No announcement yet.

Fedora Proposal To Use Cinnamon Desktop By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I amusedly read all 23 pages of this thread, and only then decided I needed to create an account and toss in my 2 cents. Seriously people? There's an awful lot of trolling and just outright stupidity in this thread. Cinnamon is alright, but it's been in the Fedora repos for a hot minute and we've got people screaming that it should be the ever coveted DEFAULT. Please, just stop. There's no true default in Fedora anyway. In fact most distros don't have a default anymore. Hasn't been that way for quite a while now, since everyone and their damned dog jumped onto the Ubuntu model of spinning out a separate live cd for every possible desktop option.

I'm sure that by Fedora 19 or 20, someone will take a few hours out of their day to respin Fedora with Cinnamon. Probably one for Gnome2OnLifeSupport as well. This all is to say that any argument for default positioning is really an argument over a symlink on the front page of fedoraproject.org. If it means that much to you, make the respin yourself. Call it CinnamonRtheBestestLOLZ v1.0 and put a symlink on the front page of your site with top billing and giant arrows flashing and pointing at the link. Be sure to add an audio track that plays at full volume when you hit that page and exclaims that Cinnamon is the default, and you've accepted it as your lord and saviour and it will save us all! Hell it probably cures cancer too!

Comment

• Originally posted by VoodooSyxx View Post
      So I amusedly read all 23 pages of this thread, and only then decided I needed to create an account and toss in my 2 cents. Seriously people? There's an awful lot of trolling and just outright stupidity in this thread. Cinnamon is alright, but it's been in the Fedora repos for a hot minute and we've got people screaming that it should be the ever coveted DEFAULT. Please, just stop. There's no true default in Fedora anyway. In fact most distros don't have a default anymore. Hasn't been that way for quite a while now, since everyone and their damned dog jumped onto the Ubuntu model of spinning out a separate live cd for every possible desktop option.

I'm sure that by Fedora 19 or 20, someone will take a few hours out of their day to respin Fedora with Cinnamon. Probably one for Gnome2OnLifeSupport as well. This all is to say that any argument for default positioning is really an argument over a symlink on the front page of fedoraproject.org. If it means that much to you, make the respin yourself. Call it CinnamonRtheBestestLOLZ v1.0 and put a symlink on the front page of your site with top billing and giant arrows flashing and pointing at the link. Be sure to add an audio track that plays at full volume when you hit that page and exclaims that Cinnamon is the default, and you've accepted it as your lord and saviour and it will save us all! Hell it probably cures cancer too!
      Welcome to phoronix. People troll about everything, especially thing that don't matter...
      Usually when it start you can switch to the last page in the thread directly. Normally people use the same argument there as on the first page and have done so in all the pages between.
      Last edited by Akka; 03 February 2013, 01:26 PM.

Comment

There's no true default in Fedora anyway. In fact most distros don't have a default anymore. Hasn't been that way for quite a while now, since everyone and their damned dog jumped onto the Ubuntu model of spinning out a separate live cd for every possible desktop option.
        This all is to say that any argument for default positioning is really an argument over a symlink on the front page of fedoraproject.org.
        If that's true then why not change the default on fedora, such as it exists, from gnome shell? According to you it doesn't matter anyway.

Maybe because you're entire post is bullshit? Thanks, see you.

Comment

• Originally posted by thalaric View Post
          If that's true then why not change the default on fedora, such as it exists, from gnome shell? According to you it doesn't matter anyway.

Maybe because you're entire post is bullshit? Thanks, see you.
          So I'm assuming you read what I wrote, because you quoted it. Somehow though, you still fail to comprehend it. Go back and try again please. With less fail this time. There are different spins for each of the major desktops. Each desktop being the default for it's particular spin. What is it you people want? One spin to rule them all, with Cinnamon being the only desktop on the ISO and no other ISO available?
          Last edited by VoodooSyxx; 04 February 2013, 12:09 AM.

Comment

So I'm assuming you read what I wrote, because you quoted it. Somehow though, you still fail to comprehend it. Go back and try again please. With less fail this time. There are different spins for each of the major desktops. Each desktop being the default for it's particular spin. What is it you people want? One spin to rule them all, with Cinnamon being the only desktop on the ISO and no other ISO available?
            Did you also know that you can install an alternative desktop straight from the repository? So since you seem to be confused as to what is relevant to this discussion, Merriam Webster defines default as "5b : a selection automatically used by a computer program in the absence of a choice made by the user". So on Fedora the default is generally what you will find on this iso: http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/tor...esktop.torrent . You'll notice the lack of any qualifying statement about what desktop you are receiving.

Comment

• Like I said, you're essentially getting your boxers in a twist over a symlink to an ISO. It's petty and stupid. I'm sure there will be a Cinnamon spin at some point. Spins aren't all that difficult to do with the infrastructure Fedora has in place for it and someone will take the initiative to do it. That said, it will never be the "default". There really is no point whatsoever in making it so.

Comment

Like I said, you're essentially getting your boxers in a twist over a symlink to an ISO. It's petty and stupid. I'm sure there will be a Cinnamon spin at some point. Spins aren't all that difficult to do with the infrastructure Fedora has in place for it and someone will take the initiative to do it. That said, it will never be the "default". There really is no point whatsoever in making it so.
                I'm more likely to reserve the description "petty and stupid" for people who resurrect a thread for the sole purpose of calling the persons holding an opposing opinion "petty and stupid". If this discussion is meaningless to you then by all means, trouble yourself no further about it.

Comment

So I amusedly read all 23 pages of this thread, and only then decided I needed to create an account and toss in my 2 cents. Seriously people? There's an awful lot of trolling and just outright stupidity in this thread. Cinnamon is alright, but it's been in the Fedora repos for a hot minute and we've got people screaming that it should be the ever coveted DEFAULT. Please, just stop. There's no true default in Fedora anyway. In fact most distros don't have a default anymore. Hasn't been that way for quite a while now, since everyone and their damned dog jumped onto the Ubuntu model of spinning out a separate live cd for every possible desktop option.

Good thing you refrained from trolling. /sarcasm

Comment

• Originally posted by tomato View Post
                    Good thing you refrained from trolling. /sarcasm
                    Lol I'll admit to a bit of sarcasm and light flaming. Trolling, though? Nah.

Comment

• woman affiliated applause to grab for their Franch men pk Louis vuitton Bags

Comment

Working...
                      X