Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

REAPER Audio May Be Coming To Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • REAPER Audio May Be Coming To Linux

    Phoronix: REAPER Audio May Be Coming To Linux

    The REAPER digital audio workstation software may be coming to Linux per a statement by its developers...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI2MTQ

  • #2
    Jack or PulseAudio or both?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by jhansonxi View Post
      Jack or PulseAudio or both?
      Neither. In fact, this is a classic Phoronix non-announcement of old non-news.

      The Reaper developers have hinted at a Linux port and hinted at possibly even eventually open sourcing Reaper since day 1. 6 years later, we have a half ass Linux port hidden on their pre-release website that isn't remotely usable, and even if it were it would still need WINE to host VST plugins. Justin has had a Linux binary available for over a year, but it has no support for Jack, Alsa or anything else, it is just a testbed waiting for some overly generous person to write some UI code in hopes that maybe someday Justin will finish writing the rest of the Linux port as proprietary code. The only difference now is that he's claiming he might offer some undisclosed sum of money for somebody else to do the work. As I said, even if somebody steps in and does it, there would still be a lot more work to do.

      Reaper on OSX is a joke compared to the Windows version, and OSX has much better support for professional audio than Linux. OSX has audio interface drivers written by the vendors, rather than reverse engineered drivers Linux uses that aren't even feature complete, not that the kernel devs can be blamed for that. If the OSX version is junk, I would expect the eventual Linux port to end up somewhat worse than junk, when/if it ever comes at all. You'd be better off taking your chances with the native Linux equivalents of Reaper that started off as Linux applications, even if they are inferior to Reaper for feature set and quality.
      Last edited by sp4rky; 12-25-2012, 02:34 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by sp4rky View Post
        OSX has much better support for professional audio than Linux. OSX has audio interface drivers written by the vendors, rather than reverse engineered drivers Linux uses that aren't even feature complete
        Meh. My sound card (Xonar) has a feature-complete driver (and without the Windows driver bloat), while Mac OS does not support it at all.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by pankkake View Post
          Meh. My sound card (Xonar) has a feature-complete driver (and without the Windows driver bloat), while Mac OS does not support it at all.
          Xonar isn't a pro audio interface that anybody other than a hobbyist would use with Reaper. I'm talking about a 16 in, 16 out pro audio interface that could be used to record a full band.

          Some such interfaces do work with Linux, but usually parts of the card do not work, or you cannot use all available sample rates and internal features that would be available on Windows or OSX. I'm not saying that none of them are usable for that purpose in Linux, but nearly all pro audio interfaces have both a OSX and Windows driver that expose all of their functionality. Most professionals wouldn't want to spend $1000 US or more on an interface and take a chance of it not working on a reverse engineered driver.

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, they didn't write the initial Windows code using Qt and now they're paying the price. They would have had a Mac and Linux GUI virtually for free. The lesson: be portable from the beginning, especially if it's easy to do so, even if you don't have immediate plans for a non-Windows port.

            This just shows how shortsighted some developers are.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              Well, they didn't write the initial Windows code using Qt and now they're paying the price. They would have had a Mac and Linux GUI virtually for free. The lesson: be portable from the beginning, especially if it's easy to do so, even if you don't have immediate plans for a non-Windows port.

              This just shows how shortsighted some developers are.
              +1000000

              Qt is better than most people think it is. Many Linux applications take the easy way out and just rely on the system Qt theme for styling.

              Qt is capable of making a beatiful, smooth GUI, I think Mixxx is the best of example of a proper cross platform audio application with a beatiful Qt GUI:

              http://mixxx.org/

              Mixxx is one of the few Linux applications that doesn't get overlooked by Windows and OSX users for being ugly or plain looking.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by sp4rky View Post
                Neither. In fact, this is a classic Phoronix non-announcement of old non-news.

                The Reaper developers have hinted at a Linux port and hinted at possibly even eventually open sourcing Reaper since day 1. 6 years later, we have a half ass Linux port hidden on their pre-release website that isn't remotely usable, and even if it were it would still need WINE to host VST plugins. Justin has had a Linux binary available for over a year, but it has no support for Jack, Alsa or anything else, it is just a testbed waiting for some overly generous person to write some UI code in hopes that maybe someday Justin will finish writing the rest of the Linux port as proprietary code. The only difference now is that he's claiming he might offer some undisclosed sum of money for somebody else to do the work. As I said, even if somebody steps in and does it, there would still be a lot more work to do.

                Reaper on OSX is a joke compared to the Windows version, and OSX has much better support for professional audio than Linux. OSX has audio interface drivers written by the vendors, rather than reverse engineered drivers Linux uses that aren't even feature complete, not that the kernel devs can be blamed for that. If the OSX version is junk, I would expect the eventual Linux port to end up somewhat worse than junk, when/if it ever comes at all. You'd be better off taking your chances with the native Linux equivalents of Reaper that started off as Linux applications, even if they are inferior to Reaper for feature set and quality.


                Good opinion, but you will look less ridiculous if you don't use the world "reverse engineered" for GNU Linux and free software. Maybe in your world companies copy one each other and maybe Windows and Mac started as bad quality Unix clones, but there is not a better thing for us to create from the start with cooperation that equals quality plus new and many ideas. We only "reverse engineering" for compatibility reasons like WineHQ does, and if we do that we not copy, just exchange like: D3D to OGL.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                  Or, they just don't give a fuck about linux, just an afterthought. But anyway more software on linux is better. We need more corporations taking control of this thing called linux before it gets slammed into the ground by idiots who don't care what users want, but say they do and impose their stupid ideas on others. Corporations run for profits so they have an incentive to do what people want, not run around writing code that nobody uses.

                  I really hate to see closed software on Linux, i will never run it. If a company wants to work with Linux the best solution is to sell material and not code, example: Instead of FLStudio i prefer to buy a sound collection (samples+presets) for an open program (possible via an online store). If the open program misses something then give it to us like open source. I will accept to run closed games via Wine only and i demand a Wine-Qemu(KVM) patch, in order to have complete protection (VM environment) with less than 5% CPU loss. Linux exist for a reason, anything else is not a welcome.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by artivision View Post
                    Good opinion, but you will look less ridiculous if you don't use the world "reverse engineered" for GNU Linux and free software. Maybe in your world companies copy one each other and maybe Windows and Mac started as bad quality Unix clones, but there is not a better thing for us to create from the start with cooperation that equals quality plus new and many ideas. We only "reverse engineering" for compatibility reasons like WineHQ does, and if we do that we not copy, just exchange like: D3D to OGL.
                    Hey buddy, most of the Linux pro audio interface drivers are reverse engineered, maybe you should stick to things you actually know about.

                    A few pro audio companies like RME have chipped in documentation to help with Linux drivers, but most are reverse engineered, or created from documentation of the ASIC the interface uses, like the ICE and ENVY chips. However, the generic ASIC drivers do not take into account any special sauce the vendor added to the interface so they almost always cannot take full advantage of the hardware, or may not fully work without special quirks being added.

                    Then there's the class compliant audio interface drivers. These are mostly confined to USB1 class compliant devices, which once again will only take advantage of features that are part of the USB1 audio standard. USB2 class compliance for Linux is still in bad shape, and USB3 audio interfaces are virtually non-existant.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by artivision View Post
                      I really hate to see closed software on Linux, i will never run it. If a company wants to work with Linux the best solution is to sell material and not code, example: Instead of FLStudio i prefer to buy a sound collection (samples+presets) for an open program (possible via an online store). If the open program misses something then give it to us like open source. I will accept to run closed games via Wine only and i demand a Wine-Qemu(KVM) patch, in order to have complete protection (VM environment) with less than 5% CPU loss. Linux exist for a reason, anything else is not a welcome.
                      To each his own. I personally have nothing against proprietary applications. I prefer open source applications whereas I insist on an open source operating system.

                      If two applications have close to the same feature set and quality but one is open source while the other is proprietary, then obviously I prefer the open source application. Unfortunately, nothing really comes close to Reaper in the open source world so I would have no issue paying the very nominal fee that the Reaper developers ask for.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by artivision View Post
                        I really hate to see closed software on Linux, i will never run it. If a company wants to work with Linux the best solution is to sell material and not code, example: Instead of FLStudio i prefer to buy a sound collection (samples+presets) for an open program (possible via an online store). If the open program misses something then give it to us like open source. I will accept to run closed games via Wine only and i demand a Wine-Qemu(KVM) patch, in order to have complete protection (VM environment) with less than 5% CPU loss. Linux exist for a reason, anything else is not a welcome.
                        yeah, it's a total shame that people want money for their work! They should give you all they did for free. OpenSource is a nice thought, but as long as we live in a capitalistic society, that's not a real option. Who would stop you from just taking the source code that is given alongside the program and share it over P2P networks? Yeah, exactly nobody.

                        Belive me, I'm not happy with that situation either, but it's not my choice to do anything about it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Programmers should work for free. If they want money they should get a REAL job!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                            yeah, it's a total shame that people want money for their work! They should give you all they did for free. OpenSource is a nice thought, but as long as we live in a capitalistic society, that's not a real option. Who would stop you from just taking the source code that is given alongside the program and share it over P2P networks? Yeah, exactly nobody.

                            Belive me, I'm not happy with that situation either, but it's not my choice to do anything about it.


                            Yeah they must earn some money for their job, but for a real job, not remaking something that already exists with small differences. They must sell samples and presets for open LMMS (not FLStudio), scripts for GIMP that are not exactly programs (not Photoshop), cards for LibreOffice (not Microsoft Office). And at the end LMMS has 2-3 good metal guitars to play, FLStudio is a garbage that doesn't do what they say it does. Actually closed source its complete garbage anyway. The only reason they exist is because we haven't take them seriously, for example: If the samples of freesound.org were mechanical sound forms (samples and presets) like Kontakt, with the analogous program and plugin for LMMS and others, then i don't thing that closed source will ever make a single sale.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                              but as long as we live in a capitalistic society
                              Well congratulations! Thanks to ignorant-izens of the world, LOLbama and the New World Order, we're now becoming a Fascist society, so we don't have to worry about that anymore.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X