Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.8 Is Dropping Its Fallback Mode

Phoronix: GNOME 3.8 Is Dropping Its Fallback Mode

Matthias Clasen on the behalf of the GNOME Release Team has announced that they have decided to eliminate GNOME's "fallback mode" with the upcoming 3.8 release that allowed a "GNOME classic" mode that didn't depend upon OpenGL/3D rendering and was more like the GNOME2 traitional desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news

IMO, it's a positive sign that the GNOME fellows are going for better quality regarding their vision of an fancy 3D accelerated desktop (similarly to Unity).
    Users who like the traditional efficient interface (a taskbar allowing to switch to any application anytime with a single click) have great options like lxde and xfce.
    They are truly mature desktop environments:
    - very stable due to multiple years of bugfixes
    - customizable
    - efficient resource usage (memory footprint, gpu)
    - proven desktop model for the Desktop user

Those who like the fancy and shiny new stuff should go Unity, GNOME and they pay certain price in terms of perhaps more bugs and certain resource requirements (e.g. GPU).
    There's enough goodness left for those who stick with the more traditional UI.

Comment

being realistic about these things

I agree. People who want shiny stuff, should be able to afford more CPU/GPU usage.
      Its not fair on devs to continue spending more and more time to make old things shiny while using the same resources as old.

Of course, Gnome3/Unity is for shiny and stupids :P
      I prefer cinammon

Comment

If one doesn't have money (or whatever) to update one's old/shitty graphics card once in like 7 years then not being able to update to Gnome 3.8 must be the least of one's problems.

The gnome devs made (this time) a wise and future-oriented decision.
        Last edited by mark45; 09 November 2012, 11:39 AM.

Comment

i have a ~3 year old netbook, with a 945GME. this chipset can only do textures up to 2048x2048. so it can't render a composited desktop if i plug in a second monitor and arrange it to the side. 32bit intel atom is not exactly what LLVMpipe is designed for.

I prefer gnome2/mate anyway, so no great loss to me.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            old/shitty graphics card
            It also affects VMs, ARM based PCs, live-CDs without propietary drivers and network screensharing.

Why not just abandon the whole Gnome project as well? The three users left would probably not mind much...

Comment

Originally posted by Ares Drake View Post
              It also affects VMs, ARM based PCs, live-CDs without propietary drivers and network screensharing.

Why not just abandon the whole Gnome project as well? The three users left would probably not mind much...
              Gnome (as well as KDE and Unity) guys are still working towards modern desktop (fully hw-accel, composing GUI), while many opponents even don't know what they are saying!

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                This is what is wrong in open source. Nobody wants to do what is neccessary, only what is cool.
                I agree!

So... what are you doing about it?

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                  Gnome (as well as KDE and Unity) guys are still working towards modern desktop (fully hw-accel, composing GUI), while many opponents even don't know what they are saying!
                  Oh yeah? https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012...ing-in-threes/ Riiiiiiggggghhhtttt!

Looks like I made the smart move switching to i3 ( http://www.i3wm.org/ ) 2 months ago, although to be fair, KDE3 and >4.2.0 served me pretty good, but what do I know, my desktop looked like this ( http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/5...anoua00031.jpg ) no matter what WM/DE.

Comment

Gnome is beautiful but OsX is better

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                    And they only care about users ready to use their interface, whatever this is, and they do software for them, only them.
                    This is not necessarily something negative, but once a day gnome was something else and people take time to adapt.
                    Perhaps in Gnome OS the proprietary GPU drivers will be automatically installed to provide you with the best gnome experience, why not ? Evidenty there will be many opponents...

Comment

Working...
                    X