Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 4.0 Beta 2 Is Looking Good

Phoronix: LibreOffice 4.0 Beta 2 Is Looking Good

LibreOffice 4.0 Beta 2 was recently released as the final beta ahead of the major 4.0 release for this leading open-source office suite...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

'looking' good! where's the screens to show it

Comment

Quite frankly, the new LO 4.0 features look rather lame compared to what Apache is cooking for OO 4.0 ? planned release March/April 2013.
      Sure, the upgrade from Python 2 to 3 breaks compatibility and therefore is enough to justify a 4.0 release but overall it's just a collection of rather small changes (updating GStreamer to 1.0, moving a few GUI items round, anti-aliasing). The few bigger changes are often completely useless stuff like an embedded Logo interpreter or support for MS Publisher.
      Gratend, Visio file compatibility is nice. Calligra had it longer, though.

But aside a bucket full of smaller changes, Apache also has in store for OO 4.0, Apache also uses the chance to revamp the whole UI.

Comment

Support ISO 690 and ISO 690-2

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: LibreOffice 4.0 Beta 2 Is Looking Good

LibreOffice 4.0 Beta 2 was recently released as the final beta ahead of the major 4.0 release for this leading open-source office suite...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI2MjA
        Hello,

I am pleasing for support of ISo 690 like priority for LibreOffice 4.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
          'looking' good! where's the screens to show it

Comment

the windows installer is broken out of the box. i've tried it on numerous computers. methinks its because you need to have java preinstalled. do these guys test their broken junk before they ship it?

Comment

Support ISO 690 and ISO 690-2

still not ? :/

Comment

Under filter improvements it just talks about visio, does anyone know if things like .docx and .pptx have better support? I mean I created a VERY simple presentation in 3.6.4 and saved it as pptx and it was all messed up when opened in office...

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
                  Under filter improvements it just talks about visio, does anyone know if things like .docx and .pptx have better support? I mean I created a VERY simple presentation in 3.6.4 and saved it as pptx and it was all messed up when opened in office...
                  MS Office can open ODF files. There is no need to export to MSOOXML, unless you're only on Mac because MS Office:Mac is the only MS Office version that can't handle ODF files.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    Quite frankly, the new LO 4.0 features look rather lame compared to what Apache is cooking for OO 4.0 ? planned release March/April 2013.
                    Sure, the upgrade from Python 2 to 3 breaks compatibility and therefore is enough to justify a 4.0 release but overall it's just a collection of rather small changes (updating GStreamer to 1.0, moving a few GUI items round, anti-aliasing). The few bigger changes are often completely useless stuff like an embedded Logo interpreter or support for MS Publisher.
                    Gratend, Visio file compatibility is nice. Calligra had it longer, though.
                    (Improved) file format support for RTF, Visio & MS Publisher (maybe you don't use Publisher, but lots of people do/did use it) are always big improvements IMO. And the "logo interpreter" is just a 1400 lines Python script, and seems useful for both schools & creative artists, so maybe you don't have a use for it, but they might do...

Also, some of the "small improvements" are needed to fix issues in other places (e.g. in several import/export filters).

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    But aside a bucket full of smaller changes, Apache also has in store for OO 4.0, Apache also uses the chance to revamp the whole UI.
                    If you read the LibO 4.x release notes, you will see that they did work that makes it easier to prototype new user interfaces. Let's see what that makes possible in the long term.

BTW: I hope AOO's "all new UI" doesn't mean they will get IBM's Java/Eclipse based interface?

Comment

Working...
                    X