Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opera Will Switch To Blink Engine Too

Phoronix: Opera Will Switch To Blink Engine Too

After it was reported this morning that Mozilla is developing a new web-browser engine (Servo) and then Google is forking WebKit (Blink), Opera has confirmed they too will be using Google's Blink engine fork of WebKit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

wonder if the new ubuntu touch browser will also use blink instead of webkit

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
      wonder if the new ubuntu touch browser will also use blink instead of webkit
      Neither, it will use a fork of Webkit2 named "Entity"
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Opera Will Switch To Blink Engine Too

After it was reported this morning that Mozilla is developing a new web-browser engine (Servo) and then Google is forking WebKit (Blink), Opera has confirmed they too will be using Google's Blink engine fork of WebKit...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM0MjU

Is this a sign that the browser wars are heating up? And what will happen to Gecko and Pesto?

Comment

Originally posted by Bomyne View Post
          Is this a sign that the browser wars are heating up? And what will happen to Gecko and Pesto?
          Seriously? Presto has been abandoned by Opera, they're switching to using Chromium as their 'upstream.' Gecko is slatted to be replaced by Servo if its good enough, in the mean time its being gradually improved incase the switch to Servo doesn't pan out.

Comment

I personally would of liked Opera to either continue with their own engine or move to Mozilla's geko.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              Neither, it will use a fork of Webkit2 named "Entity"
              Haha, I laughed! ....Unless you're serious?

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                Haha, I laughed! ....Unless you're serious?
                I wasn't :P just wanted to see what someone would say lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  Gecko is slatted to be replaced by Servo if its good enough, in the mean time its being gradually improved incase the switch to Servo doesn't pan out.
                  No it's not. Servo is an experiment, designed to see what they can do. If it works out, some of the ideas will likely be worked into Gecko. I don't think anyone is actually planning to use it to replace Gecko, no matter how successful it is.

Comment

Working...
                  X