Splashtop For Linux Claims 10x Performance Advantage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    This is a welcome addition if it proves to offer better performance then horrible VNC and and easier setup then NX (sorry guys but RDP blows VNC away in terms of performance and features).
    First: turbovnc has pretty good jpg compression, i can play 3d games remotely with 600Kbps and 1024x768 with good quality at 20fps and almost no delay.
    Second: Microsoft RDP does not allow you to connect to the local display like vnc does
    Third: Freenx always worked out of the box by simply installing it and enabling ssh.

Comment

Originally posted by bofh80
      winswitch leads to xpra.org right? (in the end)
      NX rullleess
      Partially, it can also use NX and VNC and I think it can connect to RDP as well. Just check their site!

Comment

X2go

Originally posted by jhansonxi View Post
        X2Go is based on NX and much easier to use.
        Exactly! And it's free/libre software.

Also:
        Co-operation between Canonical, X2Go and Edubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          How exactly does one quantify the "performance" of VNC in order to claim that their alternative is faster? VNC can be fast OR slow, or anywhere in between, depending on the specific implementation and configuration. The fact that this is proprietary software takes away any practical use for it. VNC's advantage is that it is open, and therefore truly cross platform. It also is easily tunneled (i.e., via SSH or whatever), and this tunnelling is typically an option within the client software itself. Security-wise, how can anything be more secure than giving the choice of YOUR CHOICE of security?

Personally, I don't trust black box security systems. If I can't audit the code, I can't trust that it isn't doing something malicious, or isn't GOING to do something malicious. When you're right into it at this level, where you could be using it to log in to high security systems as root, how do you know that it isn't logging your keystrokes and saving them up for a dump to China?

Thanks, but no thanks. I neither trust the proprietary security, nor do I believe the claims of superior performance.
          Whether you want to believe it or not, Splashtop is much faster than VNC has ever been. Its impressive that you audit every single line of code that you run on your computing devices. Its amazing that you can find the time to actually use your computer to get things done.

Comment

Well, i got Splashtop running in Archlinux (and MacOSX) conrolled from my Nexus 7 - it works fantastically well and makes RDP, VNC, NX, etc look like garbage in comparison. (seriously!)

I think Splashtop shouldn't be hard to setup up on other distro's as well. You originally had to install ubuntu's libSRx264wrapper, but after a few of us were in contact with thier support staff, they decided to include it with Splashtop. The only other big requirement is Network Manager has to be running (otherwise Splashtop will hang). They also seem to be using debian's OpenSSL symbol_versioning patch, for whatever reason (so i ended up patching OpenSSL). Hopefully, they will ditch that downstream patch or just include OpenSSL instead, either one would be good.

...now, they just need to release a version that allows me to control my machines, using my Desktop (and not just my tablet).

Comment

Working...
            X