Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nepomuk Sees Major Improvements In KDE 4.10

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nepomuk Sees Major Improvements In KDE 4.10

    Phoronix: Nepomuk Sees Major Improvements In KDE 4.10

    Nepomuk has undergone a number of exciting improvements for this social semantic desktop searchable framework with the new features being christened in KDE 4.10...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI5MDM

  • #2
    KDE 4.10 will be a very nice release, the only thing I'm still missing is a good RAW editor....

    Comment


    • #3
      Can I offer even a better improvement than everything's been done before?

      Let's remove nepumok and other semantic desktop features. They hurt.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Can I offer even a better improvement than everything's been done before?

        Let's remove nepumok and other semantic desktop features. They hurt.
        Halleluiah, brother!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Can I offer even a better improvement than everything's been done before?

          Let's remove nepumok and other semantic desktop features. They hurt.
          Thats why there is a check-box called "Enable Nepomuk Semantic Desktop" for people like you

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by birdie View Post
            Can I offer even a better improvement than everything's been done before?

            Let's remove nepumok and other semantic desktop features. They hurt.
            There's nothing INNATELY wrong with a semantic desktop (ex: a desktop that allows tagging, rates, file indexing / searching), its only the implementation that can be wrong. And "wrong" usually means its slow or buggy. Hence this work to fix Nepomuk.

            A few points though

            1) Yes you can turn it off for "people like you" System Settings > Desktop Search > Uncheck the first checkbox

            2) Kickoff needs Krunner (and by extension Nepomuk) integration, seriously.

            3) There needs to be a system tray applet that links into krunner for quick search like Apple Spotlight. I know you can do it via Alt-f2 but thats not very obvious and easily forgettable. A search icon in the systray however is more noticeable and more direct.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by EvilTwin View Post
              Thats why there is a check-box called "Enable Nepomuk Semantic Desktop" for people like you
              Which can't be enabled if you want fully functional KMail... Which is probably still the best, full featured, GUI mail client for Linux.

              Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              3) There needs to be a system tray applet that links into krunner for quick search like Apple Spotlight. I know you can do it via Alt-f2 but thats not very obvious and easily forgettable. A search icon in the systray however is more noticeable and more direct.
              You have search option in KMenu too, besides, Alt+F2 combination is standard on basically all desktop environments (Enlightment, Gnome, KDE, XFCE), not knowing it is like not knowing about Alt+F4...
              Last edited by tomato; 02-01-2013, 06:25 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by tomato View Post
                You have search option in KMenu too, besides, Alt+F2 combination is standard on basically all desktop environments (Enlightment, Gnome, KDE, XFCE), not knowing it is like not knowing about Alt+F4...
                Kickoff's search actually doesnt link into nepomuk (atleast on my system, if it does on yours please explain how) and an email regarding integrating Krunner (and by extension then, Nepomuk) into Kickoff was answered with "Someone would need to implement it" and nothing more.

                And do you really think its that common? ive only ever used KDE basically since 4.0 and I didnt really learn about alt-f2 for Krunner until last year and I still forget about it fairly often.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Slow, buggy and resource intensive

                  Nepomuk is a pig. It's a research project that isn't ready for field trials. Fork the tree from it and work in parallel until it is fully core aware with OpenCL on both the CPU and GPGPU, then put it back in, but keep it optional for folks on older systems and weak GPGPUs.

                  It never should have been turned on by default.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                    Nepomuk is a pig.
                    I can't tell. Maybe my computer isn't slow enough.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                      Nepomuk is a pig. It's a research project that isn't ready for field trials. Fork the tree from it and work in parallel until it is fully core aware with OpenCL on both the CPU and GPGPU, then put it back in, but keep it optional for folks on older systems and weak GPGPUs.
                      The CPU usage is usually not the problem. Memory can be, but if your system gets slow due to nepomuk/strigi it is more likely it is disk access. Especially if your home directory is encrypted.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Die Nepomuk ! die !

                        I dont know and I really don't care if it's disk access, ram or cpu, but experience on a huge range of desktop/laptop shows that
                        nepomuk on -> computer slow as hell, 'unusable' on any non-high-end computer
                        nepomuk off -> computer ok
                        (and of course, not using kde -> computer flies, but this is another topic)

                        And as said by others, KDE is so well engineered that half of it wont run/compile if you disable any of the fat guys (nepomuk, plasma, ..)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by orzel View Post
                          Die Nepomuk ! die !

                          I dont know and I really don't care if it's disk access, ram or cpu, but experience on a huge range of desktop/laptop shows that
                          nepomuk on -> computer slow as hell, 'unusable' on any non-high-end computer
                          nepomuk off -> computer ok
                          (and of course, not using kde -> computer flies, but this is another topic)

                          And as said by others, KDE is so well engineered that half of it wont run/compile if you disable any of the fat guys (nepomuk, plasma, ..)
                          If you don't accept dependency to the desktop when you use the desktop, you are a troll... Do you mean compile or disable? Obviously you can not build the plasma desktop part without plasma.
                          You can usually compile without nepomuk, I don't now if this is supported but it certainly more or less work. But it's moot as its no point. Nepomuk work.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Neposuks and Akoncrappi. Get rid of them both and KDE will be about perfect.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              So far I've just been disabling Nepomuk and Akonadi completely. Krunner still launches my programs, shows recent documents and does all the other nifty little things like acting as a quick calculator or launching a web search so I don't miss them too much.

                              That said, any improvements to them would be good.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X