Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colord 1.0 Released To Manage Open-Source Colors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Colord 1.0 Released To Manage Open-Source Colors

    Phoronix: Colord 1.0 Released To Manage Open-Source Colors

    Colord 1.0.0 has been released as the system service/daemon that makes it easy and straight forward for managing/installing/creating color profiles for managing colors on Linux input and output devices...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM3MDk

  • #2
    So.... explain this like I'm 8, what does this mean to a user?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      So.... explain this like I'm 8, what does this mean to a user?
      Graphic professionals such as artists who work in industry where things needs to look the same on screen as on print use color calibrated displays using ICC profiles.

      With colord you can load ICC profiles so that your monitor is color calibrated so that the colors are accurately displayed so that they look the same on the display as they will appear in the print when they print it on magazines.

      Comment


      • #4
        Deep color

        Does Linux, DRM, DRI, X.org, Wayland support deep color?
        Colors more than 8 bits per channel?
        Like 10-bit colors or 12-bit colors.
        Like monitors panels and graphics card with 30-bit, 36-bit, 48-bit bpp.

        Does it support scRGB and xvYCC?

        Comment


        • #5
          This will probably be merged in systemd.

          Seriously, why daemon is needed for this?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Graphic professionals such as artists who work in industry where things needs to look the same on screen as on print use color calibrated displays using ICC profiles.

            With colord you can load ICC profiles so that your monitor is color calibrated so that the colors are accurately displayed so that they look the same on the display as they will appear in the print when they print it on magazines.
            By the sound of it, it seems very useful for any graphic designer. Is this a standard feature in linux competitors (ie Win and OSX)?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
              By the sound of it, it seems very useful for any graphic designer. Is this a standard feature in linux competitors (ie Win and OSX)?
              Yes but not availably widely in Linux or integrated with the popular desktop environments till colord was created. Richard Hughes (Red Hat) is the author and maintainer of it.

              @lightbit, it is activated on demand by D-Bus. It needs to be a deamon to satisfy some of the use cases listed in the colord site.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                By the sound of it, it seems very useful for any graphic designer. Is this a standard feature in linux competitors (ie Win and OSX)?
                Yes. This is why monitors come with a "driver" CD most of the time. It's to install the correct ICC profile for that monitor in Windows. Or if you don't install that, it's why Windows Update installs a monitor "driver" after you connect a new monitor. You get a monitor inf file, which provides possible overrides for broken EDIDs (it's cheaper to override in an INF file that fix the EDID in the monitor) and an ICC profile.
                Last edited by RealNC; 05-13-2013, 06:24 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  A link to http://www.hughski.com/index.html would have been useful, so here it is anyway.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Linux graphics applications (GIMP, Krita) already have colour management, but it would be nice to get it for the whole desktop.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X