Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mozilla & Samsung Develop "Servo" Browser Engine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    This announcement said a few things to me....
    I think you're probably reading too much into it though. This isn't about Firefox moving from Gecko to Servo - it's an experimental engine, designed to establish how things could be done better. It might eventually replace Gecko - but more likely, it'll result in ideas propagating back to be applied to the existing engine.

    Comment


    • #12
      note that what more or less happened is that some samsung guys dropped the code and mozilla was like "oh hey cool thanks!" and also "lets talk about this!" because talking about this - servo, rust that is - is a good thing anyway - even thus samsung probably develop stuff on their side in the dark and suddenly drop code.

      rust is a pretty damn nice language. its fast and safe. C++ kind of fast. And servo attempts to implement everything a modern browser should ideally be.

      Also, Contrarily to comment 2.. Mozilla actually.. develop and take decisions fully in the open. Heck even the security reviews are public. The security meetings.. are public. It's not about the source code being open, but their whole process is open. You can participate to decisions if you want. Not by commenting here, not by posting a single bug (although if its really insightful, people will certainly take it into account), but by actively taking part of the project (this does take time) and make your voice heard.

      I'm sure Mozilla isn't perfect (far from it) and some people there either, but its pretty damn nearer to my ideals than other companies, personally. At least they seems to really attempt to "do no evil". The corporation is governed by a foundation, everything's open and they usually fight for privacy and user control against the odds.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by balouba View Post
        note that what more or less happened is that some samsung guys dropped the code and mozilla was like "oh hey cool thanks!" and also "lets talk about this!" because talking about this - servo, rust that is - is a good thing anyway - even thus samsung probably develop stuff on their side in the dark and suddenly drop code.

        rust is a pretty damn nice language. its fast and safe. C++ kind of fast. And servo attempts to implement everything a modern browser should ideally be.

        Also, Contrarily to comment 2.. Mozilla actually.. develop and take decisions fully in the open. Heck even the security reviews are public. The security meetings.. are public. It's not about the source code being open, but their whole process is open. You can participate to decisions if you want. Not by commenting here, not by posting a single bug (although if its really insightful, people will certainly take it into account), but by actively taking part of the project (this does take time) and make your voice heard.

        I'm sure Mozilla isn't perfect (far from it) and some people there either, but its pretty damn nearer to my ideals than other companies, personally. At least they seems to really attempt to "do no evil". The corporation is governed by a foundation, everything's open and they usually fight for privacy and user control against the odds.

        Actually, Rust and Servo have been in development for about a year now. The source code is completely open, go download it. Most of the work on these two have been done by Mozilla employees.
        What Mozilla have announced today is that Samsung will help port Servo to ARM hardware only.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by mayankleoboy1 View Post
          Actually, Rust and Servo have been in development for about a year now. The source code is completely open, go download it. Most of the work on these two have been done by Mozilla employees.
          What Mozilla have announced today is that Samsung will help port Servo to ARM hardware only.
          Actually Rust has been in development since 2006 with Mozilla being fully involved since 2009. It was one of those experimental projects that have only gained press attention recently though.

          Comment


          • #15
            and they usually fight for privacy and user control against the odds.
            They allow third party cookies, do not enable "do not track" by default and use Google as default search engine. On top of that, they frequently promote Facebook, Twitter or such. Seems legit.

            Comment


            • #16
              I wonder if this is a move to get Firefox included as the default browser with Tizen?

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by BW~Merlin View Post
                I wonder if this is a move to get Firefox included as the default browser with Tizen?
                Tizen??? Whats that???



                ... yeah, I'm just poking fun.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Funny that now they are so keen switching their browser engine. I remember a discussion if they should switch to webkit and one of the core arguments against was that all addons would need to be rewritten. Well but the same applies when they switch to Servo of course....

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
                    Funny that now they are so keen switching their browser engine. I remember a discussion if they should switch to webkit and one of the core arguments against was that all addons would need to be rewritten. Well but the same applies when they switch to Servo of course....
                    Difference being that they are making Servo so they can make it compatible with existing addons.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                      They allow third party cookies, do not enable "do not track" by default and use Google as default search engine. On top of that, they frequently promote Facebook, Twitter or such. Seems legit.

                      no third party cookies break some sites. do not track by default would kill the standard. google is the best most well known search engine.

                      All of which have on/off choices available.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X