Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canonical Loses Work From Top Compiz Contributor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Canonical Loses Work From Top Compiz Contributor

    Phoronix: Canonical Loses Work From Top Compiz Contributor

    Following a tough week for Canonical with controversies surrounding the Mir Display Server and uncertainties about whether Ubuntu 13.04 would be released or turned into a rolling release model, Sam Spilsbury one of the lead Compiz developers and former Canonical employees, had some harsh words for the Ubuntu backer...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMyMTc

  • #2
    I really hope Canonical fails really fast with their Mir stuff and their approach to the community.

    They take so much, they give so little.

    Comment


    • #3
      His compiz stuff is all included in the 0.9.9 development. What he means is it would have gone to waste if Ubuntu 13.04 didn't actually release, which it will.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        His compiz stuff is all included in the 0.9.9 development. What he means is it would have gone to waste if Ubuntu 13.04 didn't actually release, which it will.
        "I was basically going to throw away 4 months of hard work because Ubuntu wasnít going to take my patches because they donít want to take community patches on compiz anymore."

        It quite hard to undestand what he meant.

        "because they donít want to take community patches on compiz anymore." They aren't taking community patches anymore

        "because they woudn't take community patches on compiz anymore." They won't take patches if 13.04 isn't released

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by newwen View Post
          I really hope Canonical fails really fast with their Mir stuff and their approach to the community.

          They take so much, they give so little.
          I thought everything they take gets released for everyone to use? Correct me if I'm wrong

          Comment


          • #6
            He's on his monthly?


            Talk about whiners. If you patch Compiz then you're doing it for the Users, not Canonical, since they give away the OS for free. Just patch what you want to do and what you don't then don't. There's no pressure, other than you will miss being apart of the history of Linux and Ubuntu.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by newwen View Post
              I really hope Canonical fails really fast with their Mir stuff and their approach to the community.

              They take so much, they give so little.

              You can see you're from another Distro trying to cause trouble.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
                I thought everything they take gets released for everyone to use? Correct me if I'm wrong
                GPL doesn't have a clause that would require us to like Canonical or wish them well. It's not about licensing, it's about their treatment of the community and about them being jerks for the sake of being jerks.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                  He's on his monthly?


                  Talk about whiners. If you patch Compiz then you're doing it for the Users, not Canonical, since they give away the OS for free. Just patch what you want to do and what you don't then don't. There's no pressure, other than you will miss being apart of the history of Linux and Ubuntu.
                  Miss being apart of linux history...? Compiz was this guy's baby, and unfortunately the ONLY one using Compiz at this point is Ubuntu and Canonical. This guy maintained Compiz as the lead dev for years and he's finally said "Ive had it" with Ubuntu's bullshit. Everyone knows you're an ubuntu fanboy and an ubuntu fanatic, e8hffff-- you're as much of a troll as the AntiBSD guy and everyone before him and everyone after you.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Wow, greatest news all week!

                    So here we are in 2013, finally the year of gaming on the linux desktop, and Wow, great, we have NOBODY working on the FRIGGIN compositor, just one of the most important pieces to getting a good experience and good performance, and the one on the distro actually RECOMMENDED by valve!?! Wow, thanks a lot Canonical for handling this the right way!

                    OT: Does anyone know whatever happened to David Reverman, the original compiz and Xgl developer? I haven't seen anything about him for years, did he just fall off the face of the earth?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Good news.

                      It's fine if they want to not play with the opensource community, they just have to release the GPL changes when it's required and tell the world about it, like Apple.
                      If only debian had a ppa system and do intermediate release for desktop user : less testing, newer software is not really a problem for the average desktop user IMHO...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Canonical: The Microsoft of Linuxes

                        Canonical is quickly proving itself to be the "Microsoft" of the Linux world.

                        Every time I hear(read) a new story involving Ubuntu and where Canonical is taking it, I keep hearing these two words over and over again:

                        Vendor Lock.

                        Vendor Lock.

                        Vendor Lock.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          David Reveman - Last seen activity: Eating a cheese sandwich.
                          https://plus.google.com/117752120953291778916/posts

                          Looks like Google swallowed him up.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            compiz was dead anyway....about time to move forward.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
                              Canonical is quickly proving itself to be the "Microsoft" of the Linux world.

                              Every time I hear(read) a new story involving Ubuntu and where Canonical is taking it, I keep hearing these two words over and over again:

                              Vendor Lock.

                              Vendor Lock.

                              Vendor Lock.
                              Naw they're trying to be Android but don't have the Developers or the backing that Google has/had so we have to sit here and watch them try to transform in slow motion.... So painful.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X