Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compton Compositing Window Manager Slows Down

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Compton Compositing Window Manager Slows Down

    Phoronix: Compton Compositing Window Manager Slows Down

    The development pace of Compton, a lightweight compositing window manager for X11, has slowed down...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI4NTI

  • #2
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The development pace of Compton, a lightweight compositing window manager for X11, has slowed down.
    Originally posted by http://lubuntublog.blogspot.nl/2013/01/new-compton-ppa.html
    It's finished.
    Kind of makes sense doesn't it??

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
      Kind of makes sense doesn't it??
      Nice job, taking things out of context. That blog post was talking about the PPA, not the program itself.

      Comment


      • #4
        He ought to write it in Xcb instead of Xlib.

        Comment


        • #5
          Speaking of lightweight compositors, cairo-compmgr has much better performance and also supports a lot of effects (via plugins) like transparency, animations, window expo, etc. which actually work well in pure software rendering. Here's a quick demo in Unity 2D (all compositing done by cairo-compmgr, not metacity): http://youtu.be/pmvehTl_PYo

          I also maintain a PPA with it: https://launchpad.net/~shnatsel/+archive/cairo-compmgr

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Shnatsel View Post
            Speaking of lightweight compositors, cairo-compmgr has much better performance and also supports a lot of effects (via plugins) like transparency, animations, window expo, etc. which actually work well in pure software rendering. Here's a quick demo in Unity 2D (all compositing done by cairo-compmgr, not metacity): http://youtu.be/pmvehTl_PYo

            I also maintain a PPA with it: https://launchpad.net/~shnatsel/+archive/cairo-compmgr
            That looks pretty neat! Thanks for mentioning it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Checking branches...

              https://github.com/chjj/compton/commits/richardgv-dev

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
                Nice job, taking things out of context. That blog post was talking about the PPA, not the program itself.
                I understand your point. Yet I don't agree. Besides, a PPA is never finished as you have to update it. But alas, you have a point (somewhat...).

                Furthermore, what is to 'finish' at a PPA?

                Comment


                • #9
                  You could also use unagi:
                  http://unagi.mini-dweeb.org/

                  It is written in XCB...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I switched from Xfwm’s compositor to Compton two days ago and I’m very happy with it.
                    For what it’s worth here are the parameters I’m using:

                    compton -c -f -o 1.0 -I 0.1 -O 0.1 -C -i 0.95 -z --vsync opengl --unredir-if-possible --shadow-exclude "! name~=''" -b

                    I gained a very nice fade in/fade out effect, and of course no more tearing in VLC.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X