Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enlightenment E18 Might Be Released This Year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Enlightenment E18 Might Be Released This Year

    Phoronix: Enlightenment E18 Might Be Released This Year

    The famed developer behind the Enlightenment window manager, "Rasterman", shared that Enlightenment E18 might be released this Christmas. While it took more than one decade to release Enlightenment E17, they're looking at now getting into the swing of doing a major release every year...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI5ODI

  • #2
    What is with you and always spelling "asynchronous" with an unnecessary hyphen?

    Do you also write a-typical? A-symmetric? A-sexual? A-theist? An-aerobic? A-political?

    This frequent misspelling can't be helping search ranking. Probably sanitized by Google, but still.

    Comment


    • #3
      Am I missing something? I've not followed the progress of E17, but just from the evidence of this article, the goals for E18 seem fairly lofty given that it took a decade for the first version. Should we take anything they say seriously?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
        No. Why would anyone use this when you have xfce lxde?
        Because it gives you more config options than Xfce and even Openbox?
        Because its pager is much better?
        Because I'm a software hipster?
        Because I'm too used to using E17?

        Those are some of my reasons.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          Am I missing something? I've not followed the progress of E17, but just from the evidence of this article, the goals for E18 seem fairly lofty given that it took a decade for the first version. Should we take anything they say seriously?
          Give it a break. They are at least stating their intention to do this. Furthermore, E17 was worth the wait. It came right in time just after Unity, Gnome and KDE seperated into new ventures. E17 sticked to the traditional way of doing things.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
            Give it a break. They are at least stating their intention to do this. Furthermore, E17 was worth the wait. It came right in time just after Unity, Gnome and KDE seperated into new ventures. E17 sticked to the traditional way of doing things.
            Unity and Gnome I follow you on with that. But KDE?? Its looked the same way since 4.10 o_O

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
              No. Why would anyone use this when you have xfce lxde?
              If you really want to know, I recommend you check out the slideshow linked in the Phoronix news post. It explains the "why bother?" in some detail.

              Comment


              • #8
                TBH i expect it much earlier than christmas. More likely shortly after they release efl 1.8.



                Also zmike is again the release manager and you can track the progress at http://e18releasemanager.wordpress.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  I don't know, I think E13 was one of the earlier desktops I used back in the day and man did it impress people. It made Macs and Windows machines look hilariously ugly and primitive. I toyed with E16 but didn't like it as much, but E17 has a lot of the "cool!" factory that E13 did to me. That said I haven't used it really all that much since its been stable and only briefly when it wasn't.

                  I hope we start seeing E as a good alternative because it really is very cool, and it being properly developed again is a huge step for this. Sometimes you just get bored of your current setup and E makes a good choice for a different experience.

                  Good on them.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    video?!

                    fosdem did not record any of the crossdesktop talks.

                    did anyone record this presentation?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X