Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nepomuk To See Speed Improvements In KDE 4.11

Phoronix: Nepomuk To See Speed Improvements In KDE 4.11

Nepomuk, the social semantic desktop search component used by KDE as well as GNOME through Zeitgeist, is a whole lot faster in conjunction with KDE 4.11...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM4MTA

Wait, what? I didn't know that Zeitgiest is a refactored Nepomuk. So, Gnome uses kde technology?

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      Wait, what? I didn't know that Zeitgiest is a refactored Nepomuk. So, Gnome uses kde technology?
      Its based on the same logig, but it would be nice if it were both the same software.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        It's not they just go hand in hand.Simmilar goals different way of doing it.Zeitgeist is like asking "where" and "when" and Nepomunk "how" and "what".
        Last edited by kUrb1a; 05-29-2013, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Obvious question - it may now be even faster, but has anyone actually found a purpose for it yet?

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
            Obvious question - it may now be even faster, but has anyone actually found a purpose for it yet?
            It's acctualy very usefull but like many things in KDE everything is covered under the loads of options. (not a bad thing dough) Best way to use it is in restrictive enviroments where file management is not so usefull thing to have. (tablets,smarthphones) Check Plasma Active for example.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZhevJRkuxs

Comment

BTW: Its Zeistgeist (which means Ghost of Time).
              For spelling see: http://vrserver3.linguatec.net/Serve...011&guilang=de
              Last edited by Thaodan; 05-29-2013, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
                BTW: Its Zeistgeist (which means Ghost of Time).
                For spelling see: http://vrserver3.linguatec.net/Serve...011&guilang=de
                Actually, it is Zeitgeist, not Zeistgeist.

Comment

Oh sorry this was a misspelling from me and this as German

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
                    I use it in conjunction with Krunner for quick searching of files. I honestly kind of wish you could run it as root so that it could replace mlocate as the over all "Filesystem Indexer" OR could at least hook in to mlocate's database so that you could search beyond your home director from one prompt.

Sorting by date is convenient if you cant find a file but know when about you last touched it. If you don't have a lot of files, then no its not much use because you know where everything is, its probably not 10 or 15 folders deep if you DO know where it is, and you dont have that much stuff to look through if you cant find something. But for me, someone who has multiple computer's worth of folders syncing in and out, its a nice way to keep track of everything.

Comment

This is one of a handful of things I disable just after a KDE install; along with kwallet, activities, active screen edge actions, bluetooth support and desktop effects. I rarely do file searches, as I generally keep things fairly well organized, so it just seems like a waste of resources to me. KDE is a bit of a bloated whale, but with a bit of configuration it ends up being one of the more pleasant DEs at the moment so I put up with it.

I'm a bit tempted to have another go at Enlightenment; I didn't much care for it last time I tried it, but it has been a few years now and it would be worth finding another desktop to fall back to just in case KDE screws up with the move to 5 as bad as they did with 4. It wasn't until about 4.7 or 4.9 that I was able to feel comfortable with using KDE on a regular basis. I went with XFCE for a while there after Gnome fell into the abyss with their version 3 overhaul, but XFCE always felt like it was missing things. It just wasn't customizable enough, but otherwise it was an ok DE.
                      Last edited by IanS; 05-29-2013, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IanS View Post
                        This is one of a handful of things I disable just after a KDE install; along with kwallet, activities, active screen edge actions, bluetooth support and desktop effects. I rarely do file searches, as I generally keep things fairly well organized, so it just seems like a waste of resources to me. KDE is a bit of a bloated whale, but with a bit of configuration it ends up being one of the more pleasant DEs at the moment so I put up with it.
                        I used to disable Nepomuk, but since KDE SC 4.10, it's really not that bad any more, so I no longer do that. Otherwise, I only disable screen edges (no idea why you'd want your screen to explode whenever your mouse accidentally hits the top right of the screen...) and bluetooth. Couldn't live without KWallet for a few years now I have been using unique generated passwords for all the websites I register on and such, so that the password is always secure and even if one is discovered, nobody could use it on other websites.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                          I used to disable Nepomuk, but since KDE SC 4.10, it's really not that bad any more, so I no longer do that. Otherwise, I only disable screen edges (no idea why you'd want your screen to explode whenever your mouse accidentally hits the top right of the screen...) and bluetooth. Couldn't live without KWallet for a few years now I have been using unique generated passwords for all the websites I register on and such, so that the password is always secure and even if one is discovered, nobody could use it on other websites.

What do you use to generate them / remember them?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                            I use ascreen edge to replace the show desktop widget (the right on the top of my screen).

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                              What do you use to generate them / remember them?
                              Not the same guy, but I use passwordmaker (.org). There appear to be several different tools, with varying levels of plugin support in Firefox, Opera, Chrome, etc. If it works, you just hit Alt+` or so to fill the password field. One tip though: once you've generated 100+ passwords you won't want to change your settings/master password (if you regenerate instead of looking up).

Comment

Working...
                              X