Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.8 Is Moving Along On Its New Features

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GNOME 3.8 Is Moving Along On Its New Features

    Phoronix: GNOME 3.8 Is Moving Along On Its New Features

    Matthias Clasen has issued an update today concerning the progress of new features for the upcoming release of GNOME 3.8...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI4MDg

  • #2
    These are not the planned features for 3.8 but general code quality goals. Not particularly interesting for end users.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by moonlite View Post
      These are not the planned features for 3.8 but general code quality goals. Not particularly interesting for end users.
      It's kinda weird that the words "new features" and "end users" still come up in threads about new gnome releases.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dstaubsauger View Post
        It's kinda weird that the words "new features" and "end users" still come up in threads about new gnome releases.
        Yet the Gnome haters are always there

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by moonlite View Post
          These are not the planned features for 3.8 but general code quality goals. Not particularly interesting for end users.
          True of some of them, but not all. Having sensible default names for print to file is a usability-related change, as are the desktop-file keywords and high-contrast icons. And the goal about notification sources is a bit of both - partly an infrastructure cleanup, but also about giving users control over which notifications they want to receive.

          Comment


          • #6
            Migrate from GSettings and dconf is great.
            Migrate from Python 2 to Python 3 is great.
            Migrate from GStreamer pre-1.0 to 1.0 is great.

            But I don't like the GMenu.
            The GMenu is for GNOME Shell, and I think it sucks, I don't like it. I use GNOME Fallback session.
            To all users who don't use GNOME Shell the GMenu sucks, because it makes all GNOME applications suck when not using GNOME Shell.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              But I don't like the GMenu.
              The GMenu is for GNOME Shell, and I think it sucks, I don't like it. I use GNOME Fallback session.
              To all users who don't use GNOME Shell the GMenu sucks, because it makes all GNOME applications suck when not using GNOME Shell.
              Fair enough... I don't much like it *with* Shell either. I kind of get what they're trying for, but having that "application menu" relocated to the shell panel just doesn't work for me. For starters, it's not particularly obvious that the feature in question is a menu at all, never mind that that's where you might find such things as preferences (or for that matter, the ability to exit the program). And - very unusually for Gnome 3 - it doesn't appear to be keyboard accessible.

              So yeah - unlike you, I'm generally pretty happy with Shell. But this specific feature, not so much.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                Fair enough... I don't much like it *with* Shell either. I kind of get what they're trying for, but having that "application menu" relocated to the shell panel just doesn't work for me. For starters, it's not particularly obvious that the feature in question is a menu at all, never mind that that's where you might find such things as preferences (or for that matter, the ability to exit the program). And - very unusually for Gnome 3 - it doesn't appear to be keyboard accessible.

                So yeah - unlike you, I'm generally pretty happy with Shell. But this specific feature, not so much.
                I agree with you here, I just realized I had to use the GMenu for some things like, last week, after using Gnome Shell for months now. I thought preferences for Nautilus and such disappeared :P.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by moonlite View Post
                  These are not the planned features for 3.8 but general code quality goals. Not particularly interesting for end users.
                  WHO thinks that quality improvements are "not particularly interesting for end users"???

                  NOBODY who works on any of my projects, that's for SURE.

                  Given the crap quality of the gnome user experience, ANY improvement is welcome by THIS end user. I can't even use gnome anymore. It slows down my computer and me. I don't have the time or the inclination to fight with it. I just install xubuntu and I can get my work done.
                  Last edited by frantaylor; 01-22-2013, 07:47 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Migrate from GSettings and dconf is great.
                    Migrate from Python 2 to Python 3 is great.
                    Migrate from GStreamer pre-1.0 to 1.0 is great.

                    But I don't like the GMenu.
                    The GMenu is for GNOME Shell, and I think it sucks, I don't like it. I use GNOME Fallback session.
                    To all users who don't use GNOME Shell the GMenu sucks, because it makes all GNOME applications suck when not using GNOME Shell.
                    I skimmed over the gmenu docs and I don't have a problem with it, per se, but I don't like that it is going to be tossed into the top bar.
                    I HATE ACCESSING APP MENUS AT THE TOP OF THE SCREEN!!!!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X