Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 5.1 Will Bring With It Several New Features

Phoronix: Qt 5.1 Will Bring With It Several New Features

The release of Qt 5.1 is coming this month. This first update to Digia's Qt5 does feature some exciting new features just months after the Qt 5.0 debut...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The question is

Looking at Qt 4, will Qt 5 bring improvement in regards to being more memory-efficient? Of course, you can always be focused on stuffing more functionality into your toolkit, but what about the case you need to do something efficiently?

I would love to know from someone who is into this topic, as I am rather the CLI guy and not that much into the GUI-stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
      Looking at Qt 4, will Qt 5 bring improvement in regards to being more memory-efficient? Of course, you can always be focused on stuffing more functionality into your toolkit, but what about the case you need to do something efficiently?

I would love to know from someone who is into this topic, as I am rather the CLI guy and not that much into the GUI-stuff.
      Yeah there's actually a good bit of performance and memory gains, there was a blog post I need to hunt down not that long before Qt 5.0 was release that detailed out that there were improvements in QObject and QString that improved performance and memory usage drastically. For now I've got this http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/24295 but I'll see if I can dig up the related blog...

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        Yeah there's actually a good bit of performance and memory gains, there was a blog post I need to hunt down not that long before Qt 5.0 was release that detailed out that there were improvements in QObject and QString that improved performance and memory usage drastically. For now I've got this http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/24295 but I'll see if I can dig up the related blog...
        Thanks for the link; I'm glad there are improvements on this side.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
          Thanks for the link; I'm glad there are improvements on this side.
          I've not seen anything that would suggest the memory improvements are drastic. That said, I don't consider Qt by itself particularly heavy weight to begin with.

Comment

Working...
          X