Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Switches Back To GRUB2 For SecureBoot

Phoronix: Ubuntu Switches Back To GRUB2 For SecureBoot

Canonical has reversed their stance on the boot-loader to use for Ubuntu Linux when dealing with UEFI SecureBoot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meh, I knew this would come.

Comment

Good news.

Comment

Really great. It now takes two seconds to render the boot menu

Comment

You dont need grub when you use efi. Did you ever try without?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            You dont need grub when you use efi. Did you ever try without?
            Never bothered, since it was working fine until I upgraded to Kubuntu 12.10beta. That installed GRUB2 and made a mess, but I didn't have time to look into it yet.

Comment

And your system uses uefi? You mean it updated from grub 1.99 to 2.00 i think?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                And your system uses uefi? You mean it updated from grub 1.99 to 2.00 i think?
                Yes and yes.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Ubuntu only displays the menu if you have multiple operating systems. It's no different then how it used to be.

Never bothered, since it was working fine until I upgraded to Kubuntu 12.10beta. That installed GRUB2 and made a mess, but I didn't have time to look into it yet.
                  The switch from GRUB to GRUB2 happened with Ubuntu 9.10. The difference between 1.99 and 2.00 is a few bug fixes, features and that is is now no longer considered beta.

Comment

GRUB has been slow to load for me since around 10.04, and only in Ubuntu and derivatives. It's speedy for every other distro. You wouldn't think that a bootloader would need lots of distro-specific patches but it seems like they must add them.

Comment

Working...
                    X