Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 4.0 Alpha 1 Is Freed For Testing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LibreOffice 4.0 Alpha 1 Is Freed For Testing

    Phoronix: LibreOffice 4.0 Alpha 1 Is Freed For Testing

    For those interested in testing out a new open-source office suite this holiday weekend, LibreOffice 4.0 Alpha 1 was quietly tagged this week...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIzNTU

  • #2
    Templates

    The templates in LibreOffice still looks like they're from 1995.

    Comment


    • #3
      Sun Microsystems got bankrupted for a good reason. While it did good hardware, it sucked a lot at creating desktop software, it simply wrote incredibly bloated and silly code - that's what I came to realize the last few years while reading random posts, and especially those related to improving LibreOffice, like this one recently. No wonder MS Office won over OpenOffice a decade ago since the competition was so lazy and out of touch with reality.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        Sun Microsystems got bankrupted for a good reason. While it did good hardware, it sucked a lot at creating desktop software, it simply wrote incredibly bloated and silly code - that's what I came to realize the last few years while reading random posts, and especially those related to improving LibreOffice, like this one recently. No wonder MS Office won over OpenOffice a decade ago since the competition was so lazy and out of touch with reality.
        it's only worse now. there is no suggar daddy like sun. libreoffice is like other anemic FOSS projects such as KDE, gimp and samba. they simply don't have the manpower and are getting a burnout

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by garegin View Post
          it's only worse now. there is no suggar daddy like sun. libreoffice is like other anemic FOSS projects such as KDE, gimp and samba. they simply don't have the manpower and are getting a burnout
          I'm not sure what either of you are talking about. Libreoffice has progressed a considerable amount since the departure from OpenOffice. While it may still be lacking in some areas, i don't encounter many functionality issues with it. I also wouldn't consider it terribly bloated when you compare it to MS Office and considering it seems to have more features (and complete ones at that) compared to other office suites.

          As for KDE, yes there does seem to be too much to maintain but I'm getting the impression they're ironing out bugs and cleaning up code before they start adding new things. KDE hasn't had many serious additions since 4.5, which to me is fine since it does what I want and every update fixes problems i encounter.

          I also don't know where you're getting that samba is getting burnt out. I got the impression that SMB file sharing was pretty much complete. Aside from homegroups and a user friendly way of setting it up, what is samba missing?

          I would have to agree that gimp is struggling badly. I'm actually pretty surprised no one has come to help them out, or more surprisingly, that there's no other open source competitor (that I'm aware of) that's actually better.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            No wonder MS Office won over OpenOffice a decade ago since the competition was so lazy and out of touch with reality.
            Is that also why internet explorer beat out netscape?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jumico View Post
              Is that also why internet explorer beat out netscape?
              The Netscape code was absolutely horrible, according to the Mozilla people. So in that case, it was both reasons

              MS being a monopolist, _and_ competition doing bad code.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by curaga View Post
                The Netscape code was absolutely horrible, according to the Mozilla people. So in that case, it was both reasons

                MS being a monopolist, _and_ competition doing bad code.
                Rofl I dont get it why MS-Fanboy-Trolls are coming to phoronix and troll about foss-software here? I would not go to a Microsoft-admin-website and bitch around about how sad Microsofts Products are, and why they are just loosing all servers and all Users to linux faster and faster... (that would be a bit biased, there is a true core in my statement but its a bit overdue, its like you do here flaming or trolling).

                Netscapes Problem was that IE did not cost 1 cent, if it owuld have cost 1 dollar, it would never won this battle in this time, but now god bless IE has lost, thanks to google, but even the Netscape-version firefox was good enough to beat him... just chromium is even better than that (faster).

                To Libreoffice, I also think it sucks, but I also think that MS Office sucks... so its more of a do you like such big slow office packages or not... I dont like non of them... but libreoffice gets now after its really a free thing where developers will not get in 90% of the time, we dont intergrate that, and a stupid feature-release-shit that also slows all down, faster better. its progresses at least in 3x speed of the before development speed, and thats great... I think even the format wars get cooled down soon when in progresses in this rate 2-3 years docx files that get not perfectly open will be a seldom thing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  LibreOffice works perfectly fine for me and many others and .docx etc. are supported very well now. A lot of people at my university use it without second thought.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Some nice new features are in there but I don't really get why they call that 4.0.
                    I'm under the impression the new version number is a reaction to Apache who are working on an actual OpenOffice 4.0 with that Lotus Symphony stuff integrated and more.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      The Netscape code was absolutely horrible, according to the Mozilla people. So in that case, it was both reasons

                      MS being a monopolist, _and_ competition doing bad code.
                      Doesn't mean the code of IE (that nobody ever really saw in the public) was any better. I had my share of these binaries and I know it was not good (either).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                        Some nice new features are in there but I don't really get why they call that 4.0.
                        I'm under the impression the new version number is a reaction to Apache who are working on an actual OpenOffice 4.0 with that Lotus Symphony stuff integrated and more.
                        I can figure out why they'd call it 4.0 but only if they called it that over a year ago. One of the reasons is libreoffice was considered compatible with industry standard this year, and also had a slew of big fixes since the OOo separation. Which leads to the other overdue reason - the separation should've put LO at a different version because it leads people to believe it is better(whether it is or not), and also just a separate product. People who aren't into open source stuff aren't used to the idea of products being forked so when they see 2 office programs that look similar, operate similar, and have similar versions, it can become misleading.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                          I can figure out why they'd call it 4.0 but only if they called it that over a year ago. One of the reasons is libreoffice was considered compatible with industry standard this year, and also had a slew of big fixes since the OOo separation.
                          Sure, LibreOffice changed but actually LO has more in common with the OO.org version it forked from than current AOO has.
                          Apache already replaced IIRC almost all copyleft dependencies with BSD or Apache licensed code. AOO 4.0 is set to get a big GUI overhaul I'm not aware of any similar plans in the LO camp.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            My problem with LibreOffice / OpenOffice is the bad compatibility with MS Office, in particular Word. So for example if I create a document in Word with a TOC and open it in LibreOffice there is no TOC. In fact tables in general are problematic. Often I receive emails at my work email with Word attachments that have errors in LibreOffice.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
                              My problem with LibreOffice / OpenOffice is the bad compatibility with MS Office
                              For me, its the name

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X