Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce 4.12 Desktop Release Ends Up Behind Schedule

Phoronix: Xfce 4.12 Desktop Release Ends Up Behind Schedule

While Xfce 4.12 was scheduled to be released on 10 March, the release didn't happen and it looks like the release won't be coming anytime soon...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMyNDg

I tested xubuntu 13.04 a little while back which has xfce 4.12, its in pretty good shape IMO. I love the latest version of thunar, much improved. They also finally fixed xfce4-power-manager not being able to adjust brightness automatically on 64-bit installs.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
      I tested xubuntu 13.04 a little while back which has xfce 4.12, its in pretty good shape IMO. I love the latest version of thunar, much improved. They also finally fixed xfce4-power-manager not being able to adjust brightness automatically on 64-bit installs.
      I consider thunar to be the facto file manager. It's pretty cross-platform. I even use it under enlightenment 17.

However, it seems that xfdesktop will be merged into thunar as a seperate plugin. Xfdesktop on 12.10 seems to start eating memory at random parts in time while the 12.04 version did not. But, it seems that 13.04 still uses xfdesktop and not the new thunar-desktop-plugin.

Comment

GTK3

Too bad it wasn't ported to GTK3 already.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
          I consider thunar to be the facto file manager. It's pretty cross-platform. I even use it under enlightenment 17.

Xfdesktop on 12.10 seems to start eating memory at random parts in time while the 12.04 version did not.
          There was a bug that made xfdesktop eat 100% CPU when you use solid background. It's fixed in the latest 4.10.2 release.
          Is your problem related to this https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=918646?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtKun View Post
            There was a bug that made xfdesktop eat 100% CPU when you use solid background. It's fixed in the latest 4.10.2 release.
            Is your problem related to this https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=918646?
            A contraire. I did find that bug as well. But I have rotating images. I point xfdesktop to a 'static' image location as the only image. Then I use a cron script to rotate the image and do a 'xfdesktop --reload'.

These bugs were also mentioned on Ubuntu Launchpad and the XFCE Bugzilla.

Thanks for the pointer tough.

As for uid313 for wanting GTK3. It has no benefit.

Comment

As for uid313 for wanting GTK3. It has no benefit.
              GTK3 is a requirement for Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                GTK3 is a requirement for Wayland.
                Invalidating my argument in what way?? I run XFCE now. Does not require Wayland.

Comment

Interesting, I consider PCManFM to be that.

Still, 4.10 ended up fixing almost all of my issues with 4.8, so 4.12 being delayed does not really bother me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                    Interesting, I consider PCManFM to be that.

Still, 4.10 ended up fixing almost all of my issues with 4.8, so 4.12 being delayed does not really bother me.
                    Yes, PcManFM would be more cross-platform but last time I tried it was not that stable.

Comment

Roadmaps and release schedules are good, but the best time to release software is of course "When it's ready" (Something the commercial software world needs

I don't particularly care about GTK+ 3 support (I don't have it, as I don't need it for anything) but if that's something they are striving for with the release, they are doing the right thing if they need to go back to the drawing boards on some parts of the project.

XFCE has mostly been good quality, in the 10+ years that I've been using it and I wouldn't want that to change. (Starting back when it was based on GTK+ 1.2.x and made "boingy" sounds when you clicked on stuff. It got old fast, but none the less I couldn't bring myself to disable it because it was so amusing at the start. I wasn't sorry when it went away, though.)

Any bugs that I encountered (e.g. configuration functions that didn't quite work as expected, like being prevented from dragging things where you want them on the panel) I was always able to work around somehow.

I don't always have to have the latest release of XFCE though... I tend to build one and stick with it for the life of the Linux install which could be years. Once I have it all configured my way (a specific way that I like... more like old versions) it doesn't get broken. It keeps working without a recompile even when you upgrade the libraries it's linked against. (within reason)

I had to check (couldn't remember, as this system is a few years old now) but I'm still using version 4.6.1 here.

I have a much newer version on my laptop, but I tend to use it the same way so I don't notice any difference. While I'm on that, I was actually impressed that the config mostly migrated from an older distro I had. (I tarred up my home directory and selectively copied back configs) It warned me that it had to convert the panel, but it didn't miss a beat. I just had to put the programs in place that my launchers were configured for and change a few icon paths etc. Why this is significant to me is, XFCE wasn't so good at that in the past and I always configured it from scratch with a newer version.

Comment

Originally posted by Grogan View Post
                        Roadmaps and release schedules are good, but the best time to release software is of course "When it's ready" (Something the commercial software world needs

I don't particularly care about GTK+ 3 support (I don't have it, as I don't need it for anything) but if that's something they are striving for with the release, they are doing the right thing if they need to go back to the drawing boards on some parts of the project.
                        For me, that is one of the main advantages of the XFCE environment. They don't want GTK+3 because it's new and shiny (I understand the tendency to do this). No, they will use GTK+3 if they require functionality that is only available in this version. And even then they consider, is it worth it?

Thunar has been developed over many years and it has not changed much. Most of it's bugs are related to behaviour changes in the library's it depends on. I'm looking at you gvfs...

Comment

Yes, PcManFM would be more cross-platform but last time I tried it was not that stable.
                          When was the last time you tried it by chance? LXDE and it's components have improved by leaps and bounds in terms of stability and polish over the past year or so.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                            Too bad it wasn't ported to GTK3 already.
                            GTK3 is disaster
                            http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/opinion/a...spiracy-theory

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                              When was the last time you tried it by chance? LXDE and it's components have improved by leaps and bounds in terms of stability and polish over the past year or so.
                              Two years ago . So I'm gonna try it with my new Gentoo installation. On Ubuntu, I'm sticking to Thunar for now.

It was just before the big migration to gio and gvfs if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Working...
                              X