Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SDL 2.0 Finally In Release Candidate Stage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SDL 2.0 Finally In Release Candidate Stage

    Phoronix: SDL 2.0 Finally In Release Candidate Stage

    For those who missed it, the widely-used SDL library among commercial and open-source games is finally up to its version 2.0 release candidate. SDL2 has long been in development and as of last week the release is quite near...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM4MzU

  • #2
    Hehe

    Wow, I thought it was going to be another Duke Nukem

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by wargames View Post
      Wow, I thought it was going to be another Duke Nukem
      Actually, it was fully usable in beta (examples: Tesseract, Source engine games).

      However, Duke Nukem Forever was never usable.

      Comment


      • #4
        It was pretty stable for a while now. This really is about freezing the API and being ABI compatible between updates, meaning that Linux distros can now provide a package for it and be relatively sure that all programs can be linked against it and keep working in the future.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          It was pretty stable for a while now. This really is about freezing the API and being ABI compatible between updates, meaning that Linux distros can now provide a package for it and be relatively sure that all programs can be linked against it and keep working in the future.
          Well, that has been the weird part with SDL2. Everyone has been using it for some time already, and the stupid idiots who wanted to be distro compatible (no static libs) had to implement workarounds or stick with SDL1.

          Comment


          • #6
            Wayland ....

            What about Wayland support? When it's supposed to be included to SDL?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by _r00t- View Post
              What about Wayland support? When it's supposed to be included to SDL?
              There are already some repos like this: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~bnf/sdl-wayland/ this: https://github.com/dhewg/libsdl/tree/wl or this: https://github.com/anupamkaul/sdl-wayland available.

              //EDIT:
              Last edited by V10lator; 06-05-2013, 03:21 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Hmm. Well, that probably means that I'll have to migrate my game from SDL 1 to SDL 2 now.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I will undust my Logitech wheel once Speed Dreams migrates to this new version and supports the feedback properly.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X