Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-Process Support For GTK's HTTP Back-End

Phoronix: Multi-Process Support For GTK's HTTP Back-End

Broadway, the HTML5 back-end for GTK3 that allows GTK applications to be rendered within a modern web-browser and served via a server, now has support for initiating multiple processes. The Broadway multi-process support is similar to running an X11 Server session with multiple windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now run a panel instead of a terminal and sell thin clients for it.

Whooooooo GREAT

Comment

Well, there is your wayland remote desktop solution...

Btw, I lolled at the Gimp splashscreen (Goat invasion!)

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post

Btw, I lolled at the Gimp splashscreen (Goat invasion!)
        That's what the current master for 2.10 used to be called when a branch, IIRC.

Comment

Really cool!

How does this work?
          Is it HTML, CSS and JavaScript?
          Or is it HTML5 canvas and JavaScript?

Can it run gnome-shell? Like a whole GNOME desktop in the browser?
          What about GDM so you can login as any user?

This would be awesome to run on a server in the cloud.
          Great for thin clients. Great to introduce people to GNOME who never tried it before, just give them an URL.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
            Speaking of Wayland remoting, I have come across some Microsoft patents filed between 2008 and 2011, related to the Remote Desktop Protocol describing the intented remoting solution for wayland. I hope devs read them carefully so they can come up with a solution that circunvents them.
            Last edited by newwen; 28 December 2012, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              How does this work?
              Is it HTML, CSS and JavaScript?
              Or is it HTML5 canvas and JavaScript?
              HTML5 canvas + JS (websockets).

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Can it run gnome-shell? Like a whole GNOME desktop in the browser?
              What about GDM so you can login as any user?
              No.
              No.
              And No.

Comment

I would like Gnome to go further with HTMLv5 and beat Tizen and BlackBerry 10's browser, so that HTML5 webapps or local, can access the webcam and what have you...

Then we have a real 'API' everybody supports. Apps, then, can be run on everything, and every important app in Gnome.

If we may believe Steve Wozniak, who works in the internet (read=cloud) business, then there is a shift going on, that enables devices to become interactive over HTML5, by means of mobile phones. That's also what Apple has been working on with their upcomming TV, where the iPhones works as a remote controll for it. (There's a patent somewhere)

Imagine a beamer/large screen in a conference room, where everybody can interact with a local webapp on their mobile phone, for collaboration. That would be a giant boost for IT.

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
                  Speaking of Wayland remoting, I have come across some Microsoft patents filed between 2008 and 2011, related to the Remote Desktop Protocol describing the intented remoting solution for wayland. I hope devs read them carefully so they can come up with a solution that circunvents them.
                  Even though this might be OT, i would really like to hear more about this.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                    Even though this might be OT, i would really like to hear more about this.
                    +1 , I also don't see how there could be patents that block remote Wayland since you have alternatives like x11vnc, freenx and of course X11 remote as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X