Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opera 12.10 Browser Improves Extensions

Phoronix: Opera 12.10 Browser Improves Extensions

The Norwegians have released Opera 12.10 this morning. While Windows and Mac OS X improvements are the primary focus of improvements for this release, an updated Linux version is also available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Whatever

Source or gtfo

Firefox and Chromium have extensions too, so whatever.

Comment

opera is awesome engineering

opera is awesome engineering. It uses only a single core. But its UI is completely separate from the layout.
      Chrome does it by creating a different process for each tab, which is excessive IMHO. Each process can use a different core.
      Firefox does nothing of this sort. Its UI and layout are tied togeher. So if a layout/JS is taking too long to process, the whole UI slows. Which is poor engineering .

The awesome thing about Opera is that it manages to do so using a sigle core only. Which is pretty big. Of course its closed source. But give credit where due.

Comment

It's a great company to work for too.. You get full freedom to select OS/distro for your computer, everyone in management (I think) has a programming background and pretty much every perk you've read that they have at Google (except free candy and soda, we get fruit and coffee).

Comment

Originally posted by johanar View Post
          It's a great company to work for too.. You get full freedom to select OS/distro for your computer, everyone in management (I think) has a programming background and pretty much every perk you've read that they have at Google (except free candy and soda, we get fruit and coffee).
          good to hear, I love Opera, been using it for as long as I can remember, only thing I don't like is that when I report a bug I don't get the feeling its looked at or worked on, an open bugzilla or a none-computer reply would be better

Comment

Opera is a brilliant browser. For me it's only second to Firefox. I am glad that they give Linux this kind of support.

Comment

1% market share

Opera may be a great web browser but it is doomed to forever stay at 1% market share.
              The web is open. Opera doesn't get it.

source or gtfo

Comment

I don't get why people are so obsessed with market share (it always comes up in the comments when there's news about Opera).. We have slightly more than 200 million active users on Opera Mini or Mobile (~20% mobile market btw), around 70 million on desktop IIRC and I don't know how many who use Opera technology in their gaming consoles, tvs and other devices but quite a few, and it generates enough income to pay our salaries. It might sound a bit cheesy, but to me it doesn't matter if we're smaller than Google, Apple and Microsoft, or even Mozilla, as long as it stays an awesome place to work and our users are happy.

@Xilanaz I know what you're talking about, our handling of bug reports could be better. Is there any problem, which still exists in 12.10, in particular that you were thinking of?

Comment

I don't get why people are so obsessed with market share (it always comes up in the comments when there's news about Opera).. We have slightly more than 200 million active users on Opera Mini or Mobile (~20% mobile market btw), around 70 million on desktop IIRC and I don't know how many who use Opera technology in their gaming consoles, tvs and other devices but quite a few, and it generates enough income to pay our salaries. It might sound a bit cheesy, but to me it doesn't matter if we're smaller than Google, Apple and Microsoft, or even Mozilla, as long as it stays an awesome place to work and our users are happy.
                  This. They fill a niche and have millions of users.

Personally, I will always use one of the open browsers before I use Opera, but I occasionally test webpages with Opera, and it is a very standards-compliant browser. Also, Opera guys have never attempted the type of shenanigans that Microsoft and Netscape used to pull. If there are enough people interested in their product, good for them.

Comment

I don't get why people are so obsessed with market share (it always comes up in the comments when there's news about Opera)..
                    Why is the web open but Opera isn't?
                    Why is Firefox and Chrome open source, but Opera isn't?

Why isn't Opera open source?

Comment

Working...
                    X