Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.8 Is Dropping Its Fallback Mode

Phoronix: GNOME 3.8 Is Dropping Its Fallback Mode

Matthias Clasen on the behalf of the GNOME Release Team has announced that they have decided to eliminate GNOME's "fallback mode" with the upcoming 3.8 release that allowed a "GNOME classic" mode that didn't depend upon OpenGL/3D rendering and was more like the GNOME2 traitional desktop...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIyNTE

Great news

IMO, it's a positive sign that the GNOME fellows are going for better quality regarding their vision of an fancy 3D accelerated desktop (similarly to Unity).
    Users who like the traditional efficient interface (a taskbar allowing to switch to any application anytime with a single click) have great options like lxde and xfce.
    They are truly mature desktop environments:
    - very stable due to multiple years of bugfixes
    - customizable
    - efficient resource usage (memory footprint, gpu)
    - proven desktop model for the Desktop user

Those who like the fancy and shiny new stuff should go Unity, GNOME and they pay certain price in terms of perhaps more bugs and certain resource requirements (e.g. GPU).
    There's enough goodness left for those who stick with the more traditional UI.

Comment

being realistic about these things

I agree. People who want shiny stuff, should be able to afford more CPU/GPU usage.
      Its not fair on devs to continue spending more and more time to make old things shiny while using the same resources as old.

Of course, Gnome3/Unity is for shiny and stupids :P
      I prefer cinammon

Comment

If one doesn't have money (or whatever) to update one's old/shitty graphics card once in like 7 years then not being able to update to Gnome 3.8 must be the least of one's problems.

The gnome devs made (this time) a wise and future-oriented decision.
        Last edited by mark45; 11-09-2012, 10:39 AM.

Comment

i have a ~3 year old netbook, with a 945GME. this chipset can only do textures up to 2048x2048. so it can't render a composited desktop if i plug in a second monitor and arrange it to the side. 32bit intel atom is not exactly what LLVMpipe is designed for.

I prefer gnome2/mate anyway, so no great loss to me.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            old/shitty graphics card
            It also affects VMs, ARM based PCs, live-CDs without propietary drivers and network screensharing.

Why not just abandon the whole Gnome project as well? The three users left would probably not mind much...

Comment

Originally posted by Ares Drake View Post
              It also affects VMs, ARM based PCs, live-CDs without propietary drivers and network screensharing.

Why not just abandon the whole Gnome project as well? The three users left would probably not mind much...
              Gnome (as well as KDE and Unity) guys are still working towards modern desktop (fully hw-accel, composing GUI), while many opponents even don't know what they are saying!

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                This is what is wrong in open source. Nobody wants to do what is neccessary, only what is cool.
                I agree!

So... what are you doing about it?

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                  Gnome (as well as KDE and Unity) guys are still working towards modern desktop (fully hw-accel, composing GUI), while many opponents even don't know what they are saying!
                  Oh yeah? https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012...ing-in-threes/ Riiiiiiggggghhhtttt!

Looks like I made the smart move switching to i3 ( http://www.i3wm.org/ ) 2 months ago, although to be fair, KDE3 and >4.2.0 served me pretty good, but what do I know, my desktop looked like this ( http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/5...anoua00031.jpg ) no matter what WM/DE.

Comment

Gnome is beautiful but OsX is better

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                    And they only care about users ready to use their interface, whatever this is, and they do software for them, only them.
                    This is not necessarily something negative, but once a day gnome was something else and people take time to adapt.
                    Perhaps in Gnome OS the proprietary GPU drivers will be automatically installed to provide you with the best gnome experience, why not ? Evidenty there will be many opponents...

Comment

Was fun while it lasted.

Originally posted by mayankleoboy1 View Post
                      I agree. People who want shiny stuff
                      And you can stop right there. The rest of your argument is irrelevant.
                      I'm using Gnome fallback session precisely because I DONT want shiny (aka Gnome-Shell).

In the almost 10 years that I've been using gnome, they couldn't fix a bloody taskbar.
                      gnome-panel has ALWAYS crashed, regularly.
                      And now you kids want to follow them along on a magic carpet ride.
                      Ride the wave into the future, as they bring you the "next evolution in desktop usability".
                      Well thanks, but no thanks. I'm getting off at the next stop.

Unity,KDE,cinnamon are suffer from the same disease: Run the computer into the ground
                      bringing me eye-candy I don't want, instead of staying out of my way.
                      Compositing has done Z-E-R-O to improve my productivity, at the expense of increased
                      hardware requirements+prices, buggy drivers, more ram+cpu.
                      They all run like molasses and abondon they're original intent which was to launch applications.
                      I love special effects too. But don't slow me down to look at them while I'm working!

And now Gtk3 isn't even cross-platform any longer. I'm curious exactly what the gnome
                      devs do have resources for? I'd say "it's sad to watch this organization implode, discard they're
                      loyal user-base, chasing this bird in the bush." But clearly that's what they want. Best of luck to them.

Sigh, only question now is, where to run to?

Comment

Originally posted by project_phelius View Post
                        I've found both LXDE and XFCE wonderful alternatives. They feel polished, (fairly) minimalistic, usable and mature. Both are properly customizable. I was a Gnome user before, tried to get used to Unity really hard, but after trying to switch between 6 xterms (or 3 IntelliJ windows) I gave up.
                        I found LXDE super usable and it feels really nice to be 1 click away from anything (launch icons in taskbar + task list).

Comment

Originally posted by project_phelius View Post
                          And you can stop right there. The rest of your argument is irrelevant.
                          I'm using Gnome fallback session precisely because I DONT want shiny (aka Gnome-Shell).

In the almost 10 years that I've been using gnome, they couldn't fix a bloody taskbar.
                          gnome-panel has ALWAYS crashed, regularly.
                          And now you kids want to follow them along on a magic carpet ride.
                          Ride the wave into the future, as they bring you the "next evolution in desktop usability".
                          Well thanks, but no thanks. I'm getting off at the next stop.

Unity,KDE,cinnamon are suffer from the same disease: Run the computer into the ground
                          bringing me eye-candy I don't want, instead of staying out of my way.
                          Compositing has done Z-E-R-O to improve my productivity, at the expense of increased
                          hardware requirements+prices, buggy drivers, more ram+cpu.
                          They all run like molasses and abondon they're original intent which was to launch applications.
                          I love special effects too. But don't slow me down to look at them while I'm working!

And now Gtk3 isn't even cross-platform any longer. I'm curious exactly what the gnome
                          devs do have resources for? I'd say "it's sad to watch this organization implode, discard they're
                          loyal user-base, chasing this bird in the bush." But clearly that's what they want. Best of luck to them.

I ran to Ubuntu 12.04, which will remain supported until April of 2017. While I use Compiz under fallback mode, I also have a scripted widget for running metacity with the click of a button, and then switch back just as easily. I think it's the best of both worlds - pretty when I want it to be (along with some nice windowshade functionality - I can't believe how much I miss that when it's not there), and pure performance when I need it to be.

Comment

So long gnome, I've been using it since before 1.0, but I need a useable desktop. A simple 2 dimentional pager to switch between desktop (that has existed since long before gnome) is a necessity to me, and a dynamic number of workspaces is just stupid.

Comment

E17 works great on my netbook, with its ass-tastic CPU and GPU (although the GPU, being a Radeon, is probably better than the average Intel netbook GPU). Arch Linux apparently has E17 svn packages in the main repository, so installation was surprisingly easy. There are a few warts, but overall, I find it a very pleasant experience. The E17 guys claim their flashy eye-candy works fine in software mode, even on slow CPUs, but I have yet to try that. The only real slowdown I've seen was when I was transferring 30GB of files from an external hard disk to the internal hard disk, with both disks using encryption. The netbook's poor little 1.6 GHz single-core CPU was at about 50% from that alone.

On the same machine, Unity was almost unusably slow. GNOME Shell was pretty slow, too, but its interaction paradigm was far more obnoxious than the slowness. With E17, I have the 2x2 grid of virtual desktops that I know and love, something that is apparently anathema to GNOME Shell.

Comment

Working...
                              X