Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
    FACT: Qt is not protected by copyleft.
    Nonsense. It is LGPL, which is a copyleft license. Everybody using the LGPL version is bound by the LGPL.

You have an option to obtain a non-copyleft version for money, but it is still available under LGPL.

I know that you are a troll, but it is important to react to blatant lies like this because there are new users reading who might believe you.

Comment

First of all my wording was not "bad" it was more like "fucking piece of shit fucking freedom granted by copyleft".

Copyleft is lost when you are dual licensing on terms by the Qt CLA. QT can be closed up by the will of Digia. And KDEs counter measure is to pull the trigger on another anti-copyleft mechanism known as the Qt free foundation. KDE has the right to release Qt under a permissive license(non-copyleft). So yeah right now it is a stand by two entities capable of fucking freedom. While the stand off continues all the Qt shit is sold as commercial closed source shit.

And the irony to KDEs anti copyleft clause is that by pulling the trigger their now Qt-upstreamed framework goes non-copyleft as well. Thats scorched earth tactics harming open source.
      I'm sorry if I got you wrong but you say that KDE Free Qt Foundation and permissive non-copyleft licenses is are bad things? Well in my view closed-source = very bad, copyleft = bad, non-copy left permissive = good.
      Copyleft is a freedom restriction!!

Btw. pingufunkybeat said it right. There are two versions of Qt and one of them is copyleft. Digia does not have a mean for closing it. It just can stop developing it. You really seem to be a troll.
      Last edited by Grawp; 02-06-2013, 10:45 AM.

Comment

KDE-Qt Free Foundation has the ability to release Qt under ANY OSS license of its choosing, if Qt were ever to be closed.

It's just that the thread of using something like the BSD license is the most effective way of preventing such a scenario. The current situation is quite good: lots of paid LGPL development funded by a few companies who want to integrate it into closed software. So the closed-source shops are funding our desktop. Perfect!

Comment

First of all my wording was not "bad" it was more like "fucking piece of shit fucking freedom granted by copyleft".

Copyleft is lost when you are dual licensing on terms by the Qt CLA. QT can be closed up by the will of Digia. And KDEs counter measure is to pull the trigger on another anti-copyleft mechanism known as the Qt free foundation. KDE has the right to release Qt under a permissive license(non-copyleft). So yeah right now it is a stand by two entities capable of fucking freedom. While the stand off continues all the Qt shit is sold as commercial closed source shit.

And the irony to KDEs anti copyleft clause is that by pulling the trigger their now Qt-upstreamed framework goes non-copyleft as well. Thats scorched earth tactics harming open source.
          Not QUITE Funkstar, If Digia doesn't hold up their end of the contract-- that is to say, they dont keep release LGPL versions of Qt-- then KDE gets all of the Qt source under the BSD license with copyright assigned to them for that copy. So we would end up with with a Digia-Qt under a commercial, CLA license, and then a KDE-Qt under a BSD license, but since copyright is also transferred to them, they could then simply relicense all the code literally overnight to the GPL or the LGPL or any other license they wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
            Just to prove that KDE is dying and nobody is intereted in using it:
            http://www.damnocrazy.com/22/arc-ser...e-410-released
            LOL I confess, I couldn't resist

Comment

Hahaha in the day that KDE 4.10 released, google uses a pic in its search engine which displays feets and an apple.
              Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                Hahaha in the day that KDE 4.10 released, google uses a pic in its search engine which displays feets and an apple.
                Coincidence?
                While funny and ironic, a quick mouseover the doodle explains it :P

Comment

I know, but funny nevertheless

Comment

@funkSTAR
                    Okay, KDE it's a fucked up DE ever. BTW, is there anyone force you to use KDE? (maybe Lamar Smith?). I use KDE since version 4.2 and I love it.
                    You just don't forget that you're free to use any DE that you want, so stop mocking around.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
                      @funkstar:
                      even in my ignore list, i can read your irrelevant posts because others quotes you, how bad
                      Yeah… I'm considering adding everyone to my ignore list who's stupid enough to answer to him…

Comment

Originally posted by Shabahang View Post
                        @funkSTAR
                        Okay, KDE it's a fucked up DE ever. BTW, is there anyone force you to use KDE? (maybe Lamar Smith?). I use KDE since version 4.2 and I love it.
                        You just don't forget that you're free to use any DE that you want, so stop mocking around.
                        If funkSTAR wouldn't post his opinions, KDE developers could think that everybody thinks that KDE and its developers are doing everything right.

Comment

I just updated to 4.10 and it's the most beautiful desktop I've ever seen! Thanks a lot KDE developers.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                            KDE is not without problems, but at least they have a clear focus on the desktop.
                            Yeah, I really don't understand why pretty much everyone else is incapable of creating UI technology that adapts to the formfactor and instead opts for hybrid approaches.

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                            What i find lacking in KDE is Kwin. It's performance could be much improved. The GUI completely stalls after heavy I/O access, unlike the GNOME Shell. I believe the XCB support will help, we shall see. Other than that KDE is finally really stable and with plenty of features.
                            Unlike GS or Unity which went the totally retarded way of being written as plugin for a specific WM, Plasma Desktop runs just fine using Mutter or whatever. You'll lose a few transparency effects which rely on KWin but that's it.

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                            Yes, KDE is not without problems. Personally, I would like them to hide or remove some barely used options like the ones we see in the Desktop Settings. It's too much complicated in my opinion. It's even worse when we set Folder View as a default.
                            If you want a DE that removes configuration options, you are wrong in the KDE camp. Some distro may change the defaults to be closer to your taste, though.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                              If funkSTAR wouldn't post his opinions, KDE developers could think that everybody thinks that KDE and its developers are doing everything right.
                              Softwares always came with bugs and it's the nature of all softwares. KDE doesn't exempt this, but I can see that these bugs are fixing more and more in every version.

Comment

can't wait to get home to emerge kde 4.10, for pure fun ofc because kde 4.8 and superior have been rock solid for me in gentoo.

i admit tho that kde is a second class citizen in ubuntu derivates but arch/gentoo/sabayon/opensuse and the likes always offers KDE as its meant and normally much more stable than ubuntu derivates(at least until k/ubuntu 11.10)

Comment

Working...
                                X