OpenShot Switches From GTK+ To Qt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    It means that the devs realized how bad GTK currently is and try to fix that by ripping huge parts of GTK out and replace them with Clutter, hoping that will help GTK.
    That, however, does not change anything about the bad situation GTK is in right now.
    That's your spin. You could just as well say "The devs realize that using clutter more could make Gtk even better", which is how I have perceived the situation.
    I am still not certain that Gtk is in a bad situation. There are lots of great Gtk applications, and I haven't really noticed any decline in the last years.

Comment

• Originally posted by kigurai View Post
      I haven't really noticed any decline in the last years.
      Then I suggest you read the articles you comment onů

Comment

• Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        Then I suggest you read the articles you comment onů
        I do. It says that one application switched from Gtk to Qt and cited what I assume is valid reasons.
        It's a single sample point, and you can extrapolate anything from it if you really try.
        In itself it means nothing.
        Weighted together with the fact that there are still lots of great applications that use Gtk and new applications being written, I'd say it's a bit early to shout failure or death.
        It is true that Qt seems to gain more traction than Gtk right now, and I think that is good since there are lots of cross-platform applications being written.
        But I fail to see how the success of one toolkit somehow imply that all the others are failing. Because in that case Qt is obviously failing as well considering the large amount of iOS applications being written :P

Comment

• Originally posted by kigurai View Post
          I do. It says that one application switched from Gtk to Qt and cited what I assume is valid reasons.
          It's a single sample point, and you can extrapolate anything from it if you really try.
          In itself it means nothing.
          Weighted together with the fact that there are still lots of great applications that use Gtk and new applications being written, I'd say it's a bit early to shout failure or death.
          It is true that Qt seems to gain more traction than Gtk right now, and I think that is good since there are lots of cross-platform applications being written.
          But I fail to see how the success of one toolkit somehow imply that all the others are failing. Because in that case Qt is obviously failing as well considering the large amount of iOS applications being written :P

To be fair on the last point... as of 5.1 you can write iOS apps in Qt. So we can actually get to see how many prospective Devs go and grab QtCreator instead of XCode after Qt5.1

Comment

• Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            To be fair on the last point... as of 5.1 you can write iOS apps in Qt. So we can actually get to see how many prospective Devs go and grab QtCreator instead of XCode after Qt5.1
            Oh, that's cool
            So I picked a bad example, but I think my point still stands.

I think it is great that Qt has so good cross-platform support, because it means a lot of nice applications become available for Linux. That's a good thing.

Comment

• Nice to see some voice of reason in this thread instead of all the fanatical Qt-fanboys declaring the death of Gtk...

Comment

Working...
              X