Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Forks WebKit As Blink Rendering Engine

Phoronix: Google Forks WebKit As Blink Rendering Engine

Just earlier today was word that Mozilla is developing Servo, a new web-browser engine, and now comes a similar action out of Google. The search giant announced this afternoon they are forking the WebKit code-base for their Chrome/Chromium web-browser to form the "Blink" engine...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM0MjM

Cool!

This definitely is interesting news!
    I look forward to a rendering-engine with less legacy-bloat of the old days having been mainly with Apple and Safari. There is no need to refer to how big of a step it was to remove the old Apple-style-span.

In this regard, getting rid of 4.8 million lines of more or less relevant code (I guess rather the latter, being architecture-specific) will have its merits.
    Last edited by frign; 04-03-2013, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Opera will be contributing to Blink as well (source).

Comment

What the fsck did they cut!? 4.5Million lines of Code? Jesus H Christ o.o

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          What the fsck did they cut!? 4.5Million lines of Code? Jesus H Christ o.o
          It is not actually 4.5 million lines of code or 7000 files of code, WebKit is nowhere near that big. They are counting the deleted test-results for other ports. The layout-test and tests-result make up around 95% or all data in the webkit repository.

Comment

So it's a fork of a fork. I wonder if Apple is going to complain about how bad forks are.
            Last edited by TheBlackCat; 04-03-2013, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
              There is no need to refer to how big of a step it was to remove the old Apple-style-span.
              Glad it is dead, this made me ban Safari as a web browser in an all Mac environment because of how badly it behaved with WYSIWYG. Back then Safari also had a tendency to crash when undoing or just randomly.

Comment

prefix?

So now we need to use a -blink- prefix and the -webkit- prefix with all CSS3 "statements"? Or what will happen?

Comment

no prefixes

They aren't going to have a prefix. If something's not ready then they're going to hide it behind an "enable experimental features" button, but it will always use the non-prefixed form.

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
                    They aren't going to have a prefix. If something's not ready then they're going to hide it behind an "enable experimental features" button, but it will always use the non-prefixed form.
                    Sounds good . Thanks

Comment

My first thought:

Donít blink.
                      Blink and youíre dead.
                      Donít turn your back.
                      Donít look away.
                      And donít blink.

Comment

Fingerprint

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                        Glad it is dead, this made me ban Safari as a web browser in an all Mac environment because of how badly it behaved with WYSIWYG. Back then Safari also had a tendency to crash when undoing or just randomly.
                        Even worse, when you copied formatted strings to external programs.
                        - It was like a fingerprint.

Comment

My first thought is that hopefully they can get rid of the absolutely TERRIBLE performance problems, but then I realized that other khtml browsers are actually fast, so its not the rendering engine at fault.

In other words... who the hell cares? Chrome is going to remain a complete turd.

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
                            While this does actually mean that we can't stay compatible with older versions of the browser, i do agree that it's an overall better solution.

Comment

Was about f'ing time. Many Chromium bug reports were closed as upstream WebKit problems, with Google unable to do anything about them. It was getting ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                              X