Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 18 Beta Brings The IonMonkey Engine

Phoronix: Firefox 18 Beta Brings The IonMonkey Engine

Mozilla's Firefox 18 Beta web-browser released on Monday. New to this development release that's coming just one week after Firefox 17 is integrating the new IonMonkey JavaScript engine...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIzNjg

Interesting that even though they have a new JS engine, they cite 64bit JS performace as one of the reasons for abandoning a 64bit Windows version of Firefox.

Comment

Benchmarks

I would like to see IonMonkey benchmarks...

Comment

Why not using LLVM directly? AMD uses it with their R600

NIH syndrome again...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          It's not like they require some complex setup. Anyone can run them.

Comment

Practically speaking, Firefox not being able to sync with Chrome's stored passwords and tabs are what is keeping me away from switching / using it on a daily basis. I don't feel there's a need to do a jump altogether, but wouldn't mind using both, however the lack of session sync between these two is a problem.

(the same would apply for Chrome as well if I was to be switching from Firefox, hypothetically speaking).

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              I just did it, comparing firefox 17 vs aurora 19 using peacekeeper benchmark.
              Aurora gave me about 1800 where firefox gave me about 1000. very nice speedup!

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                Why not using LLVM directly? AMD uses it with their R600

NIH syndrome again...
                I was about to post this. With this iteration they seem to be reinventing even more of what LLVM does.

Comment

Release notes:

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    I was about to post this. With this iteration they seem to be reinventing even more of what LLVM does.
                    Yes, well... Firefox *does* predate LLVM by quite a few years, and adding LLVM-like features into their own engine is probably a lot easier and safer than ripping out their own engine to plug LLVM in...

Comment

Working...
                    X