Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skype 4.1 For Linux Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    So why doesn't Valve do so? Heck even MS can supply a generic package. They can port their Steam client, port their engine but not take what amounts to being a junior intern job of packaging.
    Microsoft is a much larger company than Microsoft. Their resources might be divided bit differently. Plus, Valve has only stated that they're targeting Ubuntu for now, who knows what will happen after they work out the bugs and release.... Native Steam is already in the official Arch Linux repos ;-) I'm sure it will be in others soon enough.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by F i L View Post
      Microsoft is a much larger company than Microsoft. Their resources might be divided bit differently. Plus, Valve has only stated that they're targeting Ubuntu for now, who knows what will happen after they work out the bugs and release.... Native Steam is already in the official Arch Linux repos ;-) I'm sure it will be in others soon enough.
      That, and really, any distro can take the ubuntu deb and make it work on their distro without too much effort. They are not blocking other distro's, they just picked the most popular one to start with.

      Me personally, who doesn't even use ubuntu on his desktop (I do actually have it on my laptop) don't even mind or care. It's fine this way. The only thing they could do, is offer a generic tar.bz2 (behind a not easily find advanced function) so that distro's can pull that in when building packages.

      Linux = Linux. If it works on ubuntu, 99% chance it works on any distro you want.


      Now on topic:

      Where are some screenshots? I don't want to install this dog pile of crap, but at would be curious as to what has changed.

      Comment


      • #18
        _Still_ no 64bit rpm...

        Why the heck does it have a dependency on systemd???!!

        Comment


        • #19
          it's the future of the big rpm based distro's..............?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            Oh hey, now they write "multiarch" instead of "64-bit" in their download page. That's a welcome change to clear up misunderstandings. Though I still have no idea why they won't release a 64-bit version...
            It's a Microsoft thing. You have to work at Microsoft to get it.

            Steam is a bit tricky with a generic package because it pulls missing libs for certain games and therefore has to speak to the package manager. It's probably not easy to make this generic. Right now it is tailored to apt and Ubuntus Repos.

            BTW: On Arch the update breaks something:
            Code:
            /usr/lib32/skype/skype: error while loading shared libraries: libQtWebKit.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
            Last edited by blackout23; 11-15-2012, 06:49 AM.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
              will the 32bit opensuse rpm work on a 64 bit opensuse install?
              Yes, but it will pull a lot of -32bit packages (libqt4 etc.)

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Oh there is no illusion that they contribute with a vested interest but that could be said of any contributor. Redhat contrributes for the benefit of their product, as does AMD, as to individuals who own that product, etc.
                MS code in kernel is useful only to people that use Microstof virtualisation or run Windows virtualised. Valve contributions to Linux kernel are more significant to Joe Random User.

                Skype is basically their only (if not first...) native application visible to average Linux user. Even the advertised as highly portable* Silverlight isn't... (Moonshine^W Moonlight does not support DRM)



                * - That does not run at all on Windows XP 64bit, Windows Server 2003 and probably few others...

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by tomato View Post
                  Valve contributions to Linux kernel are more significant to Joe Random User.
                  I am sure you are about to provide us links to the tons of significant commits made by Valve ... oh wait there are none. *facepalm*

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by balta View Post
                    Yes, but it will pull a lot of -32bit packages (libqt4 etc.)
                    cheers.

                    hopefully we'll have a 64 bit version in time for opensuse 12.3 in march.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by aironeous View Post
                      Wow really? Why would they do this when they are at proxy war with linux all the time? Is this some sort of effort to eventually get MS code into linux?
                      If it brings money (and skype does), why not?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        aside from the little war about architectures, package formats and steam, this is the first way to natively use msn on desktop linux without breaking microsoft's terms of use, isn't it?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Speaking of WLM integration, I just read why they are doing it:
                          http://blogs.skype.com/en/2012/11/skypewlm.html

                          Welp. If they are going to close WLM next year, then the MSN protocol will probably cease to function. And while the idea of merging the contacts of both Skype and WLM into one program is certainly good, I'd much rather the program was Pidgin and not Skype. As it is, I'll have to use MSN -> Skype -> Pidgin instead of MSN -> Pidgin now.

                          But at least this issue can wait until around openSUSE 12.3 gets released or so.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                            Speaking of WLM integration, I just read why they are doing it:
                            http://blogs.skype.com/en/2012/11/skypewlm.html

                            Welp. If they are going to close WLM next year, then the MSN protocol will probably cease to function. And while the idea of merging the contacts of both Skype and WLM into one program is certainly good, I'd much rather the program was Pidgin and not Skype. As it is, I'll have to use MSN -> Skype -> Pidgin instead of MSN -> Pidgin now.

                            But at least this issue can wait until around openSUSE 12.3 gets released or so.
                            Actually, you probably will not. Pidgin does not support Skype, and does not plan to due to legal issues:

                            http://theflamingbanker.blogspot.com...utdown-of.html

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              It would seem that they forgot to fire the kid building Linux packages. This sometimes happens with lethargic bloated dying organizations like MS. It is going to be quite a while longer before they admit to having LOST to Linux.

                              Its kind of funny, since they're being FLATTENED by Linux. Linux (in the form of Android) has exceeded a 75% global market share in the smartphone arena. Smartphones, of course, outsell desktop/laptop computers by a pretty substantial margin. 3:1? 4:1?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
                                Actually, you probably will not. Pidgin does not support Skype, and does not plan to due to legal issues:
                                Except I'm using it right now as we speak. What they are saying is that they can't support it as a standalone protocol. But it's already supported via an integration package, through both X11 and DBus protocols, when the Skype client is running in the background ("silent mode"). It's less than ideal, and for some people most likely pointless, but personally I'd rather use a single interface than two separate ones.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X