Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 Year Old KDE Bug Finally Gets Fixed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Ovocean View Post
    The Free software community needs a way to gather to pay developers for fixing bugs and developing features that no one is willing to fix/develop on their free time.
    We need a crowdfunding platform specialized in this! I believe it would greatly help the libre ecosystem as whole and offer payed job opportunities for libre software devs.
    Duh. You can't order someone to fix a bug nobody even noticed. This bug was never reported.
    Not only that but your idea in general hurts FOSS communities. It would encourage an atmosphere of “give me money or I won't release bug fixes” (bugs may already been fixed by the dev in private but not committed into git).
    If you just looked closer at GSOC you'd see that very often someone appears to develop a feature, gets accepted into GSOC, implements the feature fast and therefore buggy, and after collecting the money leaves without ever being heard of again. A case that comes to mind is KWin’s tiled window management. The code had to be removed for 4.10 because the GSOC developer did not maintain it.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      Duh. You can't order someone to fix a bug nobody even noticed. This bug was never reported.
      My post wasn't in relation to this specific bugfix, but to the discussion above with people arguing over the fact that a lot of bugs won't get fixed just because there's no developer willing to, even though they (the bugs) annoy many users.

      Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      Not only that but your idea in general hurts FOSS communities. It would encourage an atmosphere of “give me money or I won't release bug fixes” (bugs may already been fixed by the dev in private but not committed into git).
      Believe me, I love to see all this work done for free, but at some point, there's work that should be done that nobody wants to do for free. There must be ways to get money in libre software development, and crowdfunding is a much better solution than corporate funding. If you have better ideas, let us know.
      Last edited by Ovocean; 01-20-2013, 07:19 AM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Adaptee View Post
        That would be true for bug tracker of every big FOSS projects, ... .
        Of course. This as well as lot of other remarks ("it's foss, what did you expect", "do it yourself", "pay someone to do it") is obviously true. I dont have time to fix the bugs, i dont really care. I've spent way too much time carefully reporting bugs and i just gave up. I dont use KDE anymore, but i still do use some KDE apps which are really great (konvi, okular, gwenview) while hiding away with fear from the
        ugliest of them (kmail, kmail, akregator, did i say kmail was crap?).

        When i say "bugs are pilling and are ignored", this is the point of view of a developer, comparing to other FOSS. Yes, QA in FLOSS projects is very very often "not as great as it could". But i'm saying this is far worse here with KDE. Worse than other projects, and worse than in KDE before. This is not just another random "bouh, they did not fix my bug".

        My point is rather: this is soo much a pity. KDE used to be so good, and they ruined it all. It was technically very solid, and this is no more. It has really few bugs and those used to get fixed quickly, and now this is quite the opposite. They were able to understand critics and to recognize errors, change their mind and such. My favourite example is the switch away from corba. And at last.. they used to care about users, now their mostly selfishly care about themselves. They are all about "us, as a communauty", watching their navel and doing "fun stuff to code because this is what foss is all about". Whatever fun stuff they do they merge half-done and pretend for years that they are just 'fixing minor pb' while the whole stuff is completely buggy, fat and imposed to the user. Wants name ? Akonadi, strigi/nepomuk and, yes, plasma.

        Despite not using KDE anymore, I still have to mess with it because lot of family/friends use linux. That means different KDE versions and different distributions. The most important problem i have to fix is always to remove akonadi/strigi/nepomuk binaries and reduce plasma to its bare minimum, so that the computer start to get usable.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Ovocean View Post
          The Free software community needs a way to gather to pay developers for fixing bugs and developing features that no one is willing to fix/develop on their free time.
          We need a crowdfunding platform specialized in this! I believe it would greatly help the libre ecosystem as whole and offer payed job opportunities for libre software devs.

          I don't have the skills nor the time for this these days, only to spread the idea. Hopefully it gets picked up by someone.
          http://www.freedomsponsors.org/

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Ovocean View Post
            My post wasn't in relation to this specific bugfix, but to the discussion above with people arguing over the fact that a lot of bugs won't get fixed just because there's no developer willing to, even though they (the bugs) annoy many users.

            Believe me, I love to see all this work done for free, but at some point, there's work that should be done that nobody wants to do for free. There must be ways to get money in libre software development, and crowdfunding is a much better solution than corporate funding. If you have better ideas, let us know.
            Yeah, I have a better idea: Just shut up and stop claiming that encouraged FOSS developers release buggy software all the time! Major FOSS projects out there are no more buggy than commercial software. They are probably in the long run less buggy because the devs program what they use themselves.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by orzel View Post
              My favourite example is the switch away from corba.
              KDE has never used CORBA.

              GNOME used CORBA (in the form of Orbit) for their component model, but that never really took off.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by asdx
                How about if the taskbar gets some love too? It's been broken for a long time.

                https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=224447
                Now youre just trolling man, you bring up that same bug report everytime the topicof KDE's stability is questioned. And the answer is ALWAYS the same: that bug is WONTFIX because as of KDE 4.10-- currently in beta, the taskbar is being rewritten in QML so its very likely that bug will go away, and even if it doesnt then the issue will be very different so itll need a new bug report anyway.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                  Woah you're a fast programmer! ^^

                  Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  Yeah, I have a better idea: Just shut up and stop claiming that encouraged FOSS developers release buggy software all the time! Major FOSS projects out there are no more buggy than commercial software. They are probably in the long run less buggy because the devs program what they use themselves.
                  Your better idea is being rude and attributing me claims that I haven't made. :\ Though that right that it's what I feel, after 15 years of proprietary and 3 of Linux, I can say I encounter much more bugs and unpolished stuff on libre software.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by asdx
                    Where in the bug thread has it been marked WONTFIX?
                    The taskmanager wasn't rewritten for KDE SC 4.10 but it will be for 4.11 so I doubt the bug will be fixed before that; then again anything could happen.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Ovocean View Post
                      The Free software community needs a way to gather to pay developers for fixing bugs and developing features that no one is willing to fix/develop on their free time.
                      We need a crowdfunding platform specialized in this! I believe it would greatly help the libre ecosystem as whole and offer payed job opportunities for libre software devs.

                      I don't have the skills nor the time for this these days, only to spread the idea. Hopefully it gets picked up by someone.
                      Three words for you.

                      JOIN THE GAME

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                        Now youre just trolling man, you bring up that same bug report everytime the topicof KDE's stability is questioned. And the answer is ALWAYS the same: that bug is WONTFIX because as of KDE 4.10-- currently in beta, the taskbar is being rewritten in QML so its very likely that bug will go away, and even if it doesnt then the issue will be very different so itll need a new bug report anyway.
                        My answer to that bug is here.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
                          Three words for you.
                          JOIN THE GAME [url removed to avoid post moderation]
                          I don't use KDE but when I switch from Ubuntu to Mageia, I'll setup automatic donation to this distro.
                          Though, crowdfunding and donating isn't the same. Crowdfunding offers more security: your money is used only if there is enough collected to do the job.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by asdx
                            Where in the bug thread has it been marked WONTFIX?

                            You're the one trolling, I simply pointed out a bug in KDE and you call me troll? If you have nothing constructive to say just go away and shut the fuck up.
                            Go into the bug report search "QML" every hit you'll get is regards to rewriting the taskbar into QML

                            http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KD...0_Feature_Plan search "Task Manager" one of the hits is "Port Task Manager to QML" Marked as in progress

                            Michael's article on KDE 4.10 features: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTIwNTQ One of the listed features listed is "Rewritten task manager" (and btw systray)."

                            As per arch linux screenshots, because 4.10 has hit kde-unstable, I know that even though its marked as "In progress" it IS in release. Standard KDE procedure is any component that is the in process of being rewritten gets no bugfixes against the "legacy", especially if the new one is ABOUT to be released.

                            New Task manager IS about to be released in about 2 weeks, thats not even enough time for a 4.9.x bugfix release to be put out. The bug may not officially be marked as "WONTFIX" but its definitely implied by the situation.

                            If a version of the bug is still present in the new QML version then it may be fixed after that, but until the QML version is released and we see if the bug is still present or not that bug-- for all intents and purposes, is stalled.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by orzel View Post
                              But i'm saying this is far worse here with KDE. Worse than other projects, and worse than in KDE before. This is not just another random "bouh, they did not fix my bug".
                              OK, then please show me one *big project* with the similar size to KDE that has better QA, so that I can see&learn how they are doing. Hint, can't be GNOME, since I have shown you the statistics that they are *even worse* in this topic.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                                As per arch linux screenshots, because 4.10 has hit kde-unstable, I know that even though its marked as "In progress" it IS in release.
                                No, it is not. Sorry.
                                The widgets part of 4.10 which have been ported to QML are:
                                ActivityManager, lcdweather, systemtray, comic, widgetexplorer, pager, weather, battery, konqprofiles, lockout, nowplaying, notifications, printmanager, calculator, konsoleprofiles, notifier

                                (located in /usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma/packages/ and /usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma/plasmoids/ under openSUSE)

                                Hopefully 4.11 will finally have a complete port of the taskbar: http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KD...1_Feature_Plan

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X