Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu GNOME Is Now An Official Ubuntu Flavor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu GNOME Is Now An Official Ubuntu Flavor

    Phoronix: Ubuntu GNOME Is Now An Official Ubuntu Flavor

    The Ubuntu Tech Board approved last week that Ubuntu GNOME is now an official flavor/derivative of Ubuntu Linux...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMyMzg

  • #2
    Important breakthrough

    and innovation from Canonical!
    C'mon, guys! You are focusing too much on the fluff.
    Please, bring first the distribution to an almost-zarro-bugs state. And then spend your time in official color schemes, names and so on!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Uqbar View Post
      and innovation from Canonical!
      C'mon, guys! You are focusing too much on the fluff.
      Ubuntu GNOME is a community project run by volunteers. Canonical's role, now that we have their blessing, is too help us out with infrastructure such as daily ISO builds.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by darkxst View Post
        Ubuntu GNOME is a community project run by volunteers. Canonical's role, now that we have their blessing, is too help us out with infrastructure such as daily ISO builds.
        While in the past ... they were doing it in person.
        So the announcement is: Canonical is not even doing the GNOME distro any more. And they already kicked the KDE distro 1 year ago.
        This doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Maybe it's a good one. But why announcing it that "subtle" way?
        Is that a marketing move not to give a bad impression on the potential shareholders and investors?

        Comment


        • #5
          XMir?

          So im wondering.... will those official spins as LXDE, KDE, GNOME and XFCE run via XMir for 13.10? Or what's the long term plan?

          GNOME-shell and KWin have (more or less) working Wayland ports. I don't know about xfce and lxde. But there is no Mir port of any window manager - maybe except Compiz. While XFCE and LXDE and even KDE might use Compiz, it won't help Gnome-Shell at all due to it's integrated nature.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by oleid View Post
            So im wondering.... will those official spins as LXDE, KDE, GNOME and XFCE run via XMir for 13.10? Or what's the long term plan?

            GNOME-shell and KWin have (more or less) working Wayland ports. I don't know about xfce and lxde. But there is no Mir port of any window manager - maybe except Compiz. While XFCE and LXDE and even KDE might use Compiz, it won't help Gnome-Shell at all due to it's integrated nature.
            XMir is just a rootless X server running atop the Mir stack, so any DE could run within that. However for the foreseeable future Xorg is not going away. Probably the worst case scenario is that you won't be able to run Unity if you are using another DM such as gdm or kdm.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by oleid View Post
              those official spins as LXDE, KDE, GNOME and XFCE
              There's no official spin any more now. There's actually no spin at all.
              LXDE, KDE, GNOME and XFCE are all "external projects" to Ubuntu now. There's no Canonical direct involvement any more (but the infrastructure to build and distribute them, afaiu).
              Next Ubuntu Desktop will be, presumably, based on something completely (really?) different from the above desktops environments.
              I don't really see the point, my obvious fault.
              Developing a brand new WORKING display server requires huge efforts and lots of technology knowledge.
              For which pros? Having it working on tablets, TVs and smartphones (on top of an Android-like OS)?
              And what about all those GUI applications we all like? How long will it take them to do the port?
              I have one word for that: OVERKILLING.
              Especially because there's already a project, called Firefox OS, which has overlapping aims with the possible Canonical projects.
              With a twist. You need only to port a single application to a new display server: the firefox browser (or Gecko+Gaia stack).
              But, of course, I am sure I'm badly wrong and have failed to catch the main points in that product marketing move by Canonical.
              Last edited by Uqbar; 03-11-2013, 05:47 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Uqbar View Post
                [...]
                I don't really see the point, my obvious fault.
                Developing a brand new WORKING display server requires huge efforts and lots of technology knowledge.
                For which pros? Having it working on tablets, TVs and smartphones (on top of an Android-like OS)?
                And what about all those GUI applications we all like? How long will it take them to do the port?
                I have one word for that: OVERKILLING.
                [...]
                You'll get no argument from me about that.... After reading the IRC logs, I think developing Mir is the dumbest idea they ever had. Yet, I don't want to start another Mir discussion^^

                Originally posted by darkxst
                However for the foreseeable future Xorg is not going away. Probably the worst case scenario is that you won't be able to run Unity if you are using another DM such as gdm or kdm.
                If they are going to include the stand-alone Xorg in 13.10 and forth...

                I can hardly wait to see, how things are going to evolve...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by oleid View Post
                  [...]
                  GNOME-shell and KWin have (more or less) working Wayland ports. I don't know about xfce and lxde. But there is no Mir port of any window manager - maybe except Compiz. While XFCE and LXDE and even KDE might use Compiz, it won't help Gnome-Shell at all due to it's integrated nature.
                  What? When has this happened? Where can I get the more or less working Wayland ports of GNOME Shell and KWin?

                  Originally posted by Uqbar View Post
                  While in the past ... they were doing it in person.
                  [...]
                  Is that a marketing move not to give a bad impression on the potential shareholders and investors?
                  Canonical's investor is Mark Shuttleworth. Canonical doesn't need investors (I'm pretty sure Mark hasn't blown his one billion dollars yet). Hence the fact that you can't buy shares in Canonical on NASDAQ.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by runeks View Post
                    What? When has this happened? Where can I get the more or less working Wayland ports of GNOME Shell and KWin?
                    It started in 2011 in the case of gnome-shell. The port of mutter and gnome-shell was started by Intel. It was shown last year on some conferences, as covered by Phoronix. I __think__ this might be the official branch, yet I'm not sure.

                    https://git.gnome.org/browse/mutter/log/?h=wip/wayland

                    My last information is, that this port uses the older API and needs some love to be ported to wayland 1.0. In this IRC log (http://pastebin.com/KjRm3be1) , it was mentioned, the port was revived.

                    As for kwin, AFAIK the maintainer himself is doing the port. Here is a page informing you how to run it:

                    http://community.kde.org/KWin/Wayland

                    There is a kwin-wayland branch mentioned, however I can't find it on http://quickgit.kde.org/. So I assume it already went mainline?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X