Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE 4.10 Officially Released With Many Changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    I really believe that GNOME has lost its way, and its core developers are incompetent morons. I have been a long time user of GNOME and finally i decided to switch to KDE. KDE is not without problems, but at least they have a clear focus on the desktop.

    GNOME targets a market it simply can't compete in. They do this in the hope that they will be able to earn a piece of the tablet/smartphone pie. They will fail. And Unity will fail too. They can't compete with Google or Apple, that is insane. And they will lose their installed base in the process. It is too late for them to admit they are wrong or reverse their course, so they will continue their destructive policies until all it remains from their projects is a Wikipedia article...

    What i find lacking in KDE is Kwin. It's performance could be much improved. The GUI completely stalls after heavy I/O access, unlike the GNOME Shell. I believe the XCB support will help, we shall see. Other than that KDE is finally really stable and with plenty of features.

    Let's just hope they will not lose their mind like the others and turn KDE in another tablet UI....
    Yes, KDE is not without problems. Personally, I would like them to hide or remove some barely used options like the ones we see in the Desktop Settings. It's too much complicated in my opinion. It's even worse when we set Folder View as a default.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by kigurai View Post
      funkSTAR is an obvious troll. You however, are the first to bring up GNOME in a post about KDE.
      So I would be a bit careful about accusing people for trolling.
      I'm neither blind or stupid and I know his opinions about Qt, Gtk, KDE and Gnome. It's obvious to me that he's saying all of this by having Gnome in his mind.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
        I'm neither blind or stupid and I know his opinions about Qt, Gtk, KDE and Gnome. It's obvious to me that he's saying all of this by having Gnome in his mind.
        Add him to the ignore list. Problem solved.

        Comment


        • #19
          I don't use the KDE desktop anymore.
          But I do use some of the tools.

          IMHO a great thing of 4.10 is the implementation of tiled rendering for okular.
          This finally allows higher zoom factors than 4. At the same time it doesn't exhaustively
          consuming memory by rastering full-page pixmaps, while only a tiny part of it is relevant.

          Hope I can finally drop acroread.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by entropy View Post
            IMHO a great thing of 4.10 is the implementation of tiled rendering for okular.
            This finally allows higher zoom factors than 4.
            But okular limits its zoom to 1600%... At least you can zoom out more than "fit"

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by kigurai View Post
              Add him to the ignore list. Problem solved.
              ...and maybe report him for constantly breaking the first four forums rules.

              01.) Absolutely no flaming, name calling, sexual harassment, or other personal attacks will be permitted. Respect everyone, including the moderators and administrators.

              02.) No thread jacking will be permitted.

              03.) Spamming will not be tolerated.

              04.) Please refrain from using excessive amounts of profanity in your posts.
              It's just sad that the forums where there are quite a few active open source developers answering questions happens to be essentially unmoderated. When a person posts over two hundred posts that all are flamebaits, rude and factually incorrect and doesn't get banned in a forum where those things are prohibited there's something wrong with the site.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
                No, KDE is not removing features. If that's what you see, cut on the meth or whatever it is you take/drink, because apparently it's bad for you.
                Im on drugs? That must be the reason for the missing opacity settings in recent KDE. Every KDE user not seeing the opacity setting must be a drug addict. Are you?

                Its okay you are trolling its moronix after all. But now you have gone counter-factual. Not the best way to promote the dying KDE.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
                  But okular limits its zoom to 1600%... At least you can zoom out more than "fit"
                  Really? Are you referring to the new okular version included in KDE 4.10?
                  The KDE 4.9.5 version I still use (0.15.5) even only shows a maximum zoom level of 200%.
                  Anyhow, it's by far not enough if you have to zoom into technical vector drawings.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                    That must be the reason for the missing opacity settings in recent KDE.
                    https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/106285/
                    Just in case you missed the news (the review was commited long time ago, linked just because of the example script to add the opacity menu).

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Teho View Post
                      ...and maybe report him for constantly breaking the first four forums rules.
                      There are RULES?

                      It's just sad that the forums where there are quite a few active open source developers answering questions happens to be essentially unmoderated. When a person posts over two hundred posts that all are flamebaits, rude and factually incorrect and doesn't get banned in a forum where those things are prohibited there's something wrong with the site.
                      Well, yes. I agree. It's not just blatant trolling though. The level of courtesy and respect is frighteningly low.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by entropy View Post
                        Really? Are you referring to the new okular version included in KDE 4.10?
                        Yes, fresh kde-4.10.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
                          Yes, fresh kde-4.10.
                          Well, that's at least a significant improvement.

                          Edit: acroread 9.5.x does zoom levels up to 6400%.
                          That's very helpful sometimes.
                          Last edited by entropy; 02-06-2013, 08:13 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by entropy View Post
                            Edit: acroread 9.5.x does zoom levels up to 6400%.
                            That's very helpful sometimes.
                            Does okular support saving form data? This is the only reason why I sometimes need acroread and can't use evince, and using something that is not acroread would be nice.Hmm, evince only goes to 400%. That's usually enough, but it

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
                              https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/106285/
                              Just in case you missed the news (the review was commited long time ago, linked just because of the example script to add the opacity menu).
                              Nice logic. Gnomes shell is as scriptable as stuff can get. Thank you for making this clear. Im pretty sure alot of KDE users now will refrain from stupid attacks on gnome.

                              Still KDE removed a feature. Lol.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by kigurai View Post
                                Does okular support saving form data? This is the only reason why I sometimes need acroread and can't use evince,
                                and using something that is not acroread would be nice.Hmm, evince only goes to 400%. That's usually enough, but it... (Lost transmission)
                                I always thought this a limitation of poppler, which is also the PDF rendering backend of okular.
                                Not sure how they [okular devs] finally implemented tiled rendering.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X