Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Splashtop For Linux Claims 10x Performance Advantage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Splashtop For Linux Claims 10x Performance Advantage

    Phoronix: Splashtop For Linux Claims 10x Performance Advantage

    Splashtop for Ubuntu Linux is being released today and it claims to be 10x faster than VNC plus offering a host of other features...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIzNzc

  • #2
    This is a welcome addition if it proves to offer better performance then horrible VNC and and easier setup then NX (sorry guys but RDP blows VNC away in terms of performance and features).

    Comment


    • #3
      How exactly does one quantify the "performance" of VNC in order to claim that their alternative is faster? VNC can be fast OR slow, or anywhere in between, depending on the specific implementation and configuration. The fact that this is proprietary software takes away any practical use for it. VNC's advantage is that it is open, and therefore truly cross platform. It also is easily tunneled (i.e., via SSH or whatever), and this tunnelling is typically an option within the client software itself. Security-wise, how can anything be more secure than giving the choice of YOUR CHOICE of security?

      Personally, I don't trust black box security systems. If I can't audit the code, I can't trust that it isn't doing something malicious, or isn't GOING to do something malicious. When you're right into it at this level, where you could be using it to log in to high security systems as root, how do you know that it isn't logging your keystrokes and saving them up for a dump to China?

      Thanks, but no thanks. I neither trust the proprietary security, nor do I believe the claims of superior performance.

      Comment


      • #4
        wanted to try it out but because it depends on libx264-120 i cannot. seems this is a lib version used in ubuntu 12.04 while ubuntu 12.10 is using libx264-123.

        they also state that they currently only support ubuntu 12.04.

        Comment


        • #5
          Well this is annoying...

          Yet another proprietary remote X solution. My employer supports one specific high-performance remote X solution, but it's a bit of a pain to use, and is meant to install on "supported" platforms. I usually end up just using VNC or remote X. Splashtop is proprietary, NX is proprietary. There are free versions of NX, but it looks like a royal pain to set up.

          Once upon a time there was a thing called "dxpc" - "Differential X Protocol Compression" that was quite good. In fact for a while I was forced to use it to get X, because we had a brain-dead VPN that wouldn't tunnel X, but would tunnel dxpc. It also did a darned good job of remote X, largely by caching state and short-circuiting a lot of the round trips. But it has withered on the vine - the last release was 3.9.2 in August, 2009. Oddly enough, NX lists dxpc in its credits as one of its starting points.

          Once you start listening to Wayland developers and not "remote-X-tard fanbois" you find that remote operation and X are both in their plans. Perhaps with the underlying simplicity of Wayland, we'll get something faster.

          Comment


          • #6
            I want to check this out, but being as i don't use ubuntu and extracting the deb and manually installing it didn't work, i guess i will have to wait for a response from their support staff. I've inquired as to why the 'Download open source package' link doesn't work. I selected version 2.0.0.11 which then made the download button active, but nothing happened from there :\

            hopefully, they will fix that link because obviously the 'open source package' _should_ include source code.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ninez View Post
              I want to check this out, but being as i don't use ubuntu and extracting the deb and manually installing it didn't work, i guess i will have to wait for a response from their support staff. I've inquired as to why the 'Download open source package' link doesn't work. I selected version 2.0.0.11 which then made the download button active, but nothing happened from there :\

              hopefully, they will fix that link because obviously the 'open source package' _should_ include source code.
              the open source download link worked for me. though it is not what i and you expected. it includes the srouces for an sha implementaion, an low latency audio codec and a video codec implementation. however it does not include sources of the program. very confusing how it is named on the web site.

              Comment


              • #8
                Based on the dependencies that people list here, it sounds like this software just captures frames from the screen and compresses them into an h264 video stream that is shown on the remote schreen, then adds support for relaying input events on top of that?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  This is a welcome addition if it proves to offer better performance then horrible VNC and and easier setup then NX (sorry guys but RDP blows VNC away in terms of performance and features).
                  X2Go is based on NX and much easier to use. It works over SSH. I've installed (but not played) Linux games using graphical installers on a remote system with a cable connection from a laptop using dial-up (49K).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    My favourite is winswitch -- relatively easy to use, available also on android, lots of features, etc.


                    http://winswitch.org/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      This is a welcome addition if it proves to offer better performance then horrible VNC and and easier setup then NX (sorry guys but RDP blows VNC away in terms of performance and features).
                      First: turbovnc has pretty good jpg compression, i can play 3d games remotely with 600Kbps and 1024x768 with good quality at 20fps and almost no delay.
                      Second: Microsoft RDP does not allow you to connect to the local display like vnc does
                      Third: Freenx always worked out of the box by simply installing it and enabling ssh.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        splattop

                        Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
                        First: turbovnc has pretty good jpg compression, i can play 3d games remotely with 600Kbps and 1024x768 with good quality at 20fps and almost no delay.
                        Second: Microsoft RDP does not allow you to connect to the local display like vnc does
                        Third: Freenx always worked out of the box by simply installing it and enabling ssh.
                        first:yup
                        second: always one, it's been possible with the /console switch for years(from any rdp client). sorry u just found out :P
                        third: yup

                        As for the other comments quite the same as me, their description of all their crap is confusing, to say the least, the fact it offers no linux client (yes the server is on the machine u want to control, don't ask me what their idea of a client is), is rather stupid; so why it finds itself as proprietry and on phoronix i have no ideas.

                        You want fast, efficient remote control, your ok with proprietry, it's called NetOp it's been around for YEARS, and it urinates all over RDP fanboys.
                        I have no idea why this tech was compared to VNC, almost has nothing to do with it.

                        winswitch leads to xpra.org right? (in the end)
                        NX rullleess

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by bofh80 View Post
                          winswitch leads to xpra.org right? (in the end)
                          NX rullleess
                          Partially, it can also use NX and VNC and I think it can connect to RDP as well. Just check their site!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            X2go

                            Originally posted by jhansonxi View Post
                            X2Go is based on NX and much easier to use.
                            Exactly! And it's free/libre software.

                            Also:
                            Co-operation between Canonical, X2Go and Edubuntu

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                              How exactly does one quantify the "performance" of VNC in order to claim that their alternative is faster? VNC can be fast OR slow, or anywhere in between, depending on the specific implementation and configuration. The fact that this is proprietary software takes away any practical use for it. VNC's advantage is that it is open, and therefore truly cross platform. It also is easily tunneled (i.e., via SSH or whatever), and this tunnelling is typically an option within the client software itself. Security-wise, how can anything be more secure than giving the choice of YOUR CHOICE of security?

                              Personally, I don't trust black box security systems. If I can't audit the code, I can't trust that it isn't doing something malicious, or isn't GOING to do something malicious. When you're right into it at this level, where you could be using it to log in to high security systems as root, how do you know that it isn't logging your keystrokes and saving them up for a dump to China?

                              Thanks, but no thanks. I neither trust the proprietary security, nor do I believe the claims of superior performance.
                              Whether you want to believe it or not, Splashtop is much faster than VNC has ever been. Its impressive that you audit every single line of code that you run on your computing devices. Its amazing that you can find the time to actually use your computer to get things done.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X