OpenShot Switches From GTK+ To Qt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
    I guess your being sarcastic if not i can't understand your conclusion.
    GTK doesn't look good in anything except an GTK based DE, but personally i think it always looks bad but thats my taste.
    Qt looks good everywhere, but some improvements can always be done.
    I think Qt looks better in gnome then GTK does in KDE SC.
    GTK looks just fine in KDE when using Oxygen:

(From top to bottom: Gtk2, Gtk3, native KDE.)

Qt5 looks ugly, non-native and totally out of place. This is Qt4 (left) vs Qt5 (right):

KDE5 isn't coming out for a while, so Qt5 on KDE is currently a disaster. If you're currently using Qt for an app, you better make sure it builds fine in Qt4 too, not just Qt5, if you care about supporting KDE.
    Last edited by RealNC; 28 April 2013, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      KDE5 isn't coming out for a while, so Qt5 on KDE is currently a disaster. If you're currently using Qt for an app, you better make sure it builds fine in Qt4 too, not just Qt5, if you care about supporting KDE.
      In the short term. It will stop being an issue after a while. The fact that it's just using a different theme for now is not the end of the world...

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
        Cinnamon includes the file manager, now. They forked Nautilus into "Nemo", which I use under Mate (albeit without desktop management). That uses GTK3.
        It's also the file manager I like best so far (I liked the Windows 98/XP file manager and PCManFM too)

The author also mentions explicitly it should not be flamewar material.
        Boo!
        Leave that little piece of slim and efficient code alone. That little file manager can be used under Fluxbox or really anything too, and is like the only thing people run on a raspberry or when running an X11 server on some fat cell phone. A Qt port is just one more option and the author specifically wrote GTK and Qt are coexisting.

Lastly, you need GTK2 anyway to run all the stuff (firefox, gparted, filezilla, small programs and tools, the gtk graphics programs etc.) so there's no biggie if LXDE stays in GTK2 for a while. This is the desktop you can realistically run on a computer with 128MB physical RAM, afterall.

We're not in a hurry for GTK2 to get dumped overnight from all distros so that a shitload of software becomes incompatible, do we? I for one don't give a shit. Let's wait a decade before dumping it.
        Well said.

Comment

I can hardly tell that VLC isn't running GTK, the only stuff that's only apparent is the About.. dialog with its weird tabs, and the small icons next to menu items (esp. Help and About). The File..Open dialog it gives me is a GTK one (Virtualbox does this too), apparently a GTK2 one

GTK2 Open file.. is superior to GTK3 Open file.., because that latter one throws you into the "Recently used" folder everytime, instead of the folder you used last time. This is the single biggest toolkit issue I have (and proof that GTK3 is shit, unless it's the Nemo file manager using it). That and micropolis (the free open source version of 1989 Sim City) uses piece Motif or some raw X11 clone of it (ew..) and makes me navigate manually from /usr/share/games/micropolis/cities to my home folder everytime.

Comment

Cinnamon includes the file manager, now. They forked Nautilus into "Nemo", which I use under Mate (albeit without desktop management). That uses GTK3.
            It's also the file manager I like best so far (I liked the Windows 98/XP file manager and PCManFM too)
            Was Nautilus forked too? Gosh. Is Cinnamon a real upstream fork? i meant, did they forked gtk3 too? What a disaster.

I recommend you to use dolphin, a filemanager that makes your life a lot easier . Last time a i checked nautilus i found it useless, it send me to the command line all the time.

The author also mentions explicitly it should not be flamewar material.
            Boo!
            Leave that little piece of slim and efficient code alone. That little file manager can be used under Fluxbox or really anything too, and is like the only thing people run on a raspberry or when running an X11 server on some fat cell phone. A Qt port is just one more option and the author specifically wrote GTK and Qt are coexisting.
            Well, i recommend you to use the Qt version since the gtk version is or is about to be deprecated as a legacy, vintage, obsolete and nostalgic version. Ask yourself why you need two version or why the developer did it in the first place.

Lastly, you need GTK2 anyway to run all the stuff (firefox, gparted, filezilla, small programs and tools, the gtk graphics programs etc.) so there's no biggie if LXDE stays in GTK2 for a while. This is the desktop you can realistically run on a computer with 128MB physical RAM, afterall.

We're not in a hurry for GTK2 to get dumped overnight from all distros so that a shitload of software becomes incompatible, do we? I for one don't give a shit. Let's wait a decade before dumping it.
            Nobody is calling for dumping all your gtk apps now, that would absurd. Sadly a lot of developers made the mistake of using gtk as a toolkit for their apps, the damage is done. But i wish developers to stop using gnome and gtk3 already, there's no good reason for using those libraries.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              In the short term. It will stop being an issue after a while. The fact that it's just using a different theme for now is not the end of the world...
              It's rather mid-term, not short-term. It's not like KDE5 is coming out in 3 months. It's gonna be years, probably.

Also, a disaster doesn't need to be the end of the world in order to qualify as a disaster. "A nuclear bomb went off in the center of New York. Don't worry, it's not the end of the world."

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                No, you STFU. People who treat their opinions as gospel should be gathered on some kind of island where they can have their own circle-jerk.
                This entire story is about a GTK application that switches to Qt, yet YOU are the one in denial who's preaching all the time how great GTK is.
                If your religious feelings were hurt by OpenShot's decision, bad for you, but don't come here and tell everyone how amazingly great GTK is and then complain that others disprove you.

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                Gtk works just fine [?] I don't see this "technological inferiority" in practice anywhere.
                ?A few big contributing factors to choosing Qt was the performance of embedding HTML and JavaScript (for our timeline and curve editing widgets), native-looking widget rendering (on Mac, Windows, and Linux), improved tools for designing interfaces, and the easy ability to use OpenGL to display our video preview widget.? (Quote from the original announcement)

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
                  Nobody is calling for dumping all your gtk apps now, that would absurd. Sadly a lot of developers made the mistake of using gtk as a toolkit for their apps, the damage is done. But i wish developers to stop using gnome and gtk3 already, there's no good reason for using those libraries.
                  Except of course that a lot of us actually really like GNOME, and Gtk applications. And Gtk is pretty nice to work with. Especially given that there is language bindings for pretty much everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
                    Was Nautilus forked too? Gosh. Is Cinnamon a real upstream fork? i meant, did they forked gtk3 too? What a disaster.

I recommend you to use dolphin, a filemanager that makes your life a lot easier . Last time a i checked nautilus i found it useless, it send me to the command line all the time.
                    but my OS wants to install 67 packages, taking 163MB additional disk space after installation if I want to install this dolphin file manager.

Nemo is merely a fork that adds buttons and features to Nautilus (which has become really bland). Configured toolbars buttons (simple stuff like back, forward, UP which is absent on Nautilus, refresh, home etc. Yes/No), buttons to choose between icons/list/detailed list with one clicked, stuff removed in nautilus 3.6 added back; turn crumbs bar to location bar with one click, status bar..
                    I even gained a few unexpected features. In the status bar there's now a zoom slider (never seen that before, lulz) and even a little button to toggle the left sidebar (which I leave disabled for now. I can use the bookmarks menu).

So, my file manager maybe doesn't display .pdf, read mail or mount ssh shares but I'm ok with it. I'm a happy camper.
                    I agree though that GTK3 doesn't seem to have a bright or certain future (forking GTK3 itself is kind of a looming threat but we're not there I think)

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                      smart move

EVERYONE should switch to QT

btw out of those 45k I bet 99% came from linux users

why the fuck would os x or win users need ANOTHER editor?

why not focus development in linux ??? that's fucked up

get 45k from linux users, give mac and win users another editor for free

As Qt is also available for Windows, switching to Qt also has the benefits of making it easy to port Qt based apps to the platforms that Qt supports so we could well see apps like OpenShot on Windows too for those who are stuck with Windows. And yes mobile devices can benefit too from the Qt toolkit as well.

Good times indeed!

Comment

Working...
                      X