Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The First GNOME 3.8 Development Release

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
    yeh its a nice browser
    +1

    It's good that WebKitGTK+ and ephiphany is improving further. It might be my primary browser soon.

    Comment


    • #17
      Gnome-ScreenSaver, among others...

      When oh, when will GSS will actually, well... Display Screen Saver programs? Yet there are available for the "system" a number of screen savers (RSS-GL included) to no avail, since they are pretty much useless with the current release. Plus, the control center almost 8 releases down the road is pretty much useless, with very limited functionality (sure it feels as an improvement in regards to the version shipped in Gnome 3.0, but still it lacks a TON!).

      Comment


      • #18
        The Epiphany web-browser no longer allows you to disable JavaScript from the user-interface with the reasoning that JS is so widespread and dependent for most web-sites. "Remove JavaScript preference from the UI. Pretty much every single page the average user visits needs JavaScript, so this is a "Please break my web" preference in disguise. For those concerned about security and/or privacy the GSetting remains available."
        that's one of the greatest bullshit explenations i ever heard and it is totally untrue! actually the VERY most part of the web works fine with js disabled. i very rarely meet websites where i need to enable it. though thanks to noscript, using it on firefox allows me to have it only enabled for this RARE cases.

        i do not like this attitude with less and less customization options. imho it is the totally wrong way to go. i like the concept of gnome shell, but gnome feels going into useless with this attitude... sadly. it is really annoying to need installing and tweaking themes to change minor things usually being possible to change such things on every DE since any DE existed.

        edit: for me personally there is not a real alternative to gnome. don't know how well kde works today. i "had to use" till late 3.x version and it was the most unstable and bloaded DE i ever used. tried an early 4.x version around 2 years ago only for a very short time on my htpc. can't tell if it got more stable but it was very power consuming and bloated. and i don't like xfce and the other lightweight DE. they all look too ugly for me, even with all the customizations i found available to them.
        i just remember how it was using kde 2.x... it felt like using old windows. looked ugly, was somehow crashing every few days, trying to do everything its own stupid way... it was like enforcing all the windows mistakes on linux. we even called it at my university "the linux windows".
        Last edited by a user; 10-26-2012, 08:54 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
          +1

          It's good that WebKitGTK+ and ephiphany is improving further. It might be my primary browser soon.
          i did ditch gnome in favour of mate though

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
            When oh, when will GSS will actually, well... Display Screen Saver programs?
            The last time I cared about screen savers was in the 90's.

            Comment


            • #21
              it seems that gtk3 is really not ready for wayland by fedora 19. you think by fedora 20 they can at least ship wayland as the primary desktop, albeit with most apps running under x?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                Does anyone, even just one person, anywhere, on the whole planet, actually use epiphany?
                I use Epiphany whenever possible. It works most of the time great, though it used to be so that Ubuntu's version for some reason sucked. Note that I don't use Flash, so I have no problems with Epiphany 64 bit not supporting Adobe's flash.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by moilami View Post
                  I use Epiphany whenever possible. It works most of the time great, though it used to be so that Ubuntu's version for some reason sucked. Note that I don't use Flash, so I have no problems with Epiphany 64 bit not supporting Adobe's flash.
                  if we have here much epiphany users, is there a way to hit the links per keyboard I use a keyboard-expention for chromium... I dont want to use always the mouse so thats a must have feature for me...

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                    if we have here much epiphany users, is there a way to hit the links per keyboard I use a keyboard-expention for chromium... I dont want to use always the mouse so thats a must have feature for me...
                    it's possible to navigate through a page via tab and enter in epiphany.

                    I found out that wikipedia claims that Epiphany is called Web actually
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphany_(browser)
                    I don't think this wikipedia article is serious. Everywhere it still says Epiphany instead of Web.
                    Last edited by Fenrin; 10-27-2012, 12:52 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
                      it's possible to navigate through a page via tab and enter in epiphany.

                      I found out that wikipedia claims that Epiphany is called Web actually
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphany_(browser)
                      I don't think this wikipedia article is serious. Everywhere it still says Epiphany instead of Web.
                      With the allusions of grandeur the gnome people suffer from I'm not surprised that they'd name their web browser "web" or "browser". Or their network manager "network-manager".

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        " No wonder less and less people actually use Gnome on their desktops. "


                        STOP HATING, it's not for desktops it's for tablets and smartphones....



















                        tablets and smartphones that only exist on the gnome developer's mind...




                        but if you think about them long enough they might materialize

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X