Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Looks To An SDK, Improved App Development

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Not sure about Arch. Last time I tried it (a few months ago), I was dropped in a text-mode console after installation. I doesn't look like an alternative to Ubuntu to me. An alternative to Gentoo perhaps. But not Ubuntu.

    Comment


    • #12
      All Python apps from Ubuntu are slow, too slow and laggy. That Ubuntu Software Center is poor in respect to quality of software. On top of that the user loses functionality like knowing what's going on during the installation and what files does the package install. Also, you can't configure the repositories from there, you have to do it from the menu on the top right corner of the screen. That's not usable. Two related configurations are now separated and in completely different places.

      It's also impossible or very difficult to find installed packages and configure, reconfigure, uninstall or purge them (remove completely). The sorting options are bad too. Add to that the slowness of the application and you want to throw your laptop away.

      They should implement at least an "advanced user" mode where the user could see and do all those things.

      If they do an SDK, of course it will be oriented to using Unity's libraries and other Ubuntu libraries like the notification system, etc., but it should accept using other libraries too. Must be conformant to the LSB.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
        All Python apps from Ubuntu are slow, too slow and laggy. That Ubuntu Software Center is poor in respect to quality of software. On top of that the user loses functionality like knowing what's going on during the installation and what files does the package install. Also, you can't configure the repositories from there, you have to do it from the menu on the top right corner of the screen. That's not usable. Two related configurations are now separated and in completely different places.

        It's also impossible or very difficult to find installed packages and configure, reconfigure, uninstall or purge them (remove completely). The sorting options are bad too. Add to that the slowness of the application and you want to throw your laptop away.

        They should implement at least an "advanced user" mode where the user could see and do all those things.

        If they do an SDK, of course it will be oriented to using Unity's libraries and other Ubuntu libraries like the notification system, etc., but it should accept using other libraries too. Must be conformant to the LSB.
        Advanced users are not expected to be satisfied with Ubuntu. Try another distribution like Gentoo or Debian and you will be fine.

        Comment


        • #14
          I'm an advanced user and I'm not satisfied with Gentoo or Debian, nor Ubuntu shouldn't catter only novice users. An operative system is there to make your life easier. Making it easier doesn't mean treating you like a dumb person or someone without any knowledge. It's like saying Mac OS X is not for advanced users, only for graphic designers and people who just want to show their computer and how georgeous it is.
          Last edited by Filiprino; 10-28-2012, 06:50 AM.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
            I'm an advanced user and I'm not satisfied with Gentoo or Debian, nor Ubuntu shouldn't catter only novice users. An operative system is there to make your life easier. Making it easier doesn't mean treating you like a dumb person or someone without any knowledge. It's like saying Mac OS X is not for advanced users, only for graphic designers and people who just want to show their computer and how georgeous it is.
            If that's your point, why are you using Ubuntu then, when it limits you in your capabilities?

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by frign View Post
              If that's your point, why are you using Ubuntu then, when it limits you in your capabilities?
              There's a big difference between Ubuntu limiting my capabilities and Software Center being bad software that has a lot of improvements to do.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
                There's a big difference between Ubuntu limiting my capabilities and Software Center being bad software that has a lot of improvements to do.
                So you are using Synaptics (or apt-get, aptitude) exclusively?

                Comment


                • #18
                  Yes. But if the Software Center had what Synaptics and apt-get or aptitude have, it would be very interesting. The comment system, punctuations, screenshots, good showing of categories, etc. are also useful features.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Personally I think advanced users shouldn't have trouble installing Synaptic and using that alongside Software Center.
                    With that said, having the advanced functionality within the Software Center wouldn't be bad, but obviously not "in your face"(it's not its purpose), maybe an option to turn it on or access it through the menu.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      To improve app development, improve the tools used.
                      Get a Visual Studio (very extensive windows IDE) alternative that makes software development as easy as possible.
                      Must support C/C++ and a few scripting languages minimum.
                      Include testing tools, profiling tools, graphical interfaces for things like packages(deb and rpm), GUI builder(GTK and Qt minimum) and checking if stuff conforms to LSB. All in one easy to download, install package.
                      Add a bunch of script to use all kinds of available compilers. Including for compilers for microprocessors such as the PIC18 series.
                      Include capabilities to do web development.

                      We need a Visual Studio alternative for Linux.
                      Last edited by plonoma; 10-28-2012, 09:26 AM.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X