Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce 4.12 Planned For March, GTK3 Still Uncertain

Phoronix: Xfce 4.12 Planned For March, GTK3 Still Uncertain

While most of the Linux desktop talk these days is about Unity, KDE, and GNOME, advancing in a quiet but steadfast manner is Xfce. The next major release of Xfce, version 4.12, is due out in March. It's undecided at this time though whether Xfce 4.12 will use GTK2 or GTK3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Screw them, I already ported over half their core desktop apps to GTK3 over a year ago. It took barely two evenings of coding. The git branches are still available, and they are well aware of them. They're just sticking their heads in the sand, not being cautious engineers.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
      Screw them, I already ported over half their core desktop apps to GTK3 over a year ago. It took barely two evenings of coding. The git branches are still available, and they are well aware of them. They're just sticking their heads in the sand, not being cautious engineers.
      Yeah, sticking with GTK2 is a bad idea IMO, moving to the current GTK codebase will make things easier in the future, they are digging themselves into a hole if they don't.

Comment

I'm using XFCE Xubuntu 12.10 and I love the DE but, they are getting into trouble with panel indicators, because most of them moved to gtk3.

At least they should port the panel to GTK3.

Dev's say that gtk3 is not faster than gk2 and it takes more memory.Is this true, or a lazy excuse?

Comment

I hate GTK3's color-picker.
          I can't stand Gnome3's Application Settings panel.

Just an odd curiosity, fonts should scale when you re-size a window below it's mini,um. Or join us next time
          when Zombies eat your desktop.

XFCE4 still sane

Gnome is zombie bait.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
            I hate GTK3's color-picker.
            I can't stand Gnome3's Application Settings panel.

Just an odd curiosity, fonts should scale when you re-size a window below it's mini,um. Or join us next time
            when Zombies eat your desktop.

XFCE4 still sane

Gnome is zombie bait.
            What does gnome 3's control center have to do with xfce/gtk3? Stop trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
              Yeah, sticking with GTK2 is a bad idea IMO, moving to the current GTK codebase will make things easier in the future, they are digging themselves into a hole if they don't.
              I can't find any technical justification for rushing like lemmings to GTK+ 3. Few app's will benefit.
              The LTS versions of the most popular distro's will be required to support GTK+ 2 for years to come.

LXDE dev's are not in a hurry : http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp...de.pcmanfm/239
              XFCE dev's are not in a hurry : http://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce4...ay/029843.html
              Chromium still on GTK+ 2 for a long time : http://code.google.com/p/chromium/is...etail?id=79722

So apart from faddism I'm at a loss to justify this heavy breathing & sweating about porting like crazy to a less mature, less memory efficient toolkit.
              Olease explain?

Comment

Originally posted by narciso View Post
                Dev's say that gtk3 is not faster than gk2 and it takes more memory.Is this true, or a lazy excuse?
                It is true. They showed the exact numbers as well. See this thread:

Comment

What is needed to be done to get it ported to gtk3

The reason they don't want gtk3 is that it takes significantly more memory and is noticeable slower, which makes it not "fun" to port it. The developers are volunteers, using their spare time for hacking so the "fun" part is their only salary.

If you seriously want gtk3 support for xfce, then you should build the currently ported xfce libs (they are in xfce git), and show that the memory usage have improved in latest gtk3 release or git - or optimize memory usage in gtk3.

You should also give the xfce devs some "proof" that gtk3 will no longer break theming every release in future.

Those two issues fixed in gtk3 and I am sure xfce-4.12 will get support for gtk3.

Comment

Originally posted by narciso View Post
                    They showed the exact numbers.

Comment

Working...
                    X