe promoting your own product? Suggest stopping the bullshit about LibreOffice. Totally incorrect and makes you look like an idiot.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Nille View Post
                              And embedded Fonts are now Specified in ODF? I don't think so.
                              I do think so, otherwise how are you going to implement that?
                              The point is to be able to use exotic fonts and be sure that the documents on other machine are finally displaying properly, without having to ship individual fonts along and ask the receiver to mess with the font installation.
                              Probability that this feature is required or there is butthurt due to its absence is 100%, once there is need for documents to leave the machine they were created on.
                              Imagine creating a ODT document on your Linux machine (Liberation fonts) and then submitting it to windows machine (has no Liberation, only msfonts), *both* using LibreOffice. The formatting is guaranteed to break! The document is guaranteed to look ugly!

                              The only roadblock for this feature is font licenses, but a LOT of people cried out loud - let this be the document owner headache. Similar to that owner should decide with music he can share instead of cutting file copy operation for music files from PC. Looks like finally the cries have been heard!
                              Last edited by brosis; 06-05-2013, 08:12 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X