No announcement yet.

Colord 1.0 Released To Manage Open-Source Colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good point to note is that the EDID specification is pretty much crap.
    Normally needing a driver CD with an inf file would be unnecessary if you could just have a configuration file specified and a way to get it through the display connector.
    Many manufacturers make errors in their EDID implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
      A good point to note is that the EDID specification is pretty much crap.
      Normally needing a driver CD with an inf file would be unnecessary if you could just have a configuration file specified and a way to get it through the display connector.
      Many manufacturers make errors in their EDID implementation.
      Any manufacturer with a reputation of crappy EDID implementation?
      Any manufacturer with a reputation of good EDID implementation?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Any manufacturer with a reputation of crappy EDID implementation?
        Any manufacturer with a reputation of good EDID implementation?
        The implementation is *always* good. The problem is the reported data (for example my monitor's EDID does not report a 50Hz mode, even though it supports it.) And it varies by monitor model, not by manufacturer.

Comment

Not just professionals, people with cheap panels benefit from color calibration.

Graphic professionals such as artists who work in industry where things needs to look the same on screen as on print use color calibrated displays using ICC profiles.

With colord you can load ICC profiles so that your monitor is color calibrated so that the colors are accurately displayed so that they look the same on the display as they will appear in the print when they print it on magazines.
          There is another use: Cheap/badly colored panels. I have such panel, a Samsung T220, which might come with any of 4 different panels each exhibiting different color gamuts, but this is impossible to find out for the end user before purchase. The worst of them is made in china and its the one i have. Apparently there is a much better one made in Korea, etc. You can find out by reaching a hidden menu, but some models won't even expose that, and people can only find out which panel they got by opening the thing.

It looks horrible without calibration, but after calibration with a Huey instrument and dispcalgui/argyllcms its acceptable. Problem is, a few programs like to reset the colors for some reason (usually when quitting), so i always keep dispcalgui open and reload the profile from time to time when such thing occurs (this panel looks plain ugly without the color correction profile i made).

So I?m not a professional, don't work in the industry or even design web pages and yet can't stand this panel without color calibration to watch the occasional movie, play game or watch pics. I just want to see things closer to the colors intended, or at least like a good CRT. And no, calibration by eye doesn't do squat, thank goodness i got that Huey, even if i have to stick the thing with tape when i need to re-calibrate (hardly ever )

Comment

Does Linux, DRM, DRI, X.org, Wayland support deep color?
            Colors more than 8 bits per channel?
            Like 10-bit colors or 12-bit colors.
            Like monitors panels and graphics card with 30-bit, 36-bit, 48-bit bpp.

Does it support scRGB and xvYCC?
            IIRC 10 Bit color is also a requirement of the 4K/QFHD video standard. IIRC it also has an option for 12 bit color.

Comment

@uid313
              @RealNC

The EDID specification is also crap.
              One example: the resolution and refresh frequency is known through a code which requires a table to know what the code stands for.
              There aren't much resolutions and refresh frequencies possible.
              This violates the separation of concerns and dry principle of software engineering. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_concerns http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_repeat_yourself )

E-EDID:
              Localization for an internal API that should not be visible to the consumer? You gotta be kidding me.

Also the gamma value.
              Just make it so the display suppose to have gamma = 1 or something.
              You can include electronics in the display that do the transformation if the panel, light source has different characteristics.
              Last edited by plonoma; 16 May 2013, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                E-EDID:
                Localization for an internal API that should not be visible to the consumer? You gotta be kidding me.
                Yeah, that sounds stupid.

Oh, there is something DisplayID to replace E-EDID.

Comment

Working...
                X